• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia or ATI for AMD CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmie3054

Registered
Okay hi yall.

Okay, So on the new build i'm doing. I am having a hard time trying to pick what Brand GPU I want. (Nvidia, Ati)

Okay I have the AMD 1090t CPU. Now I want to get 2 video cards and run them in SLI/Crossfire.

Now I want Nvidia gtx 480. Only because I want to run PhysX and I want to take use of that 3d junk that nvidia is offering.

On the other hand. I want the ATI 5970 simply because its ATI. ATI is basically AMD. I know there is a thing out there called AMD Fusion, so if you have a AMD CPU and a ATI GPU you will get better performance using AMD Fusion. Is this true? Will the ATI cards preform better with a AMD CPU or does it even matter?

if you must have AMD to go with your amd, then does that mean i should have bought a Real INTEL board to go with my intel CPU, and that i would be better off with Intels onboard grafics :) and that i will need an Intel SSD hard drive ?

i know of no good reason YET to stick with one company, when specifically making your grafics board choice.
and if ATI integrates better to an AMD chip, it will be when AMD does a full re-write of ATIs driver mess, and cleans all that up first (its gonna be a while).

pick your GPU brand based on the games you play, the power consumption, the FPS the looks and features you want. or the cool 3d babe on the top of the box :)
but so far you do not have to pick your GPU based on your CPU.

both markets are delivering "fusions" of thier cpu with integrated GPU and i doubt it will even replace a full scale seperate full powered GPU, except in mobile devices, and not hardcore gaming desktops.

Last edited:
if you must have AMD to go with your amd, then does that mean i should have bought a Real INTEL board to go with my intel CPU, and that i would be better off with Intels onboard grafics :) and that i will need an Intel SSD hard drive ?

i know of no good reason YET to stick with one company, when specifically making your grafics board choice.
and if ATI integrates better to an AMD chip, it will be when AMD does a full re-write of ATIs driver mess, and cleans all that up first (its gonna be a while).

pick your GPU brand based on the games you play, the power consumption, the FPS the looks and features you want. or the cool 3d babe on the top of the box :)

both markets are delivering "fusions" of thier cpu with integrated GPU and i doubt it will even replace a full scale seperate full powered GPU, except in mobile devices, and not hardcore gaming desktops.

Okay mr Smarty pants. I did some more research and it turns out if I am using a AMD CPU I can only run Crossfire. So I guess I'm going with ATI

Okay mr Smarty pants. I did some more research and it turns out if I am using a AMD CPU I can only run Crossfire. So I guess I'm going with ATI

And you would be wrong. Common misconception...I used to think the same thing. You can run SLI with AMD on a 980a or 780a, the New Asus Crossfire, and a few other specialty boards. The selection isn't as great, but it's certainly possibly.

What's wrong with ATi drivers?

And you would be wrong. Common misconception...I used to think the same thing. You can run SLI with AMD on a 980a or 780a, the New Asus Crossfire, and a few other specialty boards. The selection isn't as great, but it's certainly possibly.

I was looking for the new Crossfire board but I was not able to find it. Is it even out yet?

What's wrong with ATi drivers?

lol, nothing they are perfect. i have dealt with them for Years , with thier AIW cards especially , which is many extra layers of stuff. they always worked perfect everytime, and why CCC is a masterpiece of pure assembly language code . :rock:

Last edited:
lol, nothing they are perfect. i have dealt with them for Years , with thier AIW cards especially , which is many extra layers of stuff. they always worked perfect everytime, and why CCC is a masterpiece of pure assembly language code . :rock:

You don't have to have CCC to install the driver, and while I appreciate your sarcasm, I'm being quite serious. They may have had issues in the past, but I have been running ATI for a couple years now and other than having to deselect some things while installing the CCC I haven't really had any issues with the drivers.

You don't have to have CCC to install the driver, and while I appreciate your sarcasm, I'm being quite serious. They may have had issues in the past, but I have been running ATI for a couple years now and other than having to deselect some things while installing the CCC I haven't really had any issues with the drivers.

it isnt just about having issues with them, which if you go to guru3d or rage3d you will see many many posts about it. its the (similar to ms and Creative and Adobee) belotion , scattering, defining just anything as a Driver, the layers of parts and pieces , and best example Safe Mode isnt safe anymore, who would do THAT?
go look in the driver for example, take a look at everything that is installed in the registry.

then remember that i came from a world where we installed a driver from a floppy that was 360K and they often took a little percentage of that, and you could play games and control all the resolutions and the features TOO. sure the cards are Much faster now, but there was nothing that we needed to do with the 36k drivers of yesteryear, that we are able to do now, other than a few added filters and stuff.

we had a integrated control pannel for ATI that did everything CCC did , without thier sloppy beloted mess, many people clinged to it untill it died completely.

take a look at what ATItool was able to do in WAY less doing WAY more. AMD has even talked to that guy, if they would get together , what wonders they could accomplish, instead it is freeware ONE person, doing what a team cant do.

if you dont see it, then you never knew what great programming, and good drivers were about, because it gets worse and worse.
hey they probably fired the one programmer who knew what he was doing , and hired a team to make little piles of stuff and try and toss them all on my computer.

Run a poll, there are nvida owners who will also say thier drivers are a pile and a pain and are easily broken and requiring reinstall and all, but the Quantity of those that think Nvida drivers are a PITA is much smaller.

if AMD would like to pay me i would write a book on thier mess, and get it cleaned up, that is if they could afford real programming all over again, (which i do not do).

Last edited:
Makes sense, I'll agree they are bloated. 90% of the time I use device manager to simply grab the driver off the CD and then I use a third party program (ATi tool etc) to overclock.

It's the computer users that have driven this I think. I almost feel bad for both ATi and Nvidia, sure guys like you and I don't need all the extra stuff they load into the driver packages....but your average fellow who decides to use the HDMI output of his new card and can't figure out how to install it is lost. It is what it is...still other than a few annoyances I haven't had too many issues, no more so than with some of Nvidia's stuff. N'Tune anyone, lol.

HA HA HA
yes good example. some of the stuff that really rips.
why am I answering the question "ENGLISH" when i go to install, and then look around and see 27 language packs installed ? is this on some possible chance that offshore tech support will need me to learn farsi to talk me through a issue? :)

talk about efficient, 35-50Megs of CCC, and 35+megs of Net framework required to move the state of 89 buttons, we had entire shell operating systems that fit on 1/2 of that 360K floppy, not only did it change the state of more than 89 buttons, but it was user configurable too. and when you get in there, Where's the Beef ? Oh gee its got a skin , cute, hope they didnt spend a lot of time working on that while the game Grand theft battelfield crashes regularly :)

Creative:
Why is a sound editing program and another one marked "critical" to the DRIVER instalation? sure it effected one software feature, but couldnt we just add that in if we needed it?
and exactally Why do i want my computer sounds to sound like i am in "Bathroom" ?

Adobee
so exactally why are there more than 3000 registry entries added to my registry, increasing the size by full percentage, when i remove 2700 of them and nothing changes?
the registry is not thier own personal ram disk. Did Microsoft tell them to define every Pallet every Brush, and every texture or they wouldnt be Q.W.aHole certified?

I just hope that tomorrow i dont have to install Itunes to to backup my hard drive..

and finnaly there so much stuff tossed all about the computer, services this, exe that, dll this and that, databases, XML? , and many of them, so many that the user no longer can tell the belotion for the viruses that easily hide amongst it.

Last edited:
Last nvidia driver i downloaded was over 100mb.
All graphic drivers are hideously bloated monstrosities, that isn't a valid reason to choose a manufactuere IMO.

Personal experience wise, I've had more issues with nvidia drivers then ati drivers.

Back