• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nintendo says "NO!" to Cross-Platform Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can confirm that there wasn't a shortage of wii's or their controllers where I live. And I don't live in some backwater town with no gamers.

What shortage of controllers? The only time I couldn't find extra controllers was for around 4 weeks after launch, after that they were easy to find, at least in my area. Also, the Wii is now the top-selling console of this generation, selling the same amount of 360's in almost half the amount of time, which says to me, that, well, I think there was no shortage. Demand surpassed supply. Oh, and I don't think they "hid" the controllers in other parts of the world, the word you were probably looking for was "sold", considering the Wii is popular, uh, everywhere, unlike the 360 which is primarily UK and US.

I think it's not so much the Wii's success as Microsoft's complete and utter FAILURE to even come close to capturing the Japanese market. If you were to nix Japan Nintendo would still be behind. But they're ahead because of Microsoft's arrogance.

And I don't think the word I was looking for was "sold" (in regards to the wiimotes). That's the one thing that WASN'T happening.

virginmega1000wiimotes.jpg

wiimotes002.jpg

wiimotes003.jpg

wiimotes004.jpg
I can confirm that there wasn't a shortage of wii's or their controllers where I live. And I don't live in some backwater town with no gamers.

Europe got much nicer packaging than we did :(

Yeah, but you think we pay more in CDN $ than US $ ? They pay WAAAAAAAAY more in Euros (after conversion) than we would ever think about paying.

FWIW: When I got my Wii, I had to run all over town to find a nunchuck controller but they're a dime a dozen now. I even see some of out EB stores with banners up proclaiming "We have Wii!!!". There have been a few occasions when I have been in a store in Hamilton, Toronto or Buffalo and have seen them on shelves too. I think the "shortage" will soon be over.

What shortage of controllers? The only time I couldn't find extra controllers was for around 4 weeks after launch, after that they were easy to find, at least in my area. Also, the Wii is now the top-selling console of this generation, selling the same amount of 360's in almost half the amount of time, which says to me, that, well, I think there was no shortage. Demand surpassed supply. Oh, and I don't think they "hid" the controllers in other parts of the world, the word you were probably looking for was "sold", considering the Wii is popular, uh, everywhere, unlike the 360 which is primarily UK and US.

Wii: 10.57 Million sold (3.46M Japan, 4.24M America, 2.87M Others)
Xbox 360: 10.51 Million sold (0.43 Japan, 6.75 America, 3.32 Others)
PS3: 4.32 Million sold (1.13M Japan, 1.87 America, 1.32 Others)

From your own link the 360 has outsold the we in the US and "others" but its Japan that is the killer at 430k vs. 3.46 million.

Which of course wouldn't be the case if Nintendo would quit doing things like tieing 3rd party developers hands. Hell they could have 20 million sold if they had a decent 3rd party lineup and a few gritty non-"family" games like GTA.

exactly what i was thiking, you dont outsell your competitors by purposely shorting, you get them out thre door to sell.

Also, you dont know how many Wii's they had made for original shipment around the world.

You should see the computer cases in Paris... :eek:

...puts the U.S. made ones TO SHAME.

I don't speak French, so what do you say to me and you taking a couple thousand bucks and painting the town red in gay Paris after tax-time? Either that or Vegas..... I've been itching to return to there.... staying downtown this time instead of on the (EXPENSIVE) strip, or too far away off-strip.

I don't speak French, so what do you say to me and you taking a couple thousand bucks and painting the town red in gay Paris after tax-time? Either that or Vegas..... I've been itching to return to there.... staying downtown this time instead of on the (EXPENSIVE) strip, or too far away off-strip.

F*** it dude. I'm down with either one. Vegas is my favorite place to visit in America (though it loses a lot of points for not being what it used to be.) I have a free return-trip to Paris coming. but I don't know if I'll use it. I have a feeling that, if I returned to Paris, I'd end up staying there another five years.

Per the "controller shortage," here in San Diego, CA, you couldn't find a controller in any store anywhere until about 3 to 4 months ago; they'd sell out in a matter of minutes any time a store received a shipment. Plus, I have only seen a Wii on a shelf once since launch and they sold out all 30 of them in a hour or 2. It does, however, seem a little ridiculous that Nintendo would purposefully not send enough controllers or Wii's to San Diego (6th largest US city and one of the highest per capita incomes anywhere), but send way too many to Paris where they weren't selling. Just sounds like mis-calculation to me. As for Vegas I'm down any time :D

Per the "controller shortage," here in San Diego, CA, you couldn't find a controller in any store anywhere until about 3 to 4 months ago; they'd sell out in a matter of minutes any time a store received a shipment. Plus, I have only seen a Wii on a shelf once since launch and they sold out all 30 of them in a hour or 2. It does, however, seem a little ridiculous that Nintendo would purposefully not send enough controllers or Wii's to San Diego (6th largest US city and one of the highest per capita incomes anywhere), but send way too many to Paris where they weren't selling. Just sounds like mis-calculation to me. As for Vegas I'm down any time :D

Multi-billion dollar corporations don't make miscalculations. ESPECIALLY not in the sales department. (Bugsy had Vegas right on the money...)

I was reading somewhere a few weeks ago about how Nintendo has a shortage of PCBs, and sensors. The article also said that they will be short of Wiis again this holiday season.

i sure am glad that i pre-ordered my wii, and got it the day it got out

i sure am glad that i pre-ordered my wii, and got it the day it got out

Yeah. You've had almost a whole year now to "relive the magic" of Zelda over and over again...

Have you perfected your Wii Sports Golf game yet? ;)

The Wii had other launch titles. Like Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaihici 2.

Exactly Rainless's point.

Many, many of us had great fun with Zelda and nothing more :beer:

heh, paper pario was good for a few days of entertainment.

TGIM (Thank god its Metroid)

Back