• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notification to Close Programs (RAM)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

menko2

Registered
Hi.

Im having my games and aplications (photoshop) forced to close because of Windows notification that i have low memory.

I check in the resources when i receive the notification and i still have 2GB left of ram. I have 16gb and the message appears when 14gb are used. But im forced to close apps or i get CTD in games.
I dont have Pagefile, but i dont need it if i can use the 2gb left i have.

How can i use the 2gb that windows doesnt allow me to?? Is windows reserving it for something??

Thank you

But i dont need pagefile as i have enouth Ram.

If i can use that 2gb that windows doesn't use for some reason i will be good to go.

I already managed to eliminate de Notificiation of "close programs...because of low ram memory". But still, games crashes when i get to 14GB of ram (all checked monitoring the ram).

I read windows save around 80% as a precaution?? How can i use my full ram memory??

Turning off pagefile is a bad idea. Stability of the system is affected as you have found out the hard way.

There are things you can do to speed up your system but completely disabling pagefile would not be one of them.

turning off pagefile was a windows 7 performance tweak its not needed under windows 8 but your right with 16Gb of memory you shouldn't need it but it seems like your trying to have to much going while gaming

Im using windows 7 x64.

Page file is not needed if i have enouth Ram.

Im only trying to find the trick to avoid windows not to reserve that 2Gb that i still have available.

I mean, if I reach the 16gb is fine i need the pagefile-virtual memory, but games and programs crashes at 14Gb without any reason or that notification telling me to close programs.

Any idea why or how can i use my full 16gb??

... but Pagefile is needed for the stability of the system. The kind of things you are experiencing also happened to me when I tested disabling it, so I would not necessarily think that this is related to your system, as you can find out by simply re-enabling Pagefile. Do your problems go away then?

I was not aware that we've reached the point where major games can use 16GB of RAM, most single programs cannot, [other than if you are designing graphics professionally or similar.]

Im trying to enable the pagefile and for exaple Skyrim uses more than the 14gb finally, but it crashes after 16gb (of course because is the limit of ram i have).

Ummm. The pagefile should be used by Skyrim if it doesn't find anymore Ram right?

Your first step should be to re-trace what you did when you disabled Pagefile. Set it up so as it was before you did that.

Next test for crashes. If Crash=NO then problem solved, remember not to have Pagefile disabled unless you have to for a specific reason, other than you thinking you will speed up your system that way. Because if you disable it, you will likely have system instabilities again.

If Crash=YES then you have problems that are additional to the Pagefile issue.

I never had issues before with Ram in 2 years with my laptop.

Now i set up a Ramdisk but i still have left a lot of headroom for windows and proframs. Thats why now i reach 14gb and crash. But it shouldn't crash until 16gb that is what i have right?? Always 14gb is the limit no matter what program i use

You should not have a system that is crashing for any reason, it is very likely that it is crashing because you disabled Pagefile.

Do you want your system to crash at 16GB instead of 14GB? Would putting in more RAM raise the Crash limit? I don't think it would remove the crash itself which may be connected to your disabling the Pagefile.

Do you have a way to measure your performance difference with and without Pagefile? What are the actual gains before it crashes? That is probably a good question to answer before raising your crash limit from 14GB.

I enable the pagefile today and it crashes at 16gb instead, but still crashes.

Skyrim performance lowered too around 9fps which is a lot...from 35 to 26 is not smooth at all...

Pagefile is one source of your instability, using a Ramdisk is another.

Are you using an SSD? They are not as expensive as they used to be and the performance gains are very high, even when going from earlier to later generations of SSDs. That would be the way to go to get a stable fast system.

Resolving RAMdisk instability is something that someone else will have to jump in and address, but I don't know anyone who managed to make a 100% stable RAMdisk for everything they do.

Thank you!

I will start disabling the Ramdisk or lowering the size. It doesn't have problem, only that everytime you boot have to copy things again as ram is volatile. But its so so much better thatmn anything i have tried!

Thank you again

Back