• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nintendo says "NO!" to Cross-Platform Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you played the Wii lately Rainless? I just got it about a month ago, and it's good fun. I just got Metroid now, so I'm sure that I'll be playing for a while @ least.

Have you played the Wii lately Rainless? I just got it about a month ago, and it's good fun. I just got Metroid now, so I'm sure that I'll be playing for a while @ least.

I'm sure it's OUTTA SIGHT if you just got it :)

Hell... If I ran out and got one tomorrow I'd probably have a blast for a couple of days.

...but then the depression would set back in. "Rainless found in bum alley on skid row..."

Can't say I've gotten much use outta my DS lately either. They were doing alright for a while. But Nintendo's policy of "Aww the hell with software! We can be a hardware company like Home Depot." will only come back to haunt them.

They're obviously doing alright (for now) with that approach. But this is a re-run. I've seen this one before: "Company sells Galaxy of hardware but no software."

Capcom REFUSES to release Phoenix Wright 3 and 4. The sequel to Elite Beat Agents is slow in being translated and released stateside. Brain Age 1 beating the holy hell out of Brain Age 2 in sales...

..this is no good. Sony has finally started stepping-up their PSP development and they've been releasing better handheld games (Best handheld game of the summer: Sega's sleeper hit "Crush.") I figured it was only a matter of time before they lured the people that were making all of Nintendo's hits over to their side. (And with vastly supperior hardware, original portable content was the only thing the psp was ever lacking.)

The Wii never even HAD an Elite Beat Agents or a Brain Age (unless, of course, you count Rayman Raving Rabbids.) All they really had to do was capitalize on the early success of the DS. But for that, they would need all the "out-from-left-field" developers that the DS came up with to step-in. (Brain Age did more to sell the DS Lite than perhaps any game has to sell any Nintendo system since Mario 64.)

We're heading into the one year stretch now, and Nintendo is actually turning developers away.

...but the theory of Diminishing Returns is supreme.

ok just to back track in the thread.

1. Wii didn't push 10million+ units because of an artificial shortage. It sold because it was popular, the motion controls captivated EVERYONE'S imagination, and most people who want to game aren't going to shell out cash at the 360 and PS3 price level, Wii's success proves that.

2. Did Nintendo aim to create a shortage? Who knows, maybe, ever since PS2's launch if you put out a new console and there arn't lines outside of stores to get it people would probably wonder whats wrong with it....seriously.

3. Microsoft can't sell xbox's in Japan because Japanese are a weird crowd, they won't buy it because it's an "American console" Nintendo and Sony practically walk on water in the publics mind in comparison. I think Microsoft know's their main base of customers, while they've opened up to more Japanese style RPG's this time...not every game is going to be about blue cuddly blobs that fart rainbows and use cards to attack. They'd kill their current customer base and they probably still wouldn't sell in Japan.

4. I have had a Wii since almost day one, and while yes it has some great games...Zelda was amazing in particular, when have you had a choice of great games? When you buy Wii games....do you go "oh man what type of game am I in the mood for?" or do you buy the latest Nintendo release the only thing thats worth your money? Nintendo I think is making the same mistakes again, next to nothing for 3rd party, and a year later we have an online vote channel...gee thanks. If NCAA football was on Wii I would have bought it this weekend....but it's not, and it's an EA game...I remember watching an interview with Reggie Aimes and he said we want strong third party support, we want to get a good online model...and none of that has happend...I'm not trying to attack Nintendo, I wish they'd do well....but they are shooting themselves in the foot for the US market.

Same as the others have said, my Wii has had very little use over the last few months. Wii Sports was a big hit when having guests over, but it got old very fast. I think the game that got the most use was Tiger Woods golf from my room mate. It wasnt anything great in itself for a game, the wii-mote is what sold it for him. But even that game has been shelved and we have both been into Virta Tennis on the PS3 for the last few weeks.

Should I dust off the Wii and complete Zelda? I didnt get far into it at all... I was still doing tutorial style stuff running around on a horse in some field. I shut it off at that point and never turned it back on. :eek: Zzzzzz.....

Yeah. You've had almost a whole year now to "relive the magic" of Zelda over and over again...

Have you perfected your Wii Sports Golf game yet? ;)

no unfortunatly i havent played much wii sports, but you made me wanna play it again :D so its gonna happen sometime

i completed zelda about a week after i got the wii and zelda, but it gets kinda boring when you go through it the third time

I challenge you to a duel good sir!

Arm turrets at 10 paces? :D

1. Wii didn't push 10million+ units because of an artificial shortage. It sold because it was popular, the motion controls captivated EVERYONE'S imagination, and most people who want to game aren't going to shell out cash at the 360 and PS3 price level, Wii's success proves that.

2. Did Nintendo aim to create a shortage? Who knows, maybe, ever since PS2's launch if you put out a new console and there arn't lines outside of stores to get it people would probably wonder whats wrong with it....seriously.

3. Microsoft can't sell xbox's in Japan because Japanese are a weird crowd, they won't buy it because it's an "American console" Nintendo and Sony practically walk on water in the publics mind in comparison. I think Microsoft know's their main base of customers, while they've opened up to more Japanese style RPG's this time...not every game is going to be about blue cuddly blobs that fart rainbows and use cards to attack. They'd kill their current customer base and they probably still wouldn't sell in Japan.

4. I have had a Wii since almost day one, and while yes it has some great games...Zelda was amazing in particular, when have you had a choice of great games? When you buy Wii games....do you go "oh man what type of game am I in the mood for?" or do you buy the latest Nintendo release the only thing thats worth your money? Nintendo I think is making the same mistakes again, next to nothing for 3rd party, and a year later we have an online vote channel...gee thanks. If NCAA football was on Wii I would have bought it this weekend....but it's not, and it's an EA game...I remember watching an interview with Reggie Aimes and he said we want strong third party support, we want to get a good online model...and none of that has happend...I'm not trying to attack Nintendo, I wish they'd do well....but they are shooting themselves in the foot for the US market.

That is sig worthy, rofl!

Kotaku posted the other day that not only will the Wii get Guitar Hero III, it will also have online functionality! Mario Strikers also has online support...sure they don't have Live with all its capabilities, but Nintendo isn't shunning online completely.

No Ethernet port lololololol

Sorry. I just found it amazing.

$35 to use my wired router. No thanks.

As far as background, I played all of the Sports games until I got bored, then a bit of Zelda. Now the PS3 just has to get stuff.

1. Wii didn't push 10million+ units because of an artificial shortage. It sold because it was popular, the motion controls captivated EVERYONE'S imagination, .

Not quite...

Back