• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Case cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rundll

Registered
I use no case cooling at all only my cpu is cooled with stock Fan i5 2400

All parts are connected to a very old case

CPU temps are high.. Till now I always used 2 cored cpu s and load temps were excellent but now CPU suffers from very high temps hitting 80 degrees during load in games...

How many degrees could a normal case change...

By the way despite no case I use 2 old fans freely which blow some wind to MOBO and on CPU..

Good side is that Mobo and all parts never get dust.. Those 2 fans push all dust away from parts.

Um...suggestion? Get some quiet intake and exhaust fans. And probably upgrade CPU heatsink. I had bad luck with my stock fan. it came broken from intel. Good thing I had a Zalman 9700 to replace it with :D

notsureifserious

it is serious... there are 2 case fans already which blow some air but case is completely open. it is broken. it has no sides at all. till now with 2 cored processors everything fine but this way i5 2400 runs very hot.

Sounds like something's wrong. With the stock heatsink, 70C is about as high as I'd expect it to get. Having an open-air case is part of the problem, but I doubt it alone is responsible for the extra 10C.

I'd re-apply the TIM and re-mount the heasink, taking care to ensure it makes good contact with the chip. Also, if your case is located somewhere that hot air could build up from the CPU (e.g. under a desk, in a cubby-hole, etc.) try moving it out into the open so it can have access to fresh/cool air.

JigPu

****! get a box and tape up the sides with cardboard at least. You think your fridge would keep **** cold if the door was off?

When you installed the new CPU, you did clean up the old TIM and apply new stuff, right?

I don't think that will help. he has no case, essentially. his has no sides so he gets no real controlled airflow. The only caseless systems I've seen ate test rigs and fully water cooled systems (down to the mounting screws LOL).

I don't think that will help. he has no case, essentially. his has no sides so he gets no real controlled airflow. The only caseless systems I've seen ate test rigs and fully water cooled systems (down to the mounting screws LOL).

I think I missed something in your post.
Did you just say the that the CPU cooler mounting doesn't matter because he doesn't have sides on his case?

I think I missed something in your post.
Did you just say the that the CPU cooler mounting doesn't matter because he doesn't have sides on his case?

Soulcatcher...YOU are a politician by trade aren't you? j/k I didn't say that. I said that I didn't think it would help (however he mounts his cpu fan.) If it was mounted wrong/improperly it would heat up and shut down really quick to start with. HE has an OPEN AIR rig. I have **** loads of fans and a water cooler block on the CPU. If I leave my case doors off for any lengthy time, EVERYTHING heats up.

Give it a try. pull your sides off your case, install the stock fan on your cpu (go ahead, use the best, most expensive product out there) and dangle an old fan to blow on your cpu and another on your motherboard. I will bet you anything you are willing to put up, that your temps will rise just at idle. He's gaming. Not only that, he never hinted at the ambient air. In this case it is even more effective in raising (or lowering) temps because the whole system is open to the air. Hell, it could be 80-85 degrees in there. we don't know.

That's why i said to at least make some sides with cardboard (in lieu of getting a new case). that would at least give him some air flow.

I'd say the way you put thermal paste and mount the cpu cooler makes for 80% of the cpu temps...then comes the airflow pattern and whatnot.

I'd go as far to say that a 0 case fans rig with the cpu fan positioned as a case exhaust can work pretty well, even oced. (if he had a tower heatsink and side panels that is)

I'd say the way you put thermal paste and mount the cpu cooler makes for 80% of the cpu temps...then comes the airflow pattern and whatnot.

I'd go as far to say that a 0 case fans rig with the cpu fan positioned as a case exhaust can work pretty well, even oced. (if he had a tower heatsink and side panels that is)

80%? really? there are dozens of effective ways to put the goo on the cpu. I like to cover the entire lid. I know people who do x's, peas/dots...so many ways and the only thing that really doesn't work is reusing the old crap, not using enough, or not tightening down the thing right.

But the fact is, he doesn't have sides, he doesn't have a nice tower cooler. I ran my phenom 2 x4 965 on one 92 mm intake fan and stock cooler for years. but i had sides LOL. So, yes, I agree, it can be done.

i dont know about you but if i leave the side off my case it runs cooler lol, and i too have a boat load of fans and a waterblock on my cpu what ever difference that would make. i dont think that him not having sides is the issue. i believe we need to wait for the op to reply before we start bickering. wait for him to come in and try something only thing we can do is wait for him. and try to help him by troubleshooting the problem.

80%? really? there are dozens of effective ways to put the goo on the cpu. I like to cover the entire lid. I know people who do x's, peas/dots...so many ways and the only thing that really doesn't work is reusing the old crap, not using enough, or not tightening down the thing right.

But the fact is, he doesn't have sides, he doesn't have a nice tower cooler. I ran my phenom 2 x4 965 on one 92 mm intake fan and stock cooler for years. but i had sides LOL. So, yes, I agree, it can be done.

Someone that touches the CPU cooler with no clue, too much paste, first time noob, all these things WE MUST ASSUME.

OPs post here all the time and don't supply a fully honest input. Once you been here for years you will know that.

We need more info. So please keep your pants on, don't get all xxxx etc over nothing. Geeze it's the internet, not your boss in your face.

Emotions and the internet is like a ball falling in putty, who cares?

Back