• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Not) the Ultimate Question - just for 64 bit Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

(Not) the Ultimate Question - just for 64 bit Vista

I will probably make my decision today, hurry, and forgive the mess, billion things; you don't have to read it all I already made this for NGs etc.; just Home Premium, not Ultimate, good?

Not likely to change cpu to quad even in my next now pc soon to buy E6750, but what about future if that is std - is 64 bit too? Then upgrade path? Not know what is 64-bit?
I need to buy a full (non-upgrade) version of Windows Vista OS for home. I want a full clean install. For internet (IE) , newgroups (OE , Newsbin Pro), games (Farcry...), WMP, mp3s, maybe DVD to TV movies in the future. I have a couple 37GB SATA1 Raptors for RAID0 (speed) which will not use other than the ICH9R or JMicron chipset- no Adaptec, just whats on the RAID mobo. Who uses/wants 64 bitI have read that the ~$200+tax more Visata Ultimate can do a 64 bit install but I do not know if Vista Home Premium can do a 64 bit install. To be honest I do not know why I would need it, cause don't know what the differnece is. I do not need the really good security of a 64 bit system, but I don't know wha other advantages there are. I know Vista Ultimate in general, besides the 64 bit has better backup, and some other features, but don't know if they apply to me. Which of these hardware models, or which category of products, out of these two computer lists (my present pooter & a possible future pooter) would or would not work with 64 bit? Is the processor 64 bit. Is there a difference between the full and ugrade versions with respect to the option to install 64 bit, couple that wityh the Home Pemium vs Ultimate version question. Or with the Home Premium or anything less than Ultimate version do you need to specifically buy the 64 bit version box to get 64 bit, whereas the Ultimate version has both 32 & 64 bit built in. Ah ha, I see anything more than 4GB of system RAm requires 64 bit. Ultimate needs 1GB system memory (w/ 512MB will [more or less] work), dx9 &128MB vid memory and more or certain features are lost. My current MSI FX5900XT-VTD 128 AGP 8x would have a WDDM right-needs it? My Lexmark software has FAx and scan, (but NO file eg .doc) FAX in Home Premium - I'll have to print something out to fax something????

Asus P4C800E-D onboard LAN & 6-ch sound if necc #2 Asus P5K 9or Gigabyte P35-DS3R onboard LAN & sound
2.6C MHz cpu OC'd E6750 2.66 1333FSB cpu OC'd
2x256PC4200 cas2.5 EL RAM 2x1GB PC2-6400 cas4 RAM (or more)
Pioneer 116 DVD, no copy <> LG DVD+/-RW 16
IBM Deskstar 30GB 7200 HDD <> 2 37GB SATA Raptors in RAID0
80GB ATA WD7200 HDD
MSI FX5900XT-VTD 128 AGP 8x 8800GTS 320MB OC
SBLive5.1 (if necc) SB if necc
USR 56K modem pci <>
floppy <> floppy
enermax 465 Sonata3 500W EarthPower

rom Learn more about Vista Ultimate:
More Windows Ultimate Extras coming soon
Windows DreamScene, an Extra that enables you to use looped, full-motion video as your desktop wallpaper instead of a static image
Whenever a new Windows Ultimate Extra is ready for distribution by Microsoft, you will see the Ultimate Extra control panel inform you that there are new extras to download. Simply download and install the Extras and begin enjoying these exclusive software and services that give your Windows Vista experience an extra lift!
If you want a single PC that fulfills all of your work, travel, and entertainment needs, or if you simply want to be confident that you have the very best, Windows Vista Ultimate is the no-compromise edition for you.
Note: If your system features a 64-bit processor, you can take advantage of its advanced design in this edition of Windows Vista
Do you get DreamScene and future extras with Visat Home Premium too? How many will there be: worth the extra $230?
From Learn more about Windows Home Premium:

btw, can there ever be a great difference in the price of a Microsoft OS depending on where you buy it. I think I have seen Microsoft or mail-in sales, but the cost at the store, if I check the prices of fifty different stores in a major metropolitan are - will I save myself any more than $25 over and above any discounts offered otherwise. BTW, will the aforementioned discounts always be for the same time period and for the same amount, or do I need to search/ask specifically everywher for those also?

Ultimate is a LOT more money than home premium for a very marginal gain imo. I read an article that a lot of ultimate users were dissatisfied in that they didn't get much in the way of promised extras, despite having paid a lot more money.

In my opinion, ultimate is for people with money to burn who don't care about the cost of something, and just want the best, and Microsoft exploits this as a means of charging twice as much for essentially the same product.

I would personally never consider ultimate if I were buying Vista. The price difference is too great considering the marginal benefits.

There aren't a lot of apps that take advantage of 64-bit. The only reason IMO to own 64-bit is if you are heavy CG user, or want to be able to use more than 3gb's of ram. IMO. That's why I built my first 64-bit system, just to use the 4gb's of ram. Silly, I know.

Don't make the mistake of believing that 64 bit is faster. It's really not. The main difference is it lets you access more ram. It does little else of much importance. Long term, there will be apps that require 64 bit to run, because that is how they are compiled, but at this time, everything is released for both 32 and 64, or just 32.

An app compiled for 64 bit and 32 bit running on a 64 bit processor will run about the same speed. The 32 bit is sometimes even faster.

thanks, bought the Vista Home Premium. should be a post in Microsoft OS forum "Opening Vista Home Premium for 512MB pooter?"

hey its this forum

Back