• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED OC with 4 sticks of ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Linux_Box

EP45 UD3R motherboard
2x1gb OCZ 1100
2x1gb GSkill 1066
q9400 CPU

I finally got this working after upgrading to the q9400. It is running fine at 375x8 for 3GHZ.

333 latch running 2.4b for 900mhz on memory (all sticks rated 1066 or better)
Dram timings = auto
Load line = disabled
Vcore = 1.218
CPU term = auto
CPU PLL = auto
CPU ref = auto
MCH core = 1.2
MCH ref = auto

Pretty much everything else at auto/default.

When I go to 400mhz, it won't boot. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the 4 sticks of ram as I can get it to work with 2 sticks. Since I haven't OC'd in a long time, I'm having trouble figuring out which settings to bump up for the FSB/memory increase. Seems VTT is the term being used but motherboard has nothing called VTT..

Any ideas to get the 4 sticks to work at 400mhz (remember it works with 2 sticks just fine)?

Your biggest problem is that you're using mis-matched memory sticks. Check the timings that each set is rated for and set them manually in BIOS to the slowest kit's value. Same with voltage too, set that manually to the highest of the two kits.

I assume the OCZ are installed in DIMM slots 1 and 3, while the G.Skill are in slots 2 and 4 or vice versa? VTT in your BIOS is called FSB Termination voltage, w/ a default value of 1.20v. You could try bumping the VTT and / or the MCH Core voltage (vNB = default value of 1.10v). Or you could also try changing the strap from 333 on the 2.40B multiplier to the 400 strap on either the 2.00 or 2.66D multiplier (equals effective DRAM frequencies of either DDR2-800 or DDR2-1064 at a FSB of 400MHz).

Yes, I put the OCZ in 2/4 and GSkill in 1/3 which puts them into dual channel mode.

I'll try those suggestions. My son is over for the weekend and he's playing on it atm... he's very happy with the upgrade from the e5200. I'll work on it Monday & Tuesday.

I'm actually utilizing g.skill 4x1GB ddr2-800 and they seem to OC about 50-100mhz over stock with no issues and no need for timing adjustments or voltage increases! I'm sure I could push it further but a moderate OC is all I need.

It seems the OCZ ram does not like the settings the MB is using at default. Irritating because I have to take them out if my tweaking doesn't work but at least I know the cause.

Back