• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia GTX 980ti Review/Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome to every new GPU release.
Give it a week.

yeah i know it's just irritating. i got an in stock notice from evga while i was at work but couldn't do anything about it and when i got home they were all gone again. i wish i lived in the third world so i wouldn't have to deal with complex problems like deciding what to eat for dinner and waiting an extra day or 2 for a video card. so unfair.

is there anything i should know about the acx 2.0+ cooler while i can still cancel? i'm getting mixed signals from the internet but i think maybe lots of people hated the old acx cooler and don't know the difference. still trying to find something in english about the new design. the best info i've found so far is a german video. skip to 7:30 and it gives a pretty good idea but the guy doesn't run the game long enough to see how hot it gets after prolonged gaming.

The one on my 980 is very good. I'll be surprised if you don't like it.

that's good news. they brag a lot in their ads about how much better it is. i saw a user review on the egg (lol) about how it's no better than stock but i find it hard to believe they would invest all of that effort into a better cooler and come up with nothing. as long as it doesn't get crushed by 10c or something by the other coolers i don't care. just need enough improvement for some oc headroom. the warranty will handle the rest. thanks for the quick response.

It is vastly better than stock, this is why you should give no stock to reviews on the egg

i usually look for patterns in large amounts of reviews to get hints but never take any one comment as fact. it's just a rough guide to help ask the right questions and locate glaring widespread flaws.

EDIT: Screw it. Unless a review comes out today or tomorrow for another version of the card that completely blows this one away for the same $ and is coming out almost immediately I think I'll just let the sc+ ship and roll with it. I love my 780 dcuII but in hindsight all of the fancy components never really added up to anything tangible. I screwed around with clock speeds a little at first but at the end of the day the limit was still the core and there was no way to get it higher without modding which i'm not into because of warranty issues. if evga guarantees 3 years of gameplay no matter what i do to it with their software that's a pretty good deal as long as the thing doesn't scream at me under load. I'll be back with results shortly.

Last edited:
post up your overclock results when you get one. So far cant find any overclocked except the review sites doing so only with stock voltage, ie not even using software to change volts. Curious if these overclock much better or roughly same as titan x. My titan X is an average OCer...~1400 core 24/7 gaming stable with 1.21v, benching 1420 core at stock volts, and max 1550 core 3d benching with 1.27.

Regarding buying titanx, everyone assumed a 980ti would come out 3 months later, including myself. No question if they came out at same time I would buy the 980ti as would most on 1440 like myself. I will also buy the next titan, and next, as I know IM paying $300+ to get it 3 months earlier, which is fine by me though understand not for others. During those 3 months, I played witcher 3 for about 100 hours (1.5x so far), and hundreds of hours of other games GTAV, far cry 4 all on ultra settings (I refuse to do sli) and had no unsolved crashing issues and get 60 fps in those games. I thoroughly enjoyed that $350 spent to get it 3 months earlier, way more than the $300 I spent on last 3 sushi meals in past few weeks, or the same I spent on new pretty water cooled fittings.

post up your overclock results when you get one. So far cant find any overclocked except the review sites doing so only with stock voltage, ie not even using software to change volts. Curious if these overclock much better or roughly same as titan x. My titan X is an average OCer...~1400 core 24/7 gaming stable with 1.21v, benching 1420 core at stock volts, and max 1550 core 3d benching with 1.27.

Regarding buying titanx, everyone assumed a 980ti would come out 3 months later, including myself. No question if they came out at same time I would buy the 980ti as would most on 1440 like myself. I will also buy the next titan, and next, as I know IM paying $300+ to get it 3 months earlier, which is fine by me though understand not for others. During those 3 months, I played witcher 3 for about 100 hours (1.5x so far), and hundreds of hours of other games GTAV, far cry 4 all on ultra settings (I refuse to do sli) and had no unsolved crashing issues and get 60 fps in those games. I thoroughly enjoyed that $350 spent to get it 3 months earlier, way more than the $300 I spent on last 3 sushi meals in past few weeks, or the same I spent on new pretty water cooled fittings.

sounds like you could afford it so no big deal. look at the bright side. if you decide to do multiple 4k monitors you'll have the vram for it. apparently games are getting up to the 6gb mark already.

Can someone PLEASE tell me WHY on earth GPU manufacturers always make TWO of the same damn SKU's? 06G-P4-4995-KR 06G-P4-4993-KR
I ran a "compare" on the site and these cards have the EXACT same specs. What gives? I have seen this in the past with like every new GPU release cycle > I'm assuming one just has a newer bios? (the 4995?)

Can someone PLEASE tell me WHY on earth GPU manufacturers always make TWO of the same damn SKU's? 06G-P4-4995-KR 06G-P4-4993-KR
I ran a "compare" on the site and these cards have the EXACT same specs. What gives? I have seen this in the past with like every new GPU release cycle > I'm assuming one just has a newer bios? (the 4995?)

4995 has a back plate

There is something different. Otherwise it wouldn't he a different SKU. ;)

See brandos post, lol!

I jumped on an EVGA one as well. I figured I need an upgrade to power 1440p at 144Hz, and it looks like the GTX980 Ti is ~40% faster than my GTX780 at that resolution.

I see them on stock in Poland ... prices are starting from $900 for reference cards :rofl: ... I can order from newegg too but they want $100 for shipping +duty+tax.

Either one would be fine... its really doesn't need to go that in depth for an average (not competitive benchmarker) user honestly. It has 3 fan aftermarket cooling, but which is more effective, you would have to read reviews of those cards.

The one thing I notice from the links is that the Zotac appears to be almost 3 slots wide versus the Giga that is 2...

Back