• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED No sound in Windows 10 ?!?!!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

My windows 10 rig has lost the ability to play sound.

When I first switched from Win 7 to 10 sound worked fine. then I did not use the computer for about a month (due to recovery from surgery). Yesterday I decided I wanted to do some gaming booted up and NO SOUND!

If I hover over the volume icon I get the following message: "No headphones or speakers are plugged in" My speakers are plugged in and verified to work independently.

I figured it could be a driver issue. I downloaded and installed the latest windows 10 drivers. No change. Ive removed the sound card (Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer) and tried the mother board Realtek sound. SAME PROBLEM. And to rule out hardware issues I booted in to Ubuntu and and both on board sound and X-Fi card work.

So this appears to be a issues with windows 10 its self.

I am flabbergasted so please help.

Last edited:
Have you tried reseating your speaker cables?

Simplest explanation and probably correct, although he did say that they're plugged in; I would go ahead and re-install the audio drivers were I OP.

My Win10 box just stopped playing audio on me while I was using it; it went away with a reboot. I'll chalk it up to Microsoft Quality.

Have you tried reseating your speaker cables?

Simplest explanation and probably correct, although he did say that they're plugged in; I would go ahead and re-install the audio drivers were I OP.

My Win10 box just stopped playing audio on me while I was using it; it went away with a reboot. I'll chalk it up to Microsoft Quality.

Ive checked the connections many times.

Ive reinstalled the drivers also....

just checking... try just plugging your speakers into you phone ear poty make sure you get sound....

and is the audio port you using built into the mothereboard?

Yes I have checked the speakers...
And maybe I was not clear in my first post... I booted in to Ubuntu. All sound worked fine. So I know that there is nothing wrong with my hardware. This is a software issue.

Known issue (at least to the internet; maybe not to Microsoft) with Windows 10 since pre-release, and no fix other than rebooting a few dozen times until it starts working again. I had the same problem.

Check to see if the windows audio service is running?

Also, you opened up your playback devices and made sure it didn't change to something wrong?

Do you have a tv you can plug in via HDMI and see if it recognizes and press out sound?

Check to see if the windows audio service is running?

Also, you opened up your playback devices and made sure it didn't change to something wrong?

Do you have a tv you can plug in via HDMI and see if it recognizes and press out sound?

To the best of my knowledge all the audio services are running.
No I have not tested the HDMI sound out - I dont have a long enough cable (and the case is just to heavy to move).

I am just starting to wonder if I need to go through the arduous task of backing everything up and preforming a fresh install.

Last edited:
Try this, seems to be a driver issue.

Clipboard01.jpg

If it doesn't work, this :

- Disable the playback device first.
- Right click > Properties > Advanced.
- Change the bit rate to 16.
- Click Test.
- If ok, Click ok then right click and click Properties > Advanced again.
- Now change it back to 24 bit.
- Click test, if it works click ok.
- Now right click and enable device.

Nothing is working. Even got a professional I.T. guy to look at it and he was also stumped .

I think it is time for a full and complete fresh install. The rig has a lot of clutter that just needs to be gone. Even before the 7 to 10 upgrade my computer was cluttered.
Plus if after re-install trouble shooting would be easier. For all I know, there could be a fragment of a old program that is 'confusing' the system.

Last edited:
Well I ended up doing a clean install of windows 10. All sound is working as it should now.

Just one thing to possibly consider that may have been at fault. Windows firewall. Reading something on a unrelated mater some one was having a problem with a peace of software. windows firewall needed to be on during install for it to work??

Since I was using my paid antivirus firewall and had windows firewall off... I wonder if that was a possible cause of issues.????

Well no mater cant check that now.

Back