• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O.C. trouble with windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superVARIO

Registered
So I'm trying to oc to 4.8 with the 8120 but every time I try windows either seems to freeze right before the password screen or asks to repair itself. The CPU frequency multiplier is at x24.0 4800mhz and the cpu voltage is at 1.46v. North Bridge frequency multiplier is at 4800mhz. I just tried those settings, windows attempted to repair itself then after a while I received a dr debug code of 5d (Reserved for future AMI error codes). What to do? :confused: Thanks in advance to you all.

lower the cpunb multiplier?

I have not played around with BD yet... but i recall reading that it is not as important to OC that as it was on thuban. I might be mistaken though

lower the cpunb multiplier?

I have not played around with BD yet... but i recall reading that it is not as important to OC that as it was on thuban. I might be mistaken though

It's actually more important given the longer instruction pipeline which results in lower single thread performance. Bulldozer was meant to be clocked high, but the chip has the same problem the Pentium 4 did.

What you need to do is show us pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". Take some screen shots of the CPU-z interface, save to disk ("Snipping Tool" is great for this), use the "Go Advanced" button on any new post forum window and click on the paperclip icon at the top to use the forum pic attaching tool. Not sure what you mean when you say the NB frequency is 4800 mhz. That seems impossibly high.

So I've gone back to stock settings to see if I could get into windows and here I am.

Attachments

• cpu-z cpu.JPG
    cpu-z cpu.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 181
  • cpu-z  mem.JPG
    cpu-z mem.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 181
  • cpu-z spd.JPG
    cpu-z spd.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 182
As you can see, your NB frequency is actually 2200 mhz, not 4400 mhz. I see one big problem and that is that your ram frequency is 1866 mhz when your ram is only rated for 1600 mhz. CPU-z, by the way, reports ram frequency as the bus speed, not the DDR transfer rate which is 2x the bus frequency.

Attachments

• ramfreq.JPG
    ramfreq.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 184
Okay. Back to it. This is where I am now. Thanks for the info, trents. I'm new to all this so please forgive the dumb mistakes I make.

Attachments

• cpu-z cpu.JPG
    cpu-z cpu.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 173
  • mem.JPG
    mem.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 174
Your core temps at around 9c are kind of weird. That's lower than room temp unless you live in a refrigerator. Now, that could be due to one of two things: 1. The core temp sensor is poorly calibrated on the low end (and maybe altogether) or you have core unlocking enabled in bios. Could you check for #2 and disable it if that is the case. You don't have any cores to unlock with that CPU.

Having said all that it looks like everything in CPU-z is appropriate, including your memory frequency and timings.

Looks like you also have all the "green" stuff still active. We always advise folks to disable Cool N Quiet, C1E and Turbo in bios. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure that to High Performance. The green, power saving stuff cause instability at higher overclocks.

I've switched to performance mode in windows and have looked for any green options. They should all be off. This is what my bios look like.

Attachments

• DSCN0041.JPG
    DSCN0041.JPG
    997.4 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN0040.JPG
    DSCN0040.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 169
  • DSCN0031.JPG
    DSCN0031.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 165
Turn your ram voltage up to 1.6v
Turn your CPU-NB up to ~ 1.25v

if that doesnt work maybe try bumping it up another vCore notch but you shouldnt have to do that.

Testing @3.5ghz right now with prime 95 (32bit). Usually when I make it to the desktop with 3.8-4.1ghz as soon as prime95 starts the whole pc freezes. I hope this works.

Attachments

• 3.5.JPG
    3.5.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 150
  • 3.5 2.JPG
    3.5 2.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 3.5 3.JPG
    3.5 3.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 151
4.8 and above for the 4 cpu's i have require 1.5 volts or higher with the lowest llc.
also on 3 of them i have to run the cpu frequency at 250 and a lower multi.

@drosera01 I've gone back to stock settings since the posting of the bios pics and set the cpu multiplier to 3.5ghz. So I'm back from the store and here are my results from prime. LOL the date on my computer is wrong.

Attachments

• results.JPG
    results.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for the replies and patience everybody. This is where I'm at. Hopefully prime95 with find me worthy.

Attachments

• 4.8.JPG
    4.8.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 4.8 2.JPG
    4.8 2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 4.8 3.JPG
    4.8 3.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 145
Back