• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nForce3 with a confirmed PCI lock was available at newegg for the last two months

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shaitan said:
Wow - certainly something I did not know or had not seen mentioned about the K8T800 Pro.

Just like the nForce3 250, the K8T800 Pro is made to run at 2GHz HT for Socket 939. In reality it is only 1GHz HT. It's like how the K8T800 is made to run at 1600MHz HT, when it's really only 800MHz.

Ah, makes sense - so does that mean that a K8T800 Pro/Nforce3 250 mobo would be compatabile with 939 chip? As in there would be no need to upgrade the mobo as well when moving from socket 754 to 939?

Shaitan said:
Ah, makes sense - so does that mean that a K8T800 Pro/Nforce3 250 mobo would be compatabile with 939 chip? As in there would be no need to upgrade the mobo as well when moving from socket 754 to 939?

No, there will still be Socket 754 motherboards and Socket 939 motherboards.

The chipset itself will support both chipsets. Just like the chipsets now, K8T800 and nF3 150, have support for both Socket 940 and Socket 754 motherboards, and are found on both.

c627627 said:

HUH :confused:

VIA K8T800 Pro (not K8T800) is supposed to have a PCI lock.
Just like every VIA since 2000 was... :rolleyes:

I'd be more surprised if they actually followed through with it. This comes as absolutely no surprise to me.

Gautam, I just got a reply from the guy whos tested 250GB for the Inquirer that VIA K8T800 Pro (not K8T800) will have a PCI lock.

It may be history repeating itself when MSI itself told Anandtech that their nForce2 was not PCI locked yet remember the fuss that was raised untill it finally was proved that MSI itself was wrong.

So it's between the Inquirer and that Abit rep and right now I don't know who to believe but there are multiple sources that say VIA K8T800 is not be PCI locked but VIA K8T800 PRO will be.

He also says it's a maybe that at least some VIA Pro's will have quality sound (since nForce3 150 and 250 will not have SoundStorm like some nForce2s)

Last edited:
So...the K8N pro has a AGP/PCI lock for sure now....
is there a particular BIOS update / version that is known to have enabled this lock...or has the lock always been there and we just assumed not cuz ... some people not having luck with the board or what not.

This board is appealing to me every day now that it has PCI lock.
Also I heard that SATA AND PATA RAID onboard can be the pickiest about PCI speed....I run PATA RAID 0 2 drives on current system anyone have a PATA RAID setup that is doing good overclocking with this board and no HD problems?

If Im garunteed that all this PCI stuff is true then of course I shouldnt have to worry about that question above, I just want to be sure before I purchase mey A64 system.

I think the Gigabyte K8N Pro has different PCI dividers kick in when you oc to certain speeds. Don't quote me on that though...I don't own one or an A64.

Even though Gigabyte K8N is based on nForce3 150, it's actually PCI locked.

Last edited:
Silent Buddha said:
I think the Gigabyte K8N Pro has different PCI dividers kick in when you oc to certain speeds. Don't quote me on that though...I don't own one or an A64.
I do :D
And i can assure you, it has a lock. 313.88 alllllllll day with this gem....
All you have to do is overclock fsb to 201 fsb in bios to kick in lock. You can do clockgen in windows to get the high fsb.

Abit called a K8T800 chipset mobo KV8 PRO.

It's not based on the PRO chipset at all.

VIA K8T800 Pro (not K8T800) will have a have a PCI lock.

Originally posted by ABIT Marketing
I checked it last night and it doesn't have AGP nor PCI bus lock.

EDIT: It appears that the Abit board is based on the Pro chipset:
Originally posted by Gautam
Errr no, that is the K8T800 Pro. Look at the left side of the box. Only the Pro supports a 2000MHz HT bus. The KV8 is K8T800 based, and it does not have a PCI or AGP lock.

Last edited:
What a heck was Abit thinking, it's not like they didn't know that Pro chipset would be out.

I'm sick of these companies scamming us with product names like GeForce 5200, [it's slower than GeForce 4200 (heck, slower than old GeForce3 even) but costing twice as much], etc...

Thats the name of the game, and why places like this are a gold mine though... How is Joe Sixpack supposed to know the difference? If you don't have a place like this to get you "into the know", its hard to keep track of everything.

Because a chipset says they have PCI/AGP lock doesn't mean it will be implemented in every motherboard. The nForce3 150 and SiS-755 chipsets have announced PCI/AGP lock, and the nForce3 150 has shown it, yet there are many boards out there that do not have PCI lock.

Abit expressly marketed the VIA "K8T800 PRO" chipset on KV8 Pro specifications, packaging, and support products (manual). They expressly advertised the boards capability of supporting the 2000MHz (1000MHz) Hyper Transport, a feature that the K8T800 chipset does not support.

The Abit KV8 Pro does have the VIA K8T800 PRO chipset.

Back