• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob: Power supply, home wiring and safety

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Building a 3GPU (3XTitan Xp's) PC for rendering. Based on initial research I guestimate almost 1000W under maximum load when rendering.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Since I'm a total noob when it comes to things electrical and also because I live in an older building (no fuses, just circuit breakers) I thought it best to ask for feedback on safety.

Does 1000W sustained over long intervals (8-24hrs) pose any risk to typical, or even older home wiring?
I checked the circuit breaker box and can only see a rating of 100amp at the top of the box, nothing listed I can see at first glance, for individual switches.

Last edited:
Branch ccts for plugs will be 15amps (really only 12 80% of 15) so you have 1440w available from a 15amp cct total . So depending on what else is on that cct you should be fine .

a new 20 amp cct would let you have 1920

You might want to look at getting a hefty UPS just in case you trip breakers to allow you to gracefully shut the system down.

Branch ccts for plugs will be 15amps (really only 12 80% of 15) so you have 1440w available from a 15amp cct total . So depending on what else is on that cct you should be fine .

a new 20 amp cct would let you have 1920

oh he's fine....alot of the old stuff was still done well..and that usual smaller places 100-125a box plenty...why they put alot 20s in you can trip a 15 running bunch **** on it, it;s still pretty hard though lol

oh he's fine....alot of the old stuff was still done well..and that usual smaller places 100-125a box plenty...why they put alot 20s in you can trip a 15 running bunch **** on it, it;s still pretty hard though lol

pretty easy over 1500w will trip =)

pretty easy over 1500w will trip =)

Just need a dedicated line, hell go with one of those nice 30s lol....it's just how they did it with rooms you know lol...kinda bad like if the kitchen and living room/quarters some plugs on that same line or something, and that's been done many a times lol,

Just need a dedicated line, hell go with one of those nice 30s lol....it's just how they did it with rooms you know lol...kinda bad like if the kitchen and living room/quarters some plugs on that same line or something, and that's been done many a times lol,

as an electrician i can tell you that it doesnt matter if it is decacated or not once the total load of the cct is over the breaker rating it will trip .

as an electrician i can tell you that it doesnt matter if it is decacated or not once the total load of the cct is over the breaker rating it will trip .

Yeah it shouldn't really matter and never been any real difference...but you just still don't like the idea of other junk running on it too and with it lol

Few if any of us have a dedicated circuit just for our computers.

3 Titan Xp cards is going to draw more than 1000 W if your CPU is doing anything.

My "The Sith" system below has 2 Titan Xp cards and 5820 K CPU...all are overclocked.

While running Folding@Home on just the 2 graphics cards, the PSU draws 850 W from the wall...that's 2 of 12 threads running folding@home, and both GPUs running hard.

I put my system in your PSU calculator link, and it says I need a 1300 W PSU for 3 Titan Xp GPU system...with the CPU running at 90%.

My PSU is a 1000 W unit...Titanium rated as I leave the PC on 24/7.

Few if any of us have a dedicated circuit just for our computers.

15amp circuit dedicated to my PC hardwares. Think maybe a few lights might be on the circuit (100W at most) otherwise its all PC gear oh and a air freshener :)

Though with a high consumption like that I'd almost pair for a dedicated line of at least 15amp, but with other equipment in the PC (CPU, Fans, HDD, Monitor) you might get close to the safe limit for a 15amp circuit. 20amp line would be safer in the long run, or at very least a 15amp breaker on running 12-gauge wire (20amp rated). Bigger wire keeps it cooler. Just my opinion on it at least as I'm not an electrition but I do a lot of home improvement projects on my own with a safety factor and a bunch of research in advance... besides running it past a few professionals I know at least.

15amp circuit dedicated to my PC hardwares. Think maybe a few lights might be on the circuit (100W at most) otherwise its all PC gear oh and a air freshener :)

Though with a high consumption like that I'd almost pair for a dedicated line of at least 15amp, but with other equipment in the PC (CPU, Fans, HDD, Monitor) you might get close to the safe limit for a 15amp circuit. 20amp line would be safer in the long run, or at very least a 15amp breaker on running 12-gauge wire (20amp rated). Bigger wire keeps it cooler. Just my opinion on it at least as I'm not an electrition but I do a lot of home improvement projects on my own with a safety factor and a bunch of research in advance... besides running it past a few professionals I know at least.

Not only does it keep it cooler It is required by code for a 20amp cct to have #12 , #10 for a 30a . If you are even thinking about doing this run #12 /20a as it cost pennys over a 15a/#14

3 Titan Xp cards is going to draw more than 1000 W if your CPU is doing anything.

My "The Sith" system below has 2 Titan Xp cards and 5820 K CPU...all are overclocked.

While running Folding@Home on just the 2 graphics cards, the PSU draws 850 W from the wall...that's 2 of 12 threads running folding@home, and both GPUs running hard.

I put my system in your PSU calculator link, and it says I need a 1300 W PSU for 3 Titan Xp GPU system...with the CPU running at 90%.

My PSU is a 1000 W unit...Titanium rated as I leave the PC on 24/7.

850W seems very high for only 2GPUs!
I have 1 Titan Xp and 1 FTX1080 (and identical PSU) and doing a GPU render with both cards at 98+% I'm seeing around 450W at peak load, tested on 2 different power meters, which equates to roughly 175W per card.
Adding a 3rd card pretty sure I will rarely break 600W.
Maybe something to do with overclocking?

850W seems very high for only 2GPUs!
I have 1 Titan Xp and 1 FTX1080 (and identical PSU) and doing a GPU render with both cards at 98+% I'm seeing around 450W at peak load, tested on 2 different power meters, which equates to roughly 175W per card.
Adding a 3rd card pretty sure I will rarely break 600W.
Maybe something to do with overclocking?

The Titan Xp cards are 250 W TDP. I have the "power" slider set to 120%, which brings it to 300 W TDP per card...and the cards are overclocked (2050 MHz or higher on GPU frequency sustained).

I have this system draw its power directly from a UPS, and this UPS has a built in power meter showing how much power it is sourcing to the load. As stated above, while running Folding@Home, the power draw from the wall is about 850 W.

Shrug - not debating, just stating facts.

you will be pulling much less than 1000 watts from the wall.
all the rendering software i have seen is much less load than folding.
i would guess that my 2 1080's folding pull around 500 watts from the wall for the whole rig, rendering i would guess it should be around 100 watts less.
I'll plug it into the kill-o-watt tonight and find out.

2 1080's rendering a blender/cycles render, kill-o-watt shows 375 watts

1080x2.PNG

2 1080" folding kill-o-watt shows 470 watts, max packet size small.
525 watt max packet size big.

View attachment 194562

Last edited:
Back