• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/Cooks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i know TONS of potato recipes, mostly due to my Irish heritage

i do alot of different chicken and stuff, i am not that big of fan of red meats, except pork, but that realy isnt red in the first place is it?

i do alot of gourmet pasta's be it italian, french, or polish style stuff

i also love to cook in dutch ovens, doing that stuff is the roxxorz

nerdlogic said:
I've cooked since I learned how to walk in my grandma's kitchen in Mexico. She'd make me help her so I can keep out of trouble. I've never used recipes, really. Sometimes just for a reference but I never use any measuring utensils. I can cook just about anything and hopefully I can throw out some recipes that can be figured out without measurements.

Logic, I use measuring utinsils all the time, just not to measure with. When we were kids, we never had a ladle for getting some soup (or stew) out of the pot, we used the 1/2 or 1 cup measuring cups. All of us still do the same thing. (there are 7 of us, the youngest is 35) So does the next generation.

All of my brothers are great cooks, using the same policy. Not measuring anything! Our one sister, has FINALLY! learned how to cook, for her 5 kids.

Funny, you learned to cook, in the same place my father did. In his mother's (my grandma's) kitchen, in Mexico. He was born there, as were his parents.

steve

I did make a killer tuna noodle casserole when I was younger, but never wrote down the recipe...I'm sure I can recreate it with a bit of experimentation.

Not doing much cooking at present as my roommate has taken over the kitchen (and is starting to take over my section of the fridge...grar). I can make spaghetti, miso with anything, green chile stew from a mix, artichokes, corn, fried eggs and stirfry. Usually now the only time I actually get to cook is when I'm home.

I confess that I did once burn a poptart in the microwave. Long story...

skou said:
Logic, I use measuring utinsils all the time, just not to measure with. When we were kids, we never had a ladle for getting some soup (or stew) out of the pot, we used the 1/2 or 1 cup measuring cups. All of us still do the same thing. (there are 7 of us, the youngest is 35) So does the next generation.

All of my brothers are great cooks, using the same policy. Not measuring anything! Our one sister, has FINALLY! learned how to cook, for her 5 kids.

Funny, you learned to cook, in the same place my father did. In his mother's (my grandma's) kitchen, in Mexico. He was born there, as were his parents.

steve

I can see why people can't cook but I don't understand why. It's so easy, it's just tossing complimentary ingredients... but that's just me.

Anyways, learning in grandma's kitchen is just about the best place for me. Those smells hold my favorite childhood experiences and it always brings a smile to my face. :) Aww... I miss Abuelita.

I've been cooking since I was a kid (what's the best way to bet cookie batter then to make a batch yourself) and it's now my profession, I'm a cook in one of the top 500 restaurent in north america(according to DiRoNa) or at the very least a great a 4 star place...I can cook up a 8 dish meal with 2 sporks and a blender...but only if I can use a gas oven, I tend to make water stick to pans when I try anything off an electrical oven.

Best thing I've cooked up, Marie-Louise grapefruit: lobster(cooked, cooled and cut in bits), scallop(cooked, cooled and cut in bits), grapefruit segment, in a lightly seasones mayonaise(pickled fine herbs, cognac, bit of tabasco, crushed green and pink peper.) Served in an emptied grapefruit peel, topped with a lobster claw and some fresh herbs.

next week we'll see appetizer no2 of that gastronomical meal...

here is a dish i make (its great... can be fat/sugar free, and is ADDICTING)

i call it snicker pie.

1. Start 1/2 gallon of chocolate ice cream of your choice.

2. Put into mixing bowl. Add in 1 full container of whipped cream.

3. Mix together. Then, after mixture is nice and creamy, add in 2 cups of cruncy peanut butter of your choice. Mix

4. Add in crushed up granola (gives it the snicker's feel after you refreeze it)

5. Secret ingrediant is love, dammit.... but seriously... Add in 1 cup of Honey

6. After getting smooth (should still see 'lumps' for granola flakes and peanuts from the PB), pour/ooze/scoop into multiple empty and clean butter bowls. (should take 2 1/2 bowls).

7. Put in freezer, and let re-freeze overnight.

8. Pull back out.

9. Eat self into sugar induced coma. Or, if you are diabetic, uhm.... eat self into sugar induced coma....

I make a mean grilled cheese(With Chili powder, grond beef, etc.), and can mix tuna with the best of em!

(What do you mean, only use 2 table spoons of extra cholestrol mayonaisse? You out of your mind?)

i can cook a mean brisket and make my own bbq sauce and i never measure any thing :p

mmmmm red meat is a gift from god.....
well cooking on the bbq is a peice of cake (or should i say slab of meat) but preparing the sauce for the meat is a work of art...MMMMM i love meat...
did i mention i love red meat)

ok check out this!
its called chicken in a pit!
you take chicken, any parts or whole chickens youfancy
fill em up with sauce and veggies or anything you want and put them in tin foil (a few layers)
dig a pit about 2 feet deep and wide enough for all of the meat to layside by side before preping the meat
make a fire and put the red coals into the pit then the meat and then cover it with more hot coals. coverit up with sand and wait 24 hours
yummy!

nerdlogic said:
:D Like when Homer Simpson was cooking and everything caught on fire... including the bowl of cereal he poured milk into. Cracks me up all the time.
I know people like that...a best friend's mom is that way. Usually the only times she gets "real" food is when I'm home and she stays overnight.

I am the cook of the household, my wife and mother in law have a couple of things they can do well but, somehow, they suck at everyday meals. I guess I like cooking, when it's not near the end of the month and we're out of real food. I should write my recipes down though, I was making great shepherds pie for a while, then I didn't do it for a month or two and I've forgotten what the trick was. I had a hard time making chili last week because I hadn't made it in a while, doh.

I've got a salmon in the freezer I've been trying to figure out what to do with, any ideas?

RoadWarrior said:
I've got a salmon in the freezer I've been trying to figure out what to do with, any ideas?

Wrap it in plastic, put it in a box with a lot of dry ice, and send it to me!! :D:D

Seriously, I love making fish chowder out of most any fish. Here's my recipe;

Fry up 1/4-1/2 pound of bacon, in a dutch oven, or a big aluminum pot. Make sure the bacon is sliced thin, and then cut in 1/4 inch strips crosswise. When the bacon is cooked crispy, remove it from the pot, but leave some of the grease.

Put in 1 diced onion, and fry until the onion is translucent. Add 3 or 4 peeled and diced potatoes, and (if you are making clam chowder the juice out of 2 cans of clams), or 1 bottle of clam juice. Add water to almost cover the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to flavour. Cook until the potatoes are almost done.

If you are using fish, cut raw fish into small bite sized pieces. Add to the potatoes, with about 3 minutes cooking time left.

Remove from heat.

If not using fish, when the potatoes are done, add the clams. Add 1 can of canned milk, or cream. add 1/4-1/2 pound of butter (if desired) Add the crumbled bacon.

Eat!

Yes, I am heavy, thanks for asking. :D

steve

man you made me want to make some
skou said:
Wrap it in plastic, put it in a box with a lot of dry ice, and send it to me!! :D:D

Seriously, I love making fish chowder out of most any fish. Here's my recipe;

Fry up 1/4-1/2 pound of bacon, in a dutch oven, or a big aluminum pot. Make sure the bacon is sliced thin, and then cut in 1/4 inch strips crosswise. When the bacon is cooked crispy, remove it from the pot, but leave some of the grease.

Put in 1 diced onion, and fry until the onion is translucent. Add 3 or 4 peeled and diced potatoes, and (if you are making clam chowder the juice out of 2 cans of clams), or 1 bottle of clam juice. Add water to almost cover the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to flavour. Cook until the potatoes are almost done.

If you are using fish, cut raw fish into small bite sized pieces. Add to the potatoes, with about 3 minutes cooking time left.

Remove from heat.

If not using fish, when the potatoes are done, add the clams. Add 1 can of canned milk, or cream. add 1/4-1/2 pound of butter (if desired) Add the crumbled bacon.

Eat!

Yes, I am heavy, thanks for asking. :D

steve

Funny thing, I haven't made any for years, but I'm doing that, right now.

I'm using breakfast sausage, instead of bacon, but this recipe is flexible.

steve

How about some pictures of what you guys are making?

I'm just curious to see as to what you can whip up.

You are amazing.

Is that melted butter in the bottom of the pot? Genious.

Also, add some sliced carrots/potatoes/parsley for extra flavor ;)

Back