• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No monitor input, no power to keyboard or mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkpyro1

After multiple months of fighting with my newest build's watercooling loop, I decided it was time to give up the fight, and go back to air cooling. So I took off my CPU and northbridge block, replaced the CPU with a fan (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118075), and was getting ready to replace the northbridge block with the stock heatsink, when I realized, it was no longer in the motherboard's box. At this point I decided I'd keep a small watercooling loop, using sections of the loop that weren't giving me problems. So I put a bit of thermal grease on it, and put the waterblock right back on. So, I press the power button, and everything looks fine, until I realize my monitors aren't getting (or at least showing) any graphical information. I also notice that neither my keyboard or mouse have power.

I still don't really know a huge amount about diagnosing hardware problems, so I honestly have no idea what the problem is. The graphics card is getting power (fan spins up), the motherboard is obviously getting power (starts up just like normal, and has the green light on whenever the PSU is plugged in). So it doesn't seem to be a power issue. The only thing I can think of, if that the pump wasn't sucking the water for a bit, so there was a longer period without water than normal. That said, it wasn't longer than 10 seconds, and it was only twice, so in my relatively inexperienced opinion, I don't really think I damaged the northbridge.

Any thoughts?

Its hard to tell without a picture but it does look like you might have damaged something but know what. Could be the north bridge or could be the heat sink.. I'm taking computer engineering in highschool. I'm fairly faimlair with this stuff but i would wait for a Senior Member to reply. If your computer power light goes on and off as you press the button its fried.

Back