• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC settings using ASUS M4A88T-M help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jlohojo7

Hey built many htpc never took the time to learn how to overclock

I'm using a ASUS M4A88T-M and AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core. Excuse the copy and paste. Ive looked in the bios and it's a little difficult. I've had other boards in the paste that simply allow for 5 10 15 and 20% CPU over clocking. That's easy but this board not so much. What are the best settings. I have all cores unlocked.

Would appreciate any help from you pros. Love this site by the way just found it.
Joe

Will answer any questions. For you

First of all, we need more info about your hardware. What kind of PSU are you using and how many watts? What are you cooling the CPU with? Make and model of case and number/size/location of case fans? These might seem like silly questions to you but they have a definite bearing on overclockability.

Have you stress tested your unlocked CPU with Prime95 blend to check for stability? And have you checked CPU socket temps while stress testing? These two things should come first before you try to do any overclocking. So, if you haven't done so, download and install Prime95 and run the blend test for an hour. While that is going, have HWMonitor open. It's a free program you can download. We won't be able to check core temps while the CPU is in unlocked mode but we can check CPU socket temps.

Overclocking is an incremental, step by step discipline and it is not wise to fly into it hastily.

hey thanks alot ! this is the sort of guidance i was looking for. I dont think any of it is silly. Its late now but i am going download the program and run the test tomorrow motrning or afternoon.

its a custom built computer APEX DM-387 but i have replaced the 80mm with an Enermax one that is alot quiter more effecient and moves more air. it has the stock 240w power supply however thinking of replacing it with A Power 420w watt. would that be worth it? allegedly its alot quiter however i dont think this one is all that loud. the fan is on the top of the case however i have mine laying down flat so now its on the side. I am using this as a HTPC mostly, powered Split the hdmi to my sony 1080p projector and monitor. what do i need to upgrade or change video card or ram. any suggestions will be looked at. I LOVE buying new stuff. haha

windows 7 ultimate
radeon 5450 via hdmi
Using 4gb gskill ddr3
640gb WD also have 2 iomega externals 1.5tb and 2tb
I have been wanting to upgrade the HD to a 2tb but bc i have the 2 externals and dont want to take the time for a clean install just havent done it.

Will this program take core temps ? if not im not sure excatly how to do that?

I use to use Everest alot awhile back is this similar?

thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Let's see if I can untangle what you just posted. It kind of runs together. I know how that is when you are tired. I'll try and answer your questions but maybe in a different order than you asked them.

1. If you are using this computer mainly for HTPC, then you don't need to upgrade the video card or the memory. What you have is more than adequate.
2. I'm concerned that your PSU may be inadequate. Concerning the A Power 420W, don't go there. Please don't buy a cheap PSU like that. Cheap PSUs actually put out much less wattage than they advertise because they advertise "peak power" instead of sustained power. They may also not be shielded well and along with the cheap components may give off a lot of "electrical noise" that will produce interference with televisions. This would be a much better choice if you live in USA: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034 if it would fit in your case. Does it take a standard size PSU?
3. As long as you have cores unlocked, you cannot read the temperatures of the cores. The core unlocking technology interferes with the software trying to communicate with the temperature sensors. So the next best thing is to track the CPU socket temps. HWMonitor will do that. Another good approach is to disable the unlocked cores temporarily, stress test with Prime95 on three cores, take note of both the core temp and the CPU temp and the differential between the two. Then you can reinstate the core unlock and track CPU temps. Sense you know the differential between the two you can assume that differential will stay about the same whether you are running 3 cores or 4. That way you can estimate the core temp. Everest will work for temp monitoring I think but its complexity is distracting. HWMonitor is clean and simple.
4. I am also concerned that your case ventilation may be inadequate for unlocking/overclocking. That small case with small fans was made for HTPC low power stuff and you are kind of doing an overkill thing. A dual core processor would have been plenty. Stress testing and temp monitoring will be critical with your setup.

I reliase this is all overkill for a htpc but it's go big or go home. Plus its useful for later on builds you know. this is what i was looking at and they keep selling out and i have read good things about them I need a small unit there its a small case

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AK420M&cat=CAS

however you know more then me so i will go with your judgement, my main concern her is to get the best video and sound i possibly can i want lossless audio and believe i am setup correct to get it. however i use ps3 system for that but i do have an extra bluray reader i could put in my htpc.

The PSU is really small and the A Power one is the only one i have seen that will fit, you think i need differnt video card to overclock that. im willing to go to work for you on this thing tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am in to doing things right and paying a litte more if the benefit is worth it. but i cant find anther psu that would fit likethat A power does any suggestions. i appreciate you again for seeing me all the way through this. Also what setup or codec packages do you use to get dolby HD DTS HDMA. i want ot see that pop onto the front of my harmon kardon AVR. I have been using Shark007 pack. would appreacite some help there also

Well, if that's the only PSU you have found that will fit I guess you will need to go with it. Maybe some other forum participants are aware of other options. I really don't think you will need upgrade your video card. What people don't realize is that HDMI is not demanding at all on the video side. As long as the card has enough ram to cover the resolution of your screen and an HDMI port you should be fine. Concerning the codex pack, I'm pretty ignorant of all that. My only experience with add-on codecs is with K-lite to be able to get Windows to play DVDs. There is a Audio and Video forum here where you might get more help there. Go to the home page of OC Forums and scroll down. You will see it. AV is not my area of strength.

Back