• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No way...No one's luck is THIS bad...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I.M.O.G. said:
I wonder what was wrong? :rolleyes:

You were powering your PC with something that looks like it belongs in barbies playhouse!

hey now, whats wrong with the acrylic/blue LED setup? it goes very nicely with my case, thank you very much :D (as well it should, as it was stock ;) ).

I RMAd the case (and the PSU with it) and the SLI board (arrived back at ZZF today). Should I really spend some cash on a new PSU or just keep the RMAd one? I'm a little over my $2k budget for my computer already (thats right, SLI for $2k! beat that, alienware!), so I'll only buy a new PSU if I REALLY need too...another PSU that can power an SLI system will be expencive (this one IS 34A @ 12V, after all)...

[EDIT] MRip, very nice sig. "A64". 'nuff said :D [/EDIT]

But is that PSU really 34A @ 12V? Looking at its innards in the newegg pics, I can't really say this is an educated statement, but the parts inside this PSU do not look to impress me... I have seen PSU's which appear much beefier, while this one looks skimpy to me.

Bottom line is, when you are using SLI, you don't want a shoddy PSU in the mix... I would definetly invest in something else, unless I could find a respectable review on that bling... er, PSU.

Get a new PSU, just like everyone else said. Your hopfully in luck that it didn't fry the graphics cards yet, that would truly suck if those went.

Bad PSU = Either no preformance, or dead components, or even fires

Does anyone here really have trouble with static? I build all my PC's and other people's PC's in my room, which is carpet floor. I wear socks. Before I do anything, I though the screw by a light switch and that's that. If the PSU is plugged in, I touch the case once, but I never get a spark. I'm in my computer(s) on a daily basis, and I've never had a problem with static. Ever!

I've never had static issues before either. Then again I don't handle anything coming straight from outside to the first thing I touch when I get in the door. If statics an issue, get a humidifier.

True enough...I'll run it when the case and mobo get back with the stock PSU and maybe buy a new one down the road...I have a multimeter so I'll do some of my own testing. It might be interesting to see the benchmarks of my system running the stock PSU vs a new one.

I'm not planning to do much SERIOUS OCing, but OCing is definetly on the list, so...

i run the 520W version of that psu. it's ok. my cpu is power hungry so it's not as stable as it could be. every now and then when i boot up, it'll freeze in the middle of the boot or my keyboard and mouse won't work. to make a long story short, your psu is not going to be able to power your 3500+ and the rest of your componets well. get something better.

Be careful with static. Even though it is rare with all the grounding they require in houses, it can be a electronics killer. And you can still kill things with static even though you do not get a spark. Trust me I have killed at least 2 final projects in college from static that I never knew I had. If you want to help eleminate static as a potential killer, get a humidifier for your computer area. I have a whole house humidifier hooked to my furnace and a small one sitting in my "computer room."

In all honesty you may not even need to touch something for it to die by static. if it is dry enough I might kill itself....I could be wrong on this point though!

Back to topic....buy a decent PSU. The inside of that one looks like my crappy 200W one I have sitting on a shelf somewhere.

if you're gonna go off and get a new PSU anytime soon, get the PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI PSU - the PC P&C rails will NOT fluctuate - they have a tolerance of +/- 1% of voltages

and it already has dual 6 pins on the lines for the cards so you're not sucking power from the other molexes

PC P&C is reguarded as one of the best in the industry - and the SLI is about $240 retail - may be expensive, but it'll last FOREVER - its a TANK

Sneaky said:
if you're gonna go off and get a new PSU anytime soon, get the PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI PSU - the PC P&C rails will NOT fluctuate - they have a tolerance of +/- 1% of voltages

and it already has dual 6 pins on the lines for the cards so you're not sucking power from the other molexes

PC P&C is reguarded as one of the best in the industry - and the SLI is about $240 retail - may be expensive, but it'll last FOREVER - its a TANK

you know, I belive in the whole "you get what you pay for - usually" philosophy, but $240 is a little much when I just dropped my whole $2k budget on a new comp, even for another component that has "SLI" in its name :D ...really, other than stability, whats so much better with that one than the one I have. dedicated gfx cables are nice, but not neccisary...its got 10 more watts, but the 12v rails on that one and mine are both 34A, which is more important than an extra 10 watts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but stability isn't that much of an issue unless you're seriously OCing, which I don't plan to do much of (just a little push here and there, nothing crazy).

Oh, and whats with humidity? More humidity means more H20 in the air, and H20 is BAD for electronics, right? shouldnt that mean that 90% humidity air conducts electricity better than 0% humidity air?

I live in Colorado, BTW, and its cold and DRY here, but we do have a humidifier, though its upstairs. Like I said, I have a static strap and use it as much as I can.

Last edited:
OCZ powerstream > PP&C SLI

520 REAL watts for HALF of the cost of the other unit. And it's quiet too. I'm assuming you dont want a supply built for industrial computers inside of your machine when its parked right next to you

Real watts, or who-knows-watts? Honestly, I wouldn't trust that PSU any further than I could kick it. Haven't seen any convinceing reviews to prove thinking otherwise.

IT IS ALIVE!!! I got the mobo back from RMA, and after several failed attempts of trying to load windows, I went with the x86-64 edition and its working great. Will update up SLI, the OS, and the PSU.

Back