• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob > Overclock DIMMS rated at 2666MGhz to 3200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

About to install 8x8GB 2666 DR4 Corsair DIMMs into my new ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme mobo.
Can any OC experts tell me if I should attempt OC'ing to 3200, or will it be a waste of time?

Can always try but general performance won't be much higher while you can have problems with stability. I'm not sure what IC is in this memory and I don't know if TR runs at 3200 on 8 modules without issues. On 4 it should run at 3200 without issues if Samsung IC is in use. There is a chance that on 8 will be the same but it's hard to tell without tests. I assume that when you set everything at auto and change clock to 3200 then if you make it to boot then you will be able to stabilize it.

Can always try but general performance won't be much higher while you can have problems with stability. I'm not sure what IC is in this memory and I don't know if TR runs at 3200 on 8 modules without issues. On 4 it should run at 3200 without issues if Samsung IC is in use. There is a chance that on 8 will be the same but it's hard to tell without tests. I assume that when you set everything at auto and change clock to 3200 then if you make it to boot then you will be able to stabilize it.

Thanks
Intended use CPU and GPU rendering. So doubt will see any real benefit to memory tweaking

I guess that you can try and if you find it hard to stabilize then just set 2666 and tighter timings like 13-13-13 or 14-14-14.

Back