• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 fan problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neznam1337

Registered
Hi all.

I'm having a problem. On almost every program (such as HWMonitor, SpeedFan, MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X...) my fan on my GPU (NVIDIA GTS 450) shows 0 RPM.
Im not sure if my fan isn't working or what is causing the problem.. i'm planning to clean my PC from the inside of dust. What could be causing the problem?

My motherboard is ASRock M3A770DE

Neznam1337, I deleted your duplicate thread in the nVidia section. Please only create one thread per topic.

You can touch the fan if your brave, you can use a small piece of paper to check for airflow. And get really close with your eyes. You can see it spin. Turn off the PC to see it not spin, compare.

Am I the only one that is completely confused by this thread?

"This isn't the GPU fan because it's not on the GPU"

What?

So the gpu has no fan? Is it cooled by a passive heatsink without a fan? Because if there is no then there will be no rpms to report?

I found my fan on my gpu, it does spin, but why does it show 0 rpm on every program?

My gpu temp 50-55 when not under stress, when im playing pc games it is from 70-80

The card isn't telling the programs anything.
The programs try to read from a few different hardware addresses, if they find a functional address that is marked (in the program!) as the fan, they read it and do some best-guess translation into a human readable number.
If they cannot find a valid hardware address, they display zero or remove the listing.
If they find a valid hardware address that isn't actually the fan, you get some fairly entertaining readings as the software applies the filter to data that is not fan speed.

This is, as a sidenote, how you end up with wild temperature and voltage readings in those programs as well.

The card isn't telling the programs anything.
The programs try to read from a few different hardware addresses, if they find a functional address that is marked (in the program!) as the fan, they read it and do some best-guess translation into a human readable number.
If they cannot find a valid hardware address, they display zero or remove the listing.

Do you maybe know why doesn't it tell the programs anything? My fan is spinning, but why doesnt it show it?

That I do not know.
As long as it is spinning and you get a temp reading, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back