• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC help required....3570k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

expert87

Hello...

As per my previous thread selecting a new cpu I got the I5 3570k , the Asus P8Z77-V PRO and Samsung Rams 2*4GBs .... on my way I also got a zalman water cooler.
(by the way the fallen capacitor didn't fall from the mb.)

anyhow...
Its oc time for me....
I got a little bit confused as the general spd mentioned in the system properties don't change...unlike the core 2 duo I had...

so...I used the mobo ocing program (AI Tweak), which oced the pc little by little, so far it reached 4.4GHZ more than that the pc would fail to start "I think its the ram"
questions:
1- using prime 95, Aida64 ,cpu-z and the mb Asus Suite, I got this pic:

823201272658pm.jpg

PIC LINK

I got a warning from norton 360 regarding high temps (70 and up), and the temps as specified in the pic...I'm confused as part of the cpu temps are far too normal and the other part is far too hot!

2-what are the normal DDR 3 voltages (the seller who suggested buying those rams mentioned low voltage thresholds which allows more ocing), and what are the max temps?

3- I'm getting strange CPU:FSB ratio 1:6 .... is that ok? how can I oc further since the rams seem to limit any further ocing.

4- How to oc the nominal speed of the cpu (meaning not to wait for good temps to raise the multiplier, like the core 2 duo used to do either idle or max)

5- I "heard" somewhere about triple channel for the ddr3, does it need 3 pcs of ram to run? and what is the arrangement of rams to get a triple channel?

Have you checked out the 4.5Ghz SB o/c guide? Its more or less the same... perhaps just set the voltage to 1.30 for 4.5Ghz though and see what happens.

1. 70C is fine for the CPU
2. 1.5 -1.65v is normal. To check what your sticks are, either check the specs on their website, or use CPUz SPD tab.
3. What speed is your memory running at (CPUz Memory tab)? Its rated settings?
4. Not sure what you are asking here...
5. This platform is DUAL channel, you want 2 or 4 sticks. Refer to your manual for which slots to put in 2 sticks.

thank you for your reply
regarding point 1 ,,,, I meant that I'm getting conflicting temps from aida (some cpu related temps are 70 and some are 50) while the mb prog. mentioned 50 only for cpu...I'm not sure which is correct

As for rams, its 1.35V as per the manual for (normal operation) nothing else is mentioned.
current ram spds are 840MHZ , bios readings are 1.356V

the 4th point...well I noticed the speeds go up gradually on i5....while on the core 2 duo it was either idle or loaded which I think is better...is there a way to get that.

I cant see the picture (blocked from my office). Host it from this site.

Also, I have no idea about your ambient temperature, voltage to the CPU (unless that picture shows it). So regardless, we need that information.... as well as noting idle temperatures do not matter. You need stress test (Prime95, torture test - small fft) to load the CPU.

So here is what I'm doing:

CPU voltage offest is set to AUTO
RAM voltage is set to AUTO
Ratio is 41
FSB is 105
I want to reach 110 ,that is 4.5GHZ
yesterday, I thought that Ram was not oving more than 1.35 so it is not helping my oc...
today, I tried to ov the rams without any ocing, they reached upto 1.45 nicely
I set the FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1 , FSB to 110 , RAM gave 1540MHZ which is lower than nominal spd so it should work...
the pc failed to start and reseted to default settings.....
tried oving the cpu to 1.4 , same results
all the voltages are set to Auto and I can notice they change when I chainge any oc settings.
something else needs oving as it seems but I cannot figure it out...

EDIT: I've got 3 FSB:RAM Ration settings (AUTO , 100:100 and 100:300) I set it to 100:100 assuming it is same as 1:1 , what I'm getting now on CPU-Z is 1:7 !

You shouldnt be on auto voltage.

You need to overclock with the MULTIPLIER, not the bclk(fsb)

Back