• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge/Southbridge Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
I have a IT7 and overclocked my 2.4 up to 3.06 stock voltage. Now im having slight problems with my cooling on these chips. On my Northbridge I have a 80mm fan blowing at it but I was wondering if I should get a new copper heatsink and a fan with that. Also i was wondering if it would be even worth it to put something on the southbridge. Looking at getting it tomorrow possibley so quick answers would be good. Want to bring my speed back up to 3.2+.

Thanks

Doing the Northbridge isn't a bad idea- extra cooling is never a waste of time, have you felt the Southbridge to see if it's actualy hot or not?

You could probably use your (possibly then) old northbridge cooler, I don't think the Southbridge gets THAT hot- maybe a large passive heatsink will do the trick.

I figured it wouldn't be a waste because I can burn my fingers on the damn heatsink. Didn't even think about using the NB cooler on the SB . The real question is what chipset cooler is the best. Perferabley copper heatsink.

I would think any name brand HS...copper at that (as you seem to like that better, most do) would do just fine.

And even if it is not needed, your computer can pretty much never be cool enough. Not to mention it's a cheep mod, go for it man

Nothing is ever cool enough thats right. Thats why I need to do this running almost 40C on the Hardware Doctor. So I need get this sucker a little cooler. Was thinking water but I said forget that, not to much of a performace gain there. Fans work just as well and might add a little noise to my hummin case. Can barley hear the 6 fans I got in there (2 sucking air out, 1 on NB temperarly, 3 sucking air in a push-pull config with shroud around the rad in the front of the case. No other air in or out and loving it. Just need to see if I can put my filter back on when I get a 120 mm to replace this crappy 80mm thats screwing up my rad config.

you can never have too much northbridge cooling (short of vapochill on a 440bx at stock speed).
southbridge cooling is probably overkill but there is nothing wrong with it. i have an old northbridge heatsink on my southbridge...

I got a SLK 800 to replace my HHC-001 Coolermaster,and I was able to put the Coolermaster on the northbridge and used ZIP ties to hold it on since it is so heavy,but it made a huge difference in performance.

Back