• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nidec BETAV TA450DC wiring help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhiteHat

Registered
The Thermaltake is a 3 wire not a four wire.

I have several Nidec BETAV TA450DC my only issue is not knowing which wire is what

1x black
1x red
1x blue
1x white

What color corresponds to:

Ground?
+12v?
Sense?
Control?

I am wanting to use these for CPU0 and CPU1 on the EVGA SR-2 MOBO instead of the 3wire Thermaltake with the dial so the BIOS will control the fan speed.

Thanx all

Well I dunno, I am no help. Black/Red is easy.

In all the bombs I see disconnected with wirecutters it's always the umm... orange. Darn, no help there.

No luck with a search on google etc? Nidec has a Spec webpage, they make MANY MANY fans. Give it a try?

http://www.nidec.com/ta450dc25/ta450dc25.htm

And that seems to be no help. What is the common Nidec coloring scheme?

Last edited:
Hmm, I see that Nidec doesn't give any color coding of their wiring besides +12v and ground, unlike Sanyo Denki does for their pwm fans. I think one thing you could try though would be to hook the fan up to a psu and then try jumping either the blue or white wires to the ground (black) wire and see if the speed drops off. That shouldn't hurt the rpm sensor wire if you inadvertently connect it to ground either.

So here is what you know for sure:
Red=+12v
Black=ground

Wires in question:
Blue - Taking a wild *** guess, I say it might be the pwm function wire
White - WAG is the rpm sense wire

Hmm, I see that Nidec doesn't give any color coding of their wiring besides +12v and ground, unlike Sanyo Denki does for their pwm fans. I think one thing you could try though would be to hook the fan up to a psu and then try jumping either the blue or white wires to the ground (black) wire and see if the speed drops off. That shouldn't hurt the rpm sensor wire if you inadvertently connect it to ground either.

So here is what you know for sure:
Red=+12v
Black=ground

Wires in question:
Blue - Taking a wild *** guess, I say it might be the pwm function wire
White - WAG is the rpm sense wire

blue is almost certainly the PWM wire, in which case, 12v across it would be baaaaad, fan pwm circuits are 5v, are they not?

That's why you don't connect it to the red wire. ;) Going to ground with it won't hurt a thing and that's how I tested the pwm function on The Beast at first. But in the Sanyo Denki's case, there was no doubt which wires were the pwm sense wires for it as they clearly labeled each individual wire color on the pdf file.

Look at the relative position of the wires as they go into the connector. That should tell you which is which.

jason, from the first post, I am guessing that they must be bare wire or on some odd connector. Otherwise if they came on a regular 4 wire mobo connector it would be plug-n-play.

That's why you don't connect it to the red wire. ;) Going to ground with it won't hurt a thing and that's how I tested the pwm function on The Beast at first. But in the Sanyo Denki's case, there was no doubt which wires were the pwm sense wires for it as they clearly labeled each individual wire color on the pdf file.

:facepalm: misread...yea, that'd work.

jason, from the first post, I am guessing that they must be bare wire or on some odd connector. Otherwise if they came on a regular 4 wire mobo connector it would be plug-n-play.

Yes from reading all the help, you can see my confusion!!!

yeah the black and read appear a nobrainer but a "normal 4wire fan has a yellow wire this one has a white one and a blue one. Hate to ASSUME the white is just like the yellow. who know the blue could be and the or if not! ahhhhhhhhhh!

these four fans I have yes are not in the same order as other fans. they came out of a DELL precision 690 no help on dells site either.

If it was not for the whit wire thowing me off.

oh the connector has the red and black in the center ant the blue and white are on outside, clearly a no-no!

not to mention zdell has there own screwy wiring for EVERYTHING!

I did not just cheat and post here. I spent hous googling before asking for help fromyou guys!

Again thanks

Oh and another forum was offended from my avatar pic. My delep dept loves it because Seagates took out 9 servers. Hope yall find the humor in it and dont take offense. (just thought I would add this tid-bit early on!

Oh yes and ODDBALL connector as well!!!!

keep trying everyone. I soo appreciate the help

Last edited:
any way we could get a pic of the circuit that drives this, that should at least clear up that red and black are indeed what they are supposed to be (knowing it's a custom not something sold by the OEM, nothing is certain anymore)

Whitehat, do you have an extra psu handy? If so, experiment with 1 of the fans then. Hook the black and red wires up as normal to a 3 pin connector and power it up. Then once it's running, connect the blue wire to the black and see if the rpms drop off. If they don't, then try it with the white wire. If you pull the sense wire to ground, it should slow the fan to it's minimum speed or maybe even stop it. And doing it with a spare psu protects your system from any possible damage that may occur on a running system.

Well I dunno, I am no help. Black/Red is easy.

In all the bombs I see disconnected with wirecutters it's always the umm... orange. Darn, no help there.

No luck with a search on google etc? Nidec has a Spec webpage, they make MANY MANY fans. Give it a try?

http://www.nidec.com/ta450dc25/ta450dc25.htm

And that seems to be no help. What is the common Nidec coloring scheme?

As you see Black and Red are not to be trusted either!

any way we could get a pic of the circuit that drives this, that should at least clear up that red and black are indeed what they are supposed to be (knowing it's a custom not something sold by the OEM, nothing is certain anymore)

These fans came out of a Dell precision 690. They will fit on a pair of thermaltakes that are 3 wire.

i dont like the manual control of the the Therms, however DEll does not follow any standard, especialy ATX!

I will post a photo in the next posting

Thank you all.

58563_1596408799007_1499584586_31522647_280254_n.jpg

Sorry, I should have been more clear, the actual circuitry of the fan, there should be a sticker you can pull off to get inside the thing (after a couple more steps), see which ones go where and cross-reference it with the interwebs and you should be able to figure out power at least.

The page that Conumdrum linked has a pdf file that specifically shows the red wire to be +12v and the black wire to to negative (or ground). So you don't have to worry about that. Using those 2 wires, you can safely power up the fan and then check for the pwm sense wire by connecting it to the negative wire while the fan is running and see if the speed drops off. Look at the attached screen cap:

Attachments

• nidec pdf.jpg
    nidec pdf.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 20,214
I found the data sheets!

most fans use yellow dell uses white so:

Red= +12V
BLK= GND
BLUE= Frequency
White= RPM (same as Yellow on "normal" 4 wire fans)

well there you go, easy as crimping it in.

Let me correct myself!

When as posted above, fans ran 100% on the EVGA SR-2.

If you have that board then:

1. blk GND
2. red +12V
3. white who knows!
4. blue same here!

(3 and 4 can be switched to get the desired "auto control"

I have just figured out that the terms "control" and "sense" are not standardized so be carefully.

basically if you your fans run 100% the switch the other two wires whatever color they are (EXCEPT Gnd and+12V! GET THOSE CORRECT FIRST!!!!!)

Back