• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't plan on much of an overclock if you move to a FX-6300 as the power draw will quickly skyrocket if you overclock it and a mATX board is not likely to be up to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Or would I get a decent performance bump with a 4350?

No.

- - - Updated - - -

Or would I get a decent performance bump with a 4350?

It might even be a step down from the overclocked P2 X4 9350. The FX-43xx series is not a true quad core in some ways because of (I think) the way the cores share cache resources. If I recall correctly, it will only show up as a dual core in Cinebench. But it will show four cores in Prime95. The FX-4350 has a higher per core clock speed than a stock P2 X4 955 and might seem quicker in some light duty tasks but some of the uses you mention are not light duty tasks.

And a stock FX-6300 will only give you a relatively modest performance increase over an overclocked P2 X4 955. The FX series was a big disappointment. Arguably, the Phenom II series was AMDs last good product in the enthusiast/gamer/performance sector of computing.

Last edited:
Back