• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NR 609 7.1 Onkyo Receiver "died" after 2.5 years (heavely used)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No clue what that fuse thing is all about, of course there are fuse protected parts but in term a fuse is boom the device most likely wont make a single move anymore, it would not be able to magically deliver some more sound in term im restaring it 20 times in a row. So, its very unlikely that there is some "fuse" that was going boom. Unlike CAPs or other parts, a fuse is either boom or not boom, it doesnt rest in a "in between state" at all. CAPs, transistors, processors on the other hand are well known that they are able to rest in a "unstable state" for extended period. Although a transistor usualy got extremely high lifetime, and its rare that they go boom. 90% of all failures is CAP related, so its no wonder that they are the first part people look at. The core of the PSU, or "H.C.P.S", is close to impossible to be burned, its a massive "copper wired block" and i guess not even a fire may easely destroy it. Some parts are simply prone to fail and others almost never, so i will have to know whats able to die.

Ultimately its Onkyos job, not my job, repairing that thing. But in term Onkyo will deny a free repair then it may become pricy for me, and in that term i may have to know whats going on or how to make a "do it yourself repair", indeed. Of course in term i wont get a free repair it doesnt hurt to try when i have some (rarely) spare time. Because either i am successful or simply not, but repair will always become pricy and warranty was never available.

Last edited:
Ultimately, its NOT Onkyo's job. They will deny a free repair because it is out of warranty...Not sure why you think its their job to repair it for free after its out of warranty. :shrug:

Because i was asking for, thats why they may feel like doing a job, its as easy as that. I does never hurt to ask... those that never ask have already failed. A good company is usualy interested into having a happy customer and in term they agree that there is some "bad parts" that wasnt dying in a natural or common timeline they may seek for a customer friendly solution but if they only stick to hard coded rules, according to law, they will surely never be able to be on my list of a "top company" and prehaps its not a matter to them but it will clearly hurt theyr image sooner or later. Image is a thing most companys still may care about, although nowadays im not so sure anymore.

Ultimately and another time: I does never hurt to ask.

Of course it never hurts to ask... however I understood your post as you EXPECTING them to do it. Perhaps, like I frequently do with you, misunderstood.

Good luck!

"Onkyos job" got prismatic meaning: They are able, they could be willing, they could be interested. Possibly resulting into execution, a warranty-force-stick isnt the only thing resulting into a execution. Of course they can "deny" a execution in term there is no movitation, but every action can lead to consequences and "denying" stuff isnt always the best choice even if they may have a "short time gain", the "long time loss" may weight heavyer than the "short time gain". Because they may lose a customer and prehaps i say some bad stuff resulting into a possibly loss of image! So every action done got its consequences, nothing is for free (not even denying stuff) and every action can have some gain, even a action "outside the force of law". Pretty philosophic view but just to say its not as easy as you might expect.

It doesnt mean, they are forced. In term they are forced i wouldnt even consider secondary solutions, because the issue would be clear to me. Although if you read the other stuff added, you should easely know the context, but somehow you are a bit weak at "picking a context", its not just a language matter (unable to always understand "bad" english). Although i know i got a pretty complicated sentence and its always linked pretty heavy to a context, thats just the way how i write stuff, not everyone can easely handle it. A "job" is something that can be executed and the terms are bound to the situation, the situation itself is brought up by the other words sharing the lines, creating a certain context. Lack of getting a certain context is common issue, thats why 95% of humans are unable to understand the bible for example and its leading to countless wrong conclusions.

Anyway, thanks for your blessing.

Of course im still looking for "more advanced" audio solutions with higher quality, but that may take some time and up to that point im still happy when i can get the Onkyo fixed, and at some other time it can be useful as a secondary backup device.

Last edited:
"Onkyos job" got prismatic meaning: They are able, they could be willing, they could be interested.

But it doesnt mean, they are forced. In term they are forced i wouldnt even consider secondary solutions, because the issue would be clear to me. Although if you read the other stuff added, you should easely know the context, but somehow you are a bit weak at "picking a context", its not just a language matter (unable to always understand "bad" english). Although i know i got a pretty complicated sentence and its always linked pretty heavy to a context, thats just the way how i write stuff, not everyone can easely handle it.

Anyway, thanks for your blessing.

No, the 42 is pretty much random, finding a word in order to describe a context, ultimately resulting into no meaning (so we could say its meaningless). My stuff isnt random and i wouldnt consider it "without meaning", but its understandable that you may not notice it. Ultimately, if you dont know the source, you end into "42" (no clue, adding randomness), but i know the source of my words pretty well.

Further "offtopic" PM related, although i may need a translator... cant directly talk you you. ;)

Last edited:
No, the 42 is pretty much random, finding a word in order to describe a context, ultimately resulting into no meaning (so we could say its meaningless). My stuff isnt random and i wouldnt consider it "without meaning", but its understandable that you may not notice it.

Nope, it isn't random, it is the answer to the universe.

I do totaly understand you and him, because masters of simplification are using the word "42" and i am using a whole book in order to describe that word. Although i am how i am, im not a master of simplification, thats another ones duty.

I still do believe, 42 is random because it doesnt matter whatelse to calculate, there is a number for almost everything if we just search hard enough. But simplification means not "to search", just finding a "sweet spot" and nail it down. Besides, the true number is 7, 42 is a multiplication of the "true" number that truly got way to much meaning, prehaps the number with highest meaning in entire universe, so we truly can say 7 is included in almost everything that got big meaning.

Last edited:
I have no problem handling silly stuff, as a rule of the dumb, its only silly in the eyes to those unable to find a meaning.

But anyway, it feels like im being struck with people that are telling me stuff i already know and without real use to me, an as soon as i go extracting the meaning they blame me for being silly, people certainly are funny beings.

Last edited:
You misunderstand my comment: I fully understand the context of this conversation. It is <ERROR: Null reference exception>

The thread started fine, but it has since veered off the tracks.

Well, some core matters are slowly fading, for example i want to know a true quality pick and the secret behind. But instead my old device became a major focus, thats clearly fading from the original content.

I wasn't going to post in this thread again (I saw the train derailing many posts ago), but in a concerted effort to get back on track and for my love of the hobby, I will give it one more go.

Ivy, either stop whining or get on the phone with Onkyo. Play your hand and see if you win. They don't owe you anything, but maybe you'll get lucky. Take your licks and move on. I really don't want to wait until page 76 to find out what happens.

You say you want quality, but you seem to be stalling. As I mentioned earlier, there is a compromise to be made, and I can tell you first hand that you can pretty much circumvent all the 'niceties' that a receiver offers if you have an available computer to do the work instead. All that leaves are 2-3 pieces of audio equipment. A preamp, a DAC (optional), and an amp. All can be had used because the quality allows for it. You want names? How about Adcom, Rotel, Classe, Parasound, McIntosh, Audio Research, Emotiva, NAD, Krell, Theta, Outlaw, Pass Labs...jeez, the list can go on forever.

Find closure and turn the page. It's a whole new world when you step up into specialty gear and it IS affordable. It can no longer be compared to box store electronics--it's like Dell building you a computer vs. building one yourself. I would highly recommend finding the nearest specialty audio shop and taking a visit, even if you have to drive 200 miles. So, get to steppin', one way or another.

+1. Poo or get off the pot. :)

I loved my Adcom seperates in college... Best stuff I ever had.

My uncle has a full McIntosh setup and it is NICE. I doubt he is looking in that price range though, lol his was around 40k, lol)

+1. Poo or get off the pot. :)

I loved my Adcom seperates in college... Best stuff I ever had.

My uncle has a full McIntosh setup and it is NICE. I doubt he is looking in that price range though, lol his was around 40k, lol)

I used to have a gtp450 and gfa545, I miss them. Of course those 2 pieces are nothing like your uncles gear :drool:

I would like to get a power amp for my nad ht box, it has no balls compared to my old adcom.

At least the onkyo is cheap enough to replace.

Speaking of Adcom, my roomate in college had an Adcom GFP-750 preamp. He always said GFP stood for Good F'n Preamp. And it was. He worked in a couple of audio shops as a poor salesperson but a very good tech/repair guy. He always brought home the gear he worked on. We 'field tested' his repairs. Who knew Bose made real amps back in the day? He repaired some 80+ lb. beast and it was a joy to listen to! It was about as accurate as a bird caught in a magnetite quarry, but it was very enjoyable!

At one shop, they had a custom McIntosh setup. I had just bought the second Matrix movie so we sat down to watch it. I've never had bullets fly through my butt before, but I did that day!

While I can't speak to the receiver in question , I have seen a loteivers , integrates , and amps , that have internal fuses on the output side of the amplifier section(s). They protect against shorted speaker wires and the like. Might be worth looking up the info online to find out. But I tend to exhaust all DIY avenues when stuff breaks.
I have no audio on the laptop I'm using , but I did turn up this
Can't tell if it might help or not.

Last edited:
Back