• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Nvidia RTX 4090 Review: MSI’s Suprim Liquid X Tames Ada Lovelace

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

feat.jpg
Today marks the release of Nvidia's new RTX 4000 series graphics cards based on the Ada Lovelace GPU architecture. According to Nvidia, the latest video cards provide the most considerable generational performance upgrade in their history, which is made by a few new key innovations, including the new architecture and core for faster ray tracing, improved harder execution reordering, and the new DLSS 3.0 which is said to improve frame rates up to 2x versus DLSS 2.0. Leaked benchmarks show the new series to be quite the performer, so without further ado, we'll share all the details of the new architecture and specifications, then get into the benchmarks!
Click here to read more!

This is the only card the will fit in my case (hopefully! not sure about the height and hose clearance yet... I'll dremel a hole in the case if I have to) so it's the one I was F5ing on best buy at 9am. Got one! Happy to see the cooler was able to keep up with the card, I was worried about that.

One thing I noticed was the review has '3090 TI' in many places where it should say '4090' including in the bar graph captions - guessing some parts were copy/pasted over from a previous review :)

Thanks for the heads up. I was up way too late and way too early to get this done for launch and didn't have time for someone else to edit it. I didn't see any in the chart captions, but I did find a couple in the titles and one or two typos. If you find more, PM me and I'll take care of them. :)

Wow, what a beast! It'll be interesting to see if RDNA3 can even come close.
Great review as always Joe(y)

Yuck, if you're going to overspend on a PSU, why not at least get an ATX 3.0 one with a 12VHPWR connector? As far as I can tell, that Thor only comes with an adapter cable.
:p go back and read the disclaimer :p: it was meant as a joke.... 1) overpaying for the card and monitor, too, based on scalping of the card (its MSRP is $1600) and the monitor isn't even released yet... 2) specifacally mentioning ROG products as they're considered to be overpriced to begin with...
i can't afford the card right now anyway. besides, i fully intend on buying a new ATX 3.0 PSU with an actual connector when i can. i don't know which one i'll buy, since they're so new we don't have very many to compare. i can also get a PSU specific 4x8 to 16 pin PSU cable from cablemods before then for $50US give or take, depending on how many combs i want and what length i choose.

PS: I'm just playfully giving you a hard time, pretending you don't get the joke and presuming that you're playfully giving me a hard time as a result of my joke...

Now, the question is install it today with my current RM850x and a 12VHPWR adapter, or wait for the MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5 1000W to get here on Tuesday...
That's a question? My dude, plug that thing in!!! I ran this (well another 450W card) and a 12900K on a 750W PSU, your 850W (which Im running the same class PSU with that same 4090...) is fine (so long as it has the 4x PCIe 6+2 connectors).

Last edited:
Well, I did it. It works. It's pretty sketchy, the RM850x only has two PCIe cables each with two eight pin connectors on the end, so I plugged all four into the adapter that came with the card. Native 12VHPWR PSU will arrive Tuesday, so it's a temporary setup. I also had to gently nudge the side panel into place since the AIO hoses stick out pretty far. I wish they would put them on 90 degree fittings when the card is this wide! Ran through a 2077 bench maxed at 4k120 with these power and temp numbers, so I assume the hoses and wires are OK:

Screenshot 2022-10-15 224253.png

It's pretty sketchy, the RM850x only has two PCIe cables each with two eight pin connectors on the end, so I plugged all four into the adapter that came with the card
They specifically tell you not to do that, lol.

Are you sure that doesn't have enough connectors? Specs say it has six? At 850W, it should at least have four.

They specifically tell you not to do that, lol.

Are you sure that doesn't have enough connectors? Specs say it has six? At 850W, it should at least have four.

I went looking for more cables in the PSU box and there weren't any. The contents listing only said 2xPCIe cables - I think this is the version I have: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-2021-power-supply-review

edit: I just read around and it looks like the RMx series is made to do two connections on one, it uses 16 gauge wire to the first PCIe connector and the PSU side connectors are rated for 300w. Corsair even sells a 600 watt 12VHPWR cable with only two connectors on the PSU side: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...0-12VHPWR-Type-4-PSU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920284 - I think I'm fine for a few days :)

Last edited:

Yep, that's the 2018 version, one more PCIe cable and less EPS. Also a new fan design and sleep states were added to the 2021 version. They should both be fine to use the pigtails on the PCIe cables though, they should both use the 16+18 gauge design.

Where did you read not to use pigtails on the RTX 4090 adapter? I don't want to fry anything..

That's a really good looking card, and has outstanding temps. I think the MSI Suprim line was impressive for the 30 series (I own one, and both the hotspot and VRAM temps were good out of box) and now it continues to be good. With EVGA out, I think the two most recommended "premium" cards are going to be MSI Suprim and Asus Strix.

Yep, that's the 2018 version, one more PCIe cable and less EPS. Also a new fan design and sleep states were added to the 2021 version. They should both be fine to use the pigtails on the PCIe cables though, they should both use the 16+18 gauge design.

Where did you read not to use pigtails on the RTX 4090 adapter? I don't want to fry anything..
Specs show 6 pcie cables and 2 eps on the old one from my link.. but no matter. An 850W PSU with only two PCIe outputs is silly!!!

IIRC, the adapter packaging with the card had a little paper with it with pictures stating not to do it.

Back