• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA vs AMD performance after NVIDIA's R310 driver updates.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Knufire

To quote the NVIDIA driver releases:

Capture.PNG

Looking at the TPU review of the AMD 12.11 drivers (link here), they used 306.23 when testing NVIDIA cards. Although NVIDIA doesn't specify which 310.xx update had which enhancement, they all were released after this review.

Does this put the GTX680 back ahead of the 7970? By how much? Or are the numbers slightly exaggerated?

Nvidia exaggerate? Never!

I imagine it'll be a game-by-game comparison. My guess is that DX11 stuff that doesn't use tons and tons of tessellation will still go to AMD. Likewise if it uses bucketfulls of it, Nvidia will pull ahead.

I lack the HW to compare them unfortunately.
I know Earthdog has both, but he's either in the air towards CES in Vegas, or sleeping before being in the air.

From what I know ATI/AMD is faster in almost everything on 12.11 drivers while NVIDIA on 310 drivers is faster only in some games so it's just standard improvement for some titles.
On the other hand there are newer Catalyst 12.11 beta that are also faster than 1st 12.11 beta in newer titles like Far Cry 3.
There is about 11 beta versions of 12.11 ;) Like AMD said, they won't release official versions so often ... but they made 11 beta drivers in 3 months :p

Nvidia exaggerate? Never!

I imagine it'll be a game-by-game comparison. My guess is that DX11 stuff that doesn't use tons and tons of tessellation will still go to AMD. Likewise if it uses bucketfulls of it, Nvidia will pull ahead.

Yes, I prefer to compare drivers/ GPUs with the tesselation always off, considering what Nvidia did with Crysis 2 DX11...

And just like Woomack says, both card are toe to toes, it depends of the settings and how the game uses different graphical techniques (POM, tesselation, etc...)

battle of the drivers!
7970 and 680 has been going fist for fist exchanges!

but benching wise.. 7970 does better, as 680 doesn't really have benching drivers.
I only game on BF3, and I tried both cards, I will say for BF3 on average GTX680 has better FPS, so I agree with woomack too, NVDA seems to be pulling ahead in popular games by making very customed drivers to date, but basic card wise, 7970 GE probably faster.

To quote the NVIDIA driver releases:

View attachment 121445

Looking at the TPU review of the AMD 12.11 drivers (link here), they used 306.23 when testing NVIDIA cards. Although NVIDIA doesn't specify which 310.xx update had which enhancement, they all were released after this review.

Does this put the GTX680 back ahead of the 7970? By how much? Or are the numbers slightly exaggerated?

IMO Nvidia keep releasing new drivers over and over again and comparing them to old 306.23 drivers, which are pre AMD 12.11.

Here is another such review

There have been no reviews done on successive Nvidia drivers because they have had no improvements on the stated original 310.33 drivers response to AMD's 12.11.

They just keep getting re-released with the advertising rhetoric repeated over and over again to make people think they are getting continues performance improvements.
But when you look on forums; people who bought in to that are asking why they don't see any improvements over 310.33, 310.50 and 310.70.... Hell if they had been getting those performance improvements they would be running those games 80% faster than they were pre 310.33.

Nvidia are very good at marketing, thats all it is.

If someone can show me where it actually says those performance improvements are since the last 310.70 or whatever it was i will eat my hat.
Its just word play, or lack of wording to give you an impression.

Its underhanded BS marketing and not one reviewer would dare tell you that.

Last edited:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/55121
New in GeForce R310 Drivers:

•Performance Boost – Increases performance for GeForce 400/500/600 Series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 306.97 WHQL drivers. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration:

GeForce GTX 680:
◦Up to 38% in Far Cry 3
◦Up to 26% in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
◦Up to 16% in Battlefield 3
◦Up to 18% in Assassin's Creed III
◦Up to 9% in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
◦Up to 6% in Medal of Honor: Warfighter
◦Up to 6% in StarCraft II
◦Up to 6% in Dragon Age II
◦Up to 6% in Batman: Arkham City
◦Up to 5% in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

No hat eating for Frakk. That is pretty dubious to keep comparing to old drivers.

gk 110 will be here soon..there saying as soon as next month sporting a 899 dollar price tag..85% performance of a gtx 690.. the war will be finally over if it turns out true...

gk 110 will be here soon..there saying as soon as next month sporting a 899 dollar price tag..85% performance of a gtx 690.. the war will be finally over if it turns out true...

I don't see how that is true, as you can get at least 2 7970s for that price.

Although for a single GPU solution that is good performance, but for $900 that is hardly 'ending a war'.

For $900.... Meh.
You take $100 off the GTX690 pricetag and take 15% off the performance.
Plus side I guess is no SLI issues.

Wonder what the TDP will be.

What it will do is rearrange all the HWBot global rankings.

Back