• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nForce3 with a confirmed PCI lock was available at newegg for the last two months

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hrhrhrFOOT said:
OMG same exact thing with my k8n, it starts locking at 201 fsb, and im running stable at 2275, 7.5*303.75
K8n pro is cheaper though ;)

sorry if this is a noob question, but im looking into upgrading to a 64bit athlon, and was wondering how you manage to get 303 fsb

is that at 1/1, as i have some BH5 corsair and thought this would have been ideal for the set up:

3400+
NF250

but seeing fsb like 250+, is now making me think about upgrading my ram also, as my current BH5 only tops out at 222fsb at 11,2,2,2 2.9v

but seeing fsb like 250+, is now making me think about upgrading my ram also, as my current BH5 only tops out at 222fsb at 11,2,2,2 2.9v

Your ram would do more then that with more Vdimm. Send those things my way with my DFI 3.3vdimm. I'll get em to clock higher!

I, too, of course have had no issues running extremely high speeds. It seems like the unlocked PCI bus in the nForce3 150 was actually a rumor, at least in regards to some boards. With this in mind, I'd eliminate the AOpen as a good choice; 1.55v is nowhere near enough to work with for good overclocking headroom. And now, I see nearly no compelling reasons to bother to wait for newer chipsets. The few of us that have taken the plunge are for the most part very happy with this platform. I myself am so happy that I run stock most of the time. I honestly can't see any difference. The Shuttle and Gigabyte are both excellent boards, and many have had success with each. To anyone who is considering to purchase one, I can almost guarantee complete satisfaction. Waiting can never hurt, but in this case, I don't think that purchasing now will either.

Time will tell.

Yikes, how promising and tempting does it get?

This is great news!

Wow thats incredible.....an AMD chip that clocks like an Intel

You said it. Oh my, I'm thinking of the possiblities that exist with good RAM and a VDIMM volt mod...

It's going to get hard to hold out on a 64-bit platform, what with the incredible results we're seeing, and amazing news like this. Why wait now ;)?

Two detailed reviews of a motherboard for 754 that uses the chipset Nforce3 250 GB.

More raid channels and raid 0+1, gigabit networking, build-in firewall, ....
PCI-lock becomes a non-issue.

MSI K8N Neo (250 GB 754)
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA3
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2036

Many more motherboards for 754 using the Nforce3 250 GB chipset should be coming/available soon. Also for 939 is also coming.

So the current/soon-to-be (in April 04) possibilities are, IMO:
- motherboard w/ Nforce3 250 GB + 754 CPU (price performance)
- motherboard w/ Nforce3 250 GB + 939 CPU (more money for CPU ?)
There is a possibility for the chipset K8T800 Pro instead of the 250 GB, depends on how it performs.

Remarks on A64 and various platforms (page 19)

Links to Nforce3 250 GB reviews and motherboards (page 19)

Last edited:
I was wondering if the k8t800 was locked when using the softare to overclock. I hit 230mhz with it and my extigy which is exteral USB seems to work just fine. Isn't the most stable. It is stable at 220mhz though.

More raid channels and raid 0+1, gigabit networking, build-in firewall, ....
PCI-lock becomes a non-issue.
My K8N Pro has all of the above, and it has a PCI lock. But onboard devices guarantee nothing. They all operate off of the PCI bus, whether onboard or not.

I was wondering if the k8t800 was locked when using the softare to overclock. I hit 230mhz with it and my extigy which is exteral USB seems to work just fine. Isn't the most stable. It is stable at 220mhz though.
The K8T800 is not PCI or AGP locked. However, its rumored that some boards have 1/7 and even 1/8 PCI dividers.

Much obliged hitechjb1.

Please PM if you come across any VIA K8T800 Pro (not K8T800) vs. nForce3 250 (not 150) comparisons.

Gautam, I need to edit post #1, please confirm:

Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro now has a confirmed PCI lock as well + it's the recommended nForce3 150 mobo?

Gautam said:

My K8N Pro has all of the above, and it has a PCI lock. But onboard devices guarantee nothing. They all operate off of the PCI bus, whether onboard or not.

The K8T800 is not PCI or AGP locked. However, its rumored that some boards have 1/7 and even 1/8 PCI dividers.

I think the Nforce3 250 GB chipset supports 4 SATA drives and 4 IDE drives. Also the SATA and IDE channel can be mixed or independently to form RAID 0, 1 or 0+1.

I think the K8N Pro (Nforce3 150 chipset) supports only 2 SATA drives and 4 IDE drives, and does not support RAID 0+1.

c627627 said:
Gautam, I need to edit post #1, please confirm:

Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro now has a confirmed PCI lock as well + it's the recommended nForce3 150 mobo?

I can confirm a PCI lock, but its being "the" recommended nForce3 150 mobo, I dunno. The Shuttle is also very nice. Both are quite solid for sure. I don't see any practical differences between the two really, except that the Shuttle derives vDimm from the +5v rail, which modders would welcome. The K8N Pro has a dual BIOS, which protects you from bad BIOS flashes. That's pretty much it.

I think the Nforce3 250 GB chipset supports 4 SATA drives and 4 IDE drives. Also the SATA and IDE channel can be mixed or independently to form RAID 0, 1 or 0+1.

I think the K8N Pro (Nforce3 150 chipset) supports only 2 SATA drives and 4 IDE drives, and does not support RAID 0+1.
Correct. The PATA controller supports RAID 0+1, but not the SATA controller. But this is board-specific, and not chipset specific, AFAIK.

c627627 said:

Since the 250 GB chipset is close to being available, more features (direct SATA RAID support 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD, more RAID channels, span over SATA and IDE, ...), faster HT bus, less bugs, with PCI-lock, ..., why considering the 150 chipset now?

A more interesting question is whether

250 GB + 754 CPU
or
250 GB + 939 CPU

(The K8T800 PRO being an alternative, but not much motherboard info available.)

Last edited:
Since the 250 GB chipset is close to being available, more features, less bugs, with PCI-lock, ..., why considering the 150 chipset now?
Plenty of nF3 150 boards have PCI locks. I'm listening to music right here at what would be a 50MHz PCI bus on my SB Audigy2. The only bugs I've encountered are specific to DTR laptop processors, AFAIK, because no one else has, and even these are insignificant at best.

So, we've found two "features" that the 250 will offer over the 150, the first being the 800MHz HT, the second being a slightly improved SATA RAID controller. The nF3 150 can usually handle HT speeds into the 700MHz range anyways, and the performance difference is minimal. I don't use four hard drives, and I doubt most others do either. For me, RAID 0+1 is a moot point; I can't afford four HD's anyways. If one must use four hard drives, the PATA RAID controller supports RAID 0+1, and there is a very minimal difference between SATA and PATA performance. For these reasons, I believe that few will be affected by the very minor shortcomings of the nF3 150.

The matter at hand is when exactly are we planning to see these boards? I've seen engineering sample reviews, reference boards, speculation, etc, over the nF3 250 for the past few months, yet I have yet to see a board in the market. The date simply seems to be getting pushed farther and farther back. See the 250 as a minor revision only to the nF3 150, not a whole new chipset, because there only minor differences between the two.

939 is another story.

Another note: It seems like the PCI bus and the AGP bus are synced with one another. Even if I don't set the BIOS to 201 or higher for the automatic lock (which I can't), I have no problems in manually adjusting the AGP bus rate from ClockGen, which also seems to allow me to control the PCI bus rate concurrently.

Maxvla said:
250GB support 8 SATA and 4 IDE

From what I read, the 250GB directly supports 4 SATA drives, 2 IDE channels (4 drives), w/ RAID 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD, and can span the RAID between SATA and IDE, ....

These direct RAID supports and new features are desirable for building servers, file servers, ....

QUOTE from
http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/nforce3-250gb/index.x?pg=1

# Serial ATA — Serial ATA support didn't make it into the nForce3 150, but NVIDIA redeems itself by supporting a total of four SATA devices on the 250Gb. The chipset has internal ports for two Serial ATA devices, and another two ports can be served through an external PHY chip.

# Robust RAID — The nForce3 250Gb supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, and JBOD arrays across all four of its Serial ATA ports, but that's not all. RAID arrays can also be configured using drives connected to the 250Gb's two ATA/133 IDE channels, and the chipset even supports RAID arrays that span both Serial ATA and ATA/133 drives. The 250Gb's support for ATA/133 RAID is particularly notable because the VIA VT8237 south bridge only supports RAID for Serial ATA drives.

In addition to supporting multiple RAID arrays on or across multiple storage channels, the nForce3 250Gb can be configured with spare disks and even hot standby drives for mission critical arrays. The 250Gb also supports on-the-fly rebuilds for mirrored arrays.

Last edited:
ok i see it now. i had read the anandtech review and they said something about 8 drive raid array, but i guess they meant the 4 sata and 4 ide drives all in one. i thought they meant 8 sata drives.

This direct RAID supports by the 250 GB chipset
- with the RAID spanning over SATA channels and IDE channels for 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD
- hot swap feature is interesting for 24/7 server (have to see how reliable it is),
- with separate HT bus for the disk data,
- with separate memory bus for memory data,
I can see the 250GB + 754 / 939 CPU become very desirable for server and file server, over the 150 chipset.

Further Nforce3 250 GB has higher stock HT bandwidth compared to Nforce3 150, plus the obvious working PCI-lock, misc fixes, then it boils down to the price of 754 vs 939 and which motherboard has better implementation if needing to build a A64 within the next 3 months.

939 would always has an edge theoretically, it boils down to price/performance of the system, price and memory bandwidth tradeoff.

Back