• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Radeon VII Video Card Review Roundup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How does UEFI support not come with a card released in 2019? Easy fix for many enthusiasts... but we also arent many.

Why have a "Frontier Edition" and a "Gaming Edition" (aka 64/56) when you can just sell it as one PCB?

My line of thinking was if the VII is the same price as a 2070 but not really competing on the gaming front, why not look into ways to drop the price into a range where it can compete? I mean, AMD's "strong suite" recently has been price vs performance.

How does UEFI support not come with a card released in 2019? Easy fix for many enthusiasts... but we also arent many.

From reading a reddit thread apparently Vega had the same problem? The question still persists even for 201(7?)

I can't find any way to corroborate what I posted before, so I strike it from the record (that earlier vega (56/64) had that problem.

Apparently a BIOS fix has been released, just hope that you are using Windows

I picked one up, still testing it. Performance/value isn't that good. Not compared to an overclocked Vega card. Overclocked vs overclocked it is about 16% faster then my old Vega 64. I was able to get a solid 2000 GPU clock and 1100 HMB2 clock. I am not seeing as high of GPU temps as others. Mid 90's for the hot spot and mid 50's on the GPU, even at the high clocks. I am excited to see what future overclocking can be done once the drivers are figured out.

Last edited:
That's all on air?

I'm impressed by the 2000MHz core clock. If there is that much of a boost on the R7 than we could probably see some OEMs come out with some good (read: expensive) options to 2080. Deadphishy, are you putting it under water eventually?

We still don't know what the AIC's are allowed to do with these cards. AMD first came out and said no cards... then powercolor teases one with a red devil cooler thing on it (no idea on the PCB).

Hmm didn't catch the news on now AICs for R7. I was surprised to see that you needed to buy these from AMD nearly directly. I wonder if they are trying to inflate hype or they need to sell by demand only to make sure they stay in the black.

That was the other rumor... these cards aren't making them any money in the first place/not much/losing money. These are cut down Intstinct cards selling for $1500 normally.

That's all on air?

I'm impressed by the 2000MHz core clock. If there is that much of a boost on the R7 than we could probably see some OEMs come out with some good (read: expensive) options to 2080. Deadphishy, are you putting it under water eventually?

I would like to water cool it when a block comes out. After the new drivers I'm looking stable at 2050 GPU and 1200 Memory. I didnt think memory would have a big impact but it seems too. About 30700 in firestrike and 9500 in timespy. If you let it, It will pull as much power as a powerplay modded vega 64. Ive seen 375 watts in wattman. Not sure well get much more out of it.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

My Red Devil Vega 64 did 8000 in timespy. So the VII is 18.75% faster than the Red Devil V64. Or.....the Red Devil is 15.7% slower then a VII.

let's see, 2or3% for PCI4 on videocard (with Ryzen 3000 only ), plus 15% Ryzen3000. AMD starting sound really good after this June. Faster Ram (3600 MHz } You Know who my money on .:D

Only Time will tell.

TimespyRadeon7.PNG

Last edited:
????

Not like it would matter... PCIe 3.0 x16 isn't a bottleneck.

??? I know that NVidia still uses the SLI bridge/cable. AMD has moved the CF(X) to the PCIe slots. Maybe they need that extra bandwidth for the fast memory (1TB/s WOW).

Radeon 7 got some fixes and a Driver update today. Gpu-z now read the card and is in beta testing. The Driver Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.2.3 ( Optional ) no Info

NewGpuz.PNG

ZZZZZ.PNG

Last edited:
Why has nobody bothered to put Vega FE and Radeon VII numbers in the same table/chart/graph? If it's a card without ≥16 GB VRAM, I don't want to hear about it :p

Last edited:
I'm a BIG AMD FAN BUT D: you are not looking good on the Video Side :( I hope your CPU release is better, which Intel is NOT Going to let you.

NVidia is set to release a GTX-1660ti GPU that does not have the RT part.
This will be a straight up fight between a SuperCharged GTX-1080i and a R-VII. Let the fight begin :)

Problem are prices, not the performance. R7 offers high perfomance but its price is ridiculous. You can buy RTX2080 much cheaper in EU stores (I wasn't checking US). People see that and are not even touching R7. There is full stock in some large EU stores. The same was with Vega 56/64 after premiere. The same cards are on the shelves for long months and still cost $700+.
AMD adjusted prices of Vega in last monts and now some cards look good but these that were collecting dust for months are still overpriced. Can find Vega 56 for about $350 and reference cards supposed to be for about ~$300. It's about the same performance level as nvidia cards have to offer in this price, depends on the title.

Back