• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc seti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

how can i crunch seti for ocforums? i got boinc but what projects do i attach? confused... lol

ok to explain this is what ive done..
downloaded boinc, attached seti@home project, joined Overclockers.com group
ah but you need to attach as many jobs as possible and then join the ocforums group on each one?

so far only einstein is working... bah im too tired. going to bed :D

Welcome ppe1700! :welcome:

You have joined the best group of alien finders around!

Since you have downloaded BOINC you only need to attach it to one project, SETI. When the BOINC install asks for the URL of the project enter...

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

(If you have already gone through the install; in the BOINC
Manager go to Tools / Attach to project... and enter the line above.)

At the time of install you can also create your account and then you will be able to log into Seti@home's web sight to change your preferences, including your team affiliation. Go here...

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/index.php and then to "Login" under "Your Account".

If you need any more help let us know and welcome aboard!!

thanks :D i got something working lol. i joined the einstein address and it immediatly started downloading work. the seti one said it couldnt connect - may be server probs.
what groups do you all use? is it just the seti?
what are the other groups anyway?

thanks :D i got something working lol. i joined the einstein address and it immediatly started downloading work. the seti one said it couldnt connect - may be server probs.
what groups do you all use? is it just the seti?
what are the other groups anyway?

To join our team, log on to the seti website and go here. Theres a link above the ranks that says join this team, click it.

all done :) lets find intelligent life :)
are you lot following how/when they found those planets with similar conditions to earth?
do you watch the sky at night? (british astonomy program)

IIRC - they don't know if it's similar or not, as yet. But Gliese 581c is certainly in the habitable zone so if they can ever get a good spectral reading we'll know for sure.

I don't watch the sky much, anymore - my schedule doesn't really permit it. I can catch some early morning stuff but that's about it. I used to own a 100x1000mm refractor many, many years ago. Maybe in a few years, after I retire, I can get back into it.

I did have an opportunity a few years ago, during a partial solar, to shine the eclipse through my survey instrument. I had planned to watch the eclipse anyway (brought along a sun filter) and just after I had set up in the park a 4th grade class from the local school showed up to see it, too. We spread out a 2x3' set of construction prints, blank side up, and watched the eclipse together on the paper. It was quite a show for them and I felt good passing that wonder on to the kids ... :)

Last edited:
IIRC - they don't know if it's similar or not, as yet. But Gliese 581c is certainly in the habitable zone so if they can ever get a good spectral reading we'll know for sure.

I don't watch the sky much, anymore - my schedule doesn't really permit it. I can catch some early morning stuff but that's about it. I used to own a 100x1000mm refractor many, many years ago. Maybe in a few years, after I retire, I can get back into it.

if you dont have time to look up yourself, or the equipment (like me) then you might like to do what i do and watch this monthly program that is aired over here in england since the 40s i think. called the sky at night
i always watch online because the show is on very late at night. they talk about all sorts of space things and explain whats in our skies this month. hope you like it, and i hope im within the forum rules to post that link - it is related to what were doing.

Last edited:
Back