• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noctua c14s , new fastening for fans in ITX cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a@a

Asus ROG Strix Z270-I Gaming = ITX
Noctua NH-C14S
Fractal Design , Core 500 = ITX
I encountered difficulties in installing the large CPU cooler in the ITX casing .
Cooling fan mounts in contact with the fan of the housing...
Has made to order a new fastener and everything is wonderful !
In the photo as it looks - it will probably help You when solving your own problems !
With Sympathy Al ! IMG_3353.jpg =IMG_3335.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    919.6 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
:welcome:

Cool. I like it. Do you have a picture of the fastener before you modified it?

In one picture it looks like the bolt was bent. Was it really difficult to install?

The Noctua coolers typically come with a spring-clip mounting system. Not sure why the bolts. I can't imagine the clips getting in the way of anything.
EDIT: yes they do and no they don't

noc spring.JPG

You mean a new fastener before installation !?
I'll try to find a photo of the fastener manufacturer when we agreed on the details!
The fastening standard supplied from Noctua.at is on amortizing wire braces , which protrude to the sides and exclude installation in the ITX housing .

6 months led from Noctua negotiations for the manufacture of new fasteners for my money - answered in the end - this is your problem ...

installation is absolutely not difficult - children's designer,
the only thing is small nuts , M2 , and it is better to have a special key for these nuts to feel the attached force and do not overdo the effort !
on each bolt I gave 3 nuts for more meat and twisted the key with only the last nut , it passed the rotation to the other 2 nuts …

in the future it is more reasonable to order and apply nuts up to 1cm high/long - the fan support will be reinforced :)

Thank You for Your attention and interest !
Photo attach !
Sorry for the illiterate language !
With Smpatiei IMG_3375.jpg !
Al
more than 1 photo can not be offered - tomorrow the rest !!! ...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are you saying that if using the clips you can't install it in the iTX case? I just can't see how they would interfere. From your pics, it appears the board is still much wider than the cooler and those clips from what I can see stay inside the body of the cooler.
I'm not knocking your fix, I think it's pretty clever just can't see how it was necessary.

noc spring3.JPG
noc spring2.JPG

Mr. Johan45 correctly pointed to the photo the original mount from Noctua.at !!!

I repeat:
solved the particular problem of installing ITX MB in the ITX enclosure = the clip caught the blades of the rear system fan from the side of the I/O connectors !
although the clip acted unnecessarily at 0.5-1mm , suppose even at 0.0001mm = without eliminating this contact , the computer can not be used ...
the case , perhaps , unique - another similar MB may not create such problems - Noktua.at brings this MB in the list of compatibility for this cooler !!! ...
the topic of compatibility with the cases at Noctua.at has never been discussed ..

Ok than a@a I get it now. It was hitting the rear exhaust fan

Good Day !
look please at my first photo = the perfect profile of the whole design from the critical side with the bolts!
in the case on this side the system fan at a distance of 1-0.5 mm = the clip being discussed touches the blades of this fan , although its protrusion on your photo is not visible !!! …
a photo can not be provided with so little case - there is no free space for the lens at all - you can not see the problem - you hear it !!! ...
and it was a long time before I realized where this sound comes from !!!

a@a I thought you fabricated the new mounting system. It looks like a long shank bolt with the head ground to facilitate it fitting. I'm always interested in the process one used to achieve a unique repair.

No worries on your language skills. I have a joke that illiustrates my thoughts on that.
What do you call a person who speaks three languages? Trilingual.
What do you call a person who speaks two languages? Bilingual.
What do you call a person who speaks one language? American.

While your specific scenario may never come up for me, I now have another idea in my head should something similar arise.

Dear Johan45 !
exactly as You said in the last sentence !!!...

Dearest !
I will be glad if one of You offers other solutions to this situation , fixing the fan to the cooler! ...
I'm a musician , not an engineer , I solved the problem that way , but I do not think the solution is optimal - fastening without any vibration damping of the rotating "object" !!! ....
ach !!!...………… :)

You could still have vibration damping if you put the rubber corner pads back on the fan :)

Easy enough to cut a hole through those to be able to use your screw still.

You could always get a thinner fan for the rear exhaust. I know 120 mm fans come in 15 mm versions.

I like this solution.

Like ED said, you can still get vibration damping in there.

Thanks , ATMINSIDE , Johan45 , don256us !
pillows do not even crave the spaces ...
In the situational setting , I would like to fix the flickering damping ! …
IMG_3377.jpg
IMG_3386.jpg

You could always get a thinner fan for the rear exhaust. I know 120 mm fans come in 15 mm versions.

Of course this is possible , but there would be 2 fans "in" and 0.5 fan out ... IMG_8762.JPG

View attachment 200469
promised to present ! ...
it was making watchmaking master - I waited 3 months for a queue - a lot of orders for repairing antique watches !!! …
24x8mm...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nicely done. I would have mounted the fan with zipties and still use the rubber corner tabs for vibration dampening.

Yeah. The pictures put it all into perspective. There is really no space to the dampers is there? If you place the dampers on the heatsink then the fan hits the motherboard causing even more vibration.

Back