• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Help with E8200 w/ MSI P43 Neo, Windows won't start on cold boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmdr_fraggen

Hey guys, new to these forums and a bit noobish to overclocking. Thought I'd pose this problem I'm having.

This is my system build:
Intel E8200
MSI P43 Neo-3
OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 5-5-5-18 timings @ 2.1V
Rosewill 630W Power Supply
BFG Geforce GTX 280
Sparkle Geforce 8400GS (PCI)
2x250GB HDD
External 500GB USB HDD (plugs into wall socket for power)

Everything runs fine at stock settings (CPU @ 2.66 GHz (333 FSB) and Auto voltage set in BIOS, and memory set at a 5:8 ratio at 1066 MHz with the above timings and voltage).

However, when I overclock my FSB to 400 MHz (CPU @ 3.2 GHz) and put the FSB:Memory ratio at 3:4 so the memory remains at 1066 MHz, Windows never loads correctly after a cold boot when the computer has been off for a long time. I dual boot Vista and XP, and the boot manager comes up fine, but after I select Vista, the computer either restarts before the Windows loading bar comes up or Windows fails to load because it can't find a driver or system file. After a restart, Windows then proceeds to load normally, and the windows memory test and various tools like SuperPI and OCCT report no errors, and the computer runs fine after that for 12 hours or more. I've tried increasing the vcore voltage from stock (around 1.2V) to 1.23 V (anything more and I'd rather run at stock speeds, because at 1.23 V it idles at around 46C according to RealTemp), but it still gives me this problem on a cold boot. One thing is that although I have my memory voltage set at 2.1V, HWMonitor reports my DRAM Voltage at 1.84V, and I'm not sure which number to trust). Could this be a power supply issue then?

Back