• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob - ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme M.2 installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Hi
Having a difficult time with something that should be so simple. Trying to install a M.2 drive in my new Zenith Extreme mobo but to do so I have to first unscrew 3 tiny Phillips screws on the cover (see attached).

The problem is that they are screwed EXTREMELY tight! I am literally losing skin on my fingers trying to loosen!
And yes I am turning counter clockwise!!

I am using tiny jeweller's screwdriver so the issue may be I simple can't generate enough torque to loosen.

Can anyone tell me which EXACT screwdriver I should be using?

M.2_cover.jpg

Its a Phillips head... no idea what number. Find one that fits. I had zero issues on other asus boards.

a screwdriver that fits properly will do wonders for loosening screws

a screwdriver that fits properly will do wonders for loosening screws

Yeah. Discovered its not just the size but the 'bluntness' of the head that matters. Used another same size but with a sharper head and had no issues.

I have this same issue and i've read on another forum that on some of these boards there is loctite on the screws on that shroud. I have an entire set of jewelers philips heads and tried them all with no success. Used the DIMM card to add my 2 samsung NVME drives back to back.

Grip the barrel of the screw driver with a pair of pliers so that the pliers are at a right angle to the screwdriver. Push down on the top of the screw driver with the fingers of one hand and turn the driver with the pliers like a crank handle with the other hand. Secure the board somehow to keep it from spinning. A helper for the latter would be nice.

Back