• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Now that my rig is alive, how do I go about overclocking it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
My pc is now alive. Now how would I go about overclocking the processor? I think I found out how but I still want some replies lol. I already know how to do ram, but should I run it linked or unlinked?

There is a guide in this section but generally:

Keep ram linked with FSB, rise FSB in 20MHz increments, when you don't post, raise voltage and try again, then test for stability with orthos/prime.

But this is where I get confused. I know that the fsb is supposed to get raised and all, but the only setting called fsb that I see is at 1066 already...something doesnt make sense.

1066 corresponds to a quad-pumped 266. If you were to get to 1600 that would correspond to 400FSB (quad-pumped).

Leo, your running your ram at undue stress, also 2.8GHz should not be a problem.

Keep your ram linked with FSB.

Linked? I dont really like it because pc OC's it for me, but ok, ill try linked. Im at 3.00 atm with still
Perfect temps.

If I were you I'd just keep bumping it up until it's not stable. Then back it down and try to test for long term stability. At the rate you're going you'll be at this for weeks.

My methodology is to run the RAM 1:1 at loose timings and spec'd voltage and put the CPU multi as low as it'll go (6). Then raise FSB in increments of 25MHz until it's not stable. Adjust BIOS settings to see how high you can get the FSB (NB, FSB, GTL, etc...don't touch vcore or vdimm). Use P95 to stress test, but don't waste days doing it. You should know pretty quickly where the stability line.

Armed w/ this info you can tackle the CPU freq. Drop the FSB bus speed back down to a reasonable level, and put the multi back up to max. Increase FSB 25MHz at a time until the CPU isn't stable. Add more vcore, rinse and repeat using finer adjustments of 5MHz. Use P95 small FFT to stress test. Again, don't waste days on this. Just do it for 5-10mins, and if it passes move on. Once you get something that seems good you can run it for a bit longer...say 20-30mins. You can do longer stress tests later. You want to get a feel for it first, so you don't waste so much time.

You can now decide which multi you want to run depending on how high you want the FSB. The 10x multi gives you more options.

Next, adjust the memory speed w/ your CPU & FSB locked where you want them. I have an Intel board so I use different dividers to test different speeds, but w/ that nVidia chipset you have a lot more dividers to choose from...some may not work well, so keep that in mind. Play w/ higher speeds vs. tighter timings until you get something you're happy with. I like to use Memset to make real-time adjustments in Windows. Take notes, b/c if it reboots it doesn't save your settings. You can use Everest as a guide to measure your bandwidth/latency, and use P95 large fft for 5 mins or so to stress. It will usually fail very fast if timings are too tight. Once you get the timngs where you want them you can set them permanently in the MoBo BIOS.

Now you can run some stress tests for long periods of time. I usually just go w/ overnight, but you can go longer if you want. Run all 3 P95 tests (small fft, large fft, and blend) along w/ memtest86+.

Da pimp smacks da ho, he doesn't massage her. ;)

Last edited:
If I were you I'd just keep bumping it up until it's not stable. Then back it down and try to test for long term stability. At the rate you're going you'll be at this for weeks.

My methodology is to run the RAM 1:1 at loose timings and spec'd voltage and put the CPU multi as low as it'll go (6). Then raise FSB in increments of 25MHz until it's not stable. Adjust BIOS settings to see how high you can get the FSB (NB, FSB, GTL, etc...don't touch vcore or vdimm). Use P95 to stress test, but don't waste days doing it. You should know pretty quickly where the stability line.

Armed w/ this info you can tackle the CPU freq. Drop the FSB bus speed back down to a reasonable level, and put the multi back up to max. Increase FSB 25MHz at a time until the CPU isn't stable. Add more vcore, rinse and repeat using finer adjustments of 5MHz. Use P95 small FFT to stress test. Again, don't waste days on this. Just do it for 5-10mins, and if it passes move on. Once you get something that seems good you can run it for a bit longer...say 20-30mins. You can do longer stress tests later. You want to get a feel for it first, so you don't waste so much time.

You can now decide which multi you want to run depending on how high you want the FSB. The 10x multi gives you more options.

Next, adjust the memory speed w/ your CPU & FSB locked where you want them. I have an Intel board so I use different dividers to test different speeds, but w/ that nVidia chipset you have a lot more dividers to choose from...some may not work well, so keep that in mind. Play w/ higher speeds vs. tighter timings until you get something you're happy with. I like to use Memset to make real-time adjustments in Windows. Take notes, b/c if it reboots it doesn't save your settings. You can use Everest as a guide to measure your bandwidth/latency, and use P95 large fft for 5 mins or so to stress. It will usually fail very fast if timings are too tight. Once you get the timngs where you want them you can set them permanently in the MoBo BIOS.

Now you can run some stress tests for long periods of time. I usually just go w/ overnight, but you can go longer if you want. Run all 3 P95 tests (small fft, large fft, and blend) along w/ memtest86+.

Da pimp smacks da ho, he doesn't massage her. ;)

Lawl, thanks for the help. Btw, im not going up 20 by 20, im bumping it up about .2 ghz and running stuff until its either too hot or unstable. So far im at 3.3 right now. JamesXP told me to give her 360x10 1.4v and if it doesnt work, back it down. So far im at 320x10 1.3v.

20MHz increase on the FSB w/ a 10x multi means you are going up 200MHz (or 0.2GHz) at a time.

I was talking about raising FSB speeds by 25MHz, not CPU speeds by 25MHz, but I forgot your MoBo displays it quad-pumped, so in that case raise the FSB in increments of 100MHz...which is pretty much what you're already doing...

:beer:

Cool. Currently, I have my ram 3:2 (1:1 makes it super high for some reason) and 3:2 gives me 940 mhz which is fine. I have my cpu at 3.6 ghz now 1.45 vcore and 1.5 fsb. Trying to stabilize, should be fine right now...

Crap. I am having a problem. My cpu is at 3.75 and vcore at 1.45v. Ram is linked 3:2 and at 1000 mhz with 1.825 volts. When I turn it on, it just freezes right after the ram test. It wont let me go into bios or anything. After resetting it, it gives me stock speeds back. What is the problem? Ram? Too fast? More volts for ram?

Yeah, I took a case fan off of the case and made it blow directly onto the ram as soon as I gave it more than 900 mhz. I'll try 1.95 first, then 2.1...dont want fried ram...but I saw the crucials were rated at 2.2, so I guess it should be good. Btw, lower voltage = lower heat, right?

downclock the ram? i have yet to see enough benefit from overclocking the ram when its paired with a Core2anything....i prefer to run my ram at stock speeds
my setup right now is:
400x8 @ 1.35v
with ram running 400(800ddr2) which gives me a 1:1 ratio on the cpu:ram speed
its got more in her, but i dont need more...which is an odd thing for me to say

try 400x9=3600
with ram running 1:1

Back