• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia and AMD Questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starwind

Registered
So the very first card I ever had was an nvidia card. Always seemed like Radeon was slackin back in 2006, but nowadays I have an AMD card. I never got to experience the PhysX engine though. Is it worth having the option on say if you do go SLI? I have a decent build setup, but I'm just lost on the which way to go with the Video cards. I've had no issues with either side every card and it's drivers have been great. I've been looking at Radeon cards for so long it would be weird to go back to Nvidia, but with some of the games out that support it, it doesn't seem like such a bad thing.

Lol no.

Each brand has their strengths. NVIDIA just refuses to put high amounts of vRAM on their cards, so AMD is preferable for triple screen unless you spend extra to get the double vRAM versions of NVIDIA cards. AMD destroys at Bitcoin mining. NVIDIA destroys at folding. NVIDIA actually won this generation on all counts (better performance, better price, better power consumption), but somehow they still haven't released anything cheaper than a GTX670 yet. That gave time for AMD to improve performance with drivers and slash down prices by a lot, so now it's up for grabs again. A lot of this stuff continously goes back and forth.

Current moment, single monitor gaming is the only concern. Get a GTX670 if you can afford it. Otherwise, get a Radeon 7xxx card.

Lol no.

Each brand has their strengths. NVIDIA just refuses to put high amounts of vRAM on their cards, so AMD is preferable for triple screen unless you spend extra to get the double vRAM versions of NVIDIA cards. AMD destroys at Bitcoin mining. NVIDIA destroys at folding. NVIDIA actually won this generation on all counts (better performance, better price, better power consumption), but somehow they still haven't released anything cheaper than a GTX670 yet. That gave time for AMD to improve performance with drivers and slash down prices by a lot, so now it's up for grabs again. A lot of this stuff continously goes back and forth.

Current moment, single monitor gaming is the only concern. Get a GTX670 if you can afford it. Otherwise, get a Radeon 7xxx card.

true, both sides have there pros and cons. amd has more cons in my book.

The only thing I see that amd cards have is:
low power usage, grate openCL support and triple monitor.

but other then that, I find them lacking when it come to high end cards.
Their lower end cards are nice.
Their driver and game support make me stay away form them altogether.
I'm sick an tired of their crap drivers (don't use windows)

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't high bus with and vram speed counter act the low vram amount.

EDIT
TBH I think the gtx 470/480 is the best card price wise right now (if you have the power and cooling)
call me nuts, but I seen them sell for 120$ usd with WB's lately. I guess no one wants them.

Last edited:
Triple monitoring is in my future. PhysX is nothing special then? The new catalyst drivers fixed the issues that people were having with the cards recently then right? If that's all the case then I don't mind sticking with AMD.

Unless you play PhysX based games, its useless. Also, if you have a single Nvidia GPU, any game that has PhysX on it, can be played on a single card.

If you are triple monitor, I would go with 7970 at this point. Though you are ok with RAM now days for MOST games, in the future that will change. You will need to Crossfire the 7970 for 3 monitors though.. unless you dont mind jacking down the graphics.

true, both sides have there pros and cons. amd has more cons in my book.

The only thing I see that amd cards have is:
low power usage, grate openCL support and triple monitor.

but other then that, I find them lacking when it come to high end cards.
Their lower end cards are nice.
Their driver and game support make me stay away form them altogether.
I'm sick an tired of their crap drivers (don't use windows)

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't high bus with and vram speed counter act the low vram amount.

EDIT
TBH I think the gtx 470/480 is the best card price wise right now (if you have the power and cooling)
call me nuts, but I seen them sell for 120$ usd with WB's lately. I guess no one wants them.

What? 7870 is equal to a GTX 580 never mind the power sapping boiling hot 480.... probably even faster now with much improved 12.6 drivers and cheaper (some £80 cheaper in the UK), uses far less power, runs much cooler and overclocks way higher.

GTX 580 and 480 vs 7870 = 7870 win win win win........

Last edited:
Unless you play PhysX based games, its useless. Also, if you have a single Nvidia GPU, any game that has PhysX on it, can be played on a single card.

If you are triple monitor, I would go with 7970 at this point. Though you are ok with RAM now days for MOST games, in the future that will change. You will need to Crossfire the 7970 for 3 monitors though.. unless you dont mind jacking down the graphics.

Not against crossfire down the road. I was thinking about it to begin with, but the higher end cards now it seems overkill for 1080p monitors. I was playing both Batman games this weekend since the steam sell had them cheap and wondered if the game would be much better going the PhysX route. I have a AMD 5770 which could handle Asylum, but can't handle City much.

What? 7870 is equal to a GTX 580 never mind the power sapping boiling hot 480.... probably even faster now with much improved 12.6 drivers and cheaper (some £80 cheaper in the UK), uses far less power, runs much cooler and overclocks way higher.

GTX 580 and 480 vs 7870 = 7870 win win win win........

Yes, but a 480 sells for $120 vs $280 for the 7870, and you can get a used (under warranty) GTX 580 for $220/$230.

GTX 480 = £200, GTX 580 = £280, 7870 = £215.

The GTX 480 needs to be cheap as the performance is significantly behind even the 580, uses a lot of power and runs very hot.

but if those prices are right in the US, then it is worth it as it about 6950 ish, only much hotter and power hungry (if you don't mind that)

So if you have $120 then its a good choice, if you have more. its a pretty bad choice.

Well, my 580 is for sale for €200 (£170)...
Not worth buying one new, for sure, but used? I'd think twice!

Not against crossfire down the road. I was thinking about it to begin with, but the higher end cards now it seems overkill for 1080p monitors. I was playing both Batman games this weekend since the steam sell had them cheap and wondered if the game would be much better going the PhysX route. I have a AMD 5770 which could handle Asylum, but can't handle City much.
Think forward... you plan on 3 monitors and 2 midrange cards will not cut it at 3 monitor resolutions.

Well, my 580 is for sale for €200 (£170)...
Not worth buying one new, for sure, but used? I'd think twice!

£170? here that might just make £170 used, just as long as its in perfect condition and fully boxed, which i'm sure it is.

Perfect condition, but not boxed ;)
Shame you bought your 7870 2 weeks ago, hey? Lol!

Perfect condition, but not boxed ;)
Shame you bought your 7870 2 weeks ago, hey? Lol!

With respect my card is at least as fast and probably faster now, has more Vram, overclocks higher, uses less power, was brand new.

And cost me, well not £215 but £240, i bought it just before AMD dropped the prices again lol......

even at £240 i think i got the better deal :)

Ok kids... back in your rooms.. We get it... :blah:

New vs used, AMd vs Nvidia... STFU already! So passionate for nothing.

(and please dont reply to this in public either)

Think forward... you plan on 3 monitors and 2 midrange cards will not cut it at 3 monitor resolutions.

Wasn't planning on midrange cards. 7950's are high ranges yeah? I'm looking at the Asus Formula mobo I could fit three cards in it if need be.

Back