• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia Control Panel does not load settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idkfa

Hey guys,

I'm encountering a weird issue here. After installing Windows 8.1 I felt the fonts were blurry and really stressed my eyes on both my monitors.

Untitled.jpg

I changed the settings in the nvidia control panel to make it bearable (I already tried setting the scaling myself, clear font on / off etc. ). Nvidia Control Panel boots with my custom settings set to applied, however I have to change to other apps control settings and then back to custom settings to use my settings. Kind of annoying at every new boot.

Any input?

Oh I wasn't :chair:

Was used to get notified on new drivers and did the upgrade not so long ago. How could I miss that :confused:

Now the settings are loaded properly but the fonts are still hard to read.

Thanks for your fast reply!

Do you have any of the Performance/Appearance settings in Windows altered?

Appearance is on stock settings and if you count the energy saving options to performance then it is set to high performance.
When I installed Win 7 multiple times during benchmarking I was under the impression that the fonts were best to read on the initial boot and with Windows 8.1 it is the same. I suspect some stock settings in the drivers to cause that problem.

If you haven't changed it then it should be on best appearance already.

Try an auto-calibration on your monitor (if it has that option) to see if it helps.

The issue with the settings still persists now that I deactivated extend. Weird issue.

I have an Acer S27HL and I can't use the auto config feature nor can I use the options focus, etc. Checked the manual, don't know why it isn't possible.

Last edited:
Under the Display settings page, have you already tried enabling the "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" option, then rebooted?

Under the Display settings page, have you already tried enabling the "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" option, then rebooted?
Thanks, I already did that. The fonts aren't blurry per se, it feels like it is to bright and therefore the font glows / lacks contrast.

I'll have a friend come over and see if he finds the font hard to read, too.

Came here for this. On mine it is unchecked, and the slider is set all the way to smaller. On my laptop I have it a little larger since it's 1080p on a 13". On my laptop when I went from 8 to 8.1, a lot of the text was blurry due to the new scaling system not supported by most programs. I had to check that box and use 125% instead of the default for it to work right, rather then setting each program individually with the correct scaling.

Have you run the Cleartype utility? That helped in the display settings for me when i was setting up my monitor.

I had to check that box and use 125% instead of the default for it to work right, rather then setting each program individually with the correct scaling.
I didn't check that yet, will see how it works and report back :salute:

Have you run the Cleartype utility?
This is what I meant with clear font in my original post. Did help for some fonts like title bars, desktop symbols etc. however it had no effect on the font on websites, forums etc.

ctrl-scroll wheel will help as a quick workaround. increases websites font size. I have to do it from time to time.

Back