• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]AMD Radeon HD 6870 and 6850 Review Roundup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why are the new 6850s cheaper then the 5850s?

Come on guys, read through the posts and articles.

The 6850 isnt meant to be the successor to the 5850. 6950 is going to replace the 5850.

Now, the 6870 is meant to replace the 5770 but its beating out even the 5850's. Probably one of the best buys ATM in my opinion.

Hmm... so the 6000 is not a performance increase per se, mostly an efficiency yield? I guess they just reorganized the chip and made it interact better, less power loss, and improvements on some features such as AA and tessellation?

I'm sure that this first batch of cards was also to find out the yields Amd had on the new Dies and to find clock/clock efficiencies. They may still have some tweaking to do before releasing the top dogs. ;)

Hmm... so the 6000 is not a performance increase per se, mostly an efficiency yield? I guess they just reorganized the chip and made it interact better, less power loss, and improvements on some features such as AA and tessellation?

It could be considered a great performance increase actually, which is why a lot of reviews are almost "glowing". It's just the performance increase is in the midrange market... Can't wait to see what the top range looks like, and it will be really exciting if the top range comes as soon as has been implied.

Back