• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC550's ultimate winchester thread, wish me overclocking luck!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is two versons of gigabyte. I paid $110 for it so even if I get the "cheaper" verson I wont be out anything because they sell for more than that new. I honestly dont need most of the features of the "expensive" verson but its just nice to have. As long as the board works fine, ill be happy. msi k8n neo2's go for like $150 and they are buggier than the gigabytes too.

Overclocker550 said:
msi k8n neo2's go for like $150 and they are buggier than the gigabytes too.
Sadly its the other way around. The K8NSXP-939 is $200 and is far buggier than the $135 K8N neo2. :(

I paid $110 for mine and I heard it doesnt matter which you choose, both have problems so I just went for the good deal.

Overclocker550 said:
I paid $110 for mine and I heard it doesnt matter which you choose, both have problems so I just went for the good deal.

good luck dude getting to 3ghz (unfeasible tho)... but its good to know you will be okay with 2.4GHz, id do too

If mines strained silcon, theres a chance of 3GHz. A few people already got the early SS ones and they are getting about 2.6GHz at stock 1.4v, 2.8GHz with a modest volt bump to perhaps 1.55 or 1.6 and those who really push the volts, say to 1.75 and have very good air or watercoooing to back it up have seen at or near 3GHz. Charlie hit 3GHz screenshot, 2.85 superPI stable all on winter air cooling at 15c! without SS, 2.4 to 2.6GHz is realistic, with SS its more like 2.8GHz or even more :D

is this the best set of two 256mb sticks for benching?

http://store.yahoo.com/digi4me/gs51kit2x2dd.html

Once I am done benching, those will be sold to someone else who can use them. No use sitting on ram for months since prices drop and there may be even better ram by then. I will use my corsair value 2x512mb for gaming async. again, what can I expect at 2-2-2-5, 2.5-3-3-7 and 3-4-4-8? Is it best to run async but at 2-2-2-5?

by the way, you are right, no use speculating the limits of my ondie controller. I will just push the fsb 1:1 as high as I can. Those 3-4-4-8 timings really suck. How high can they do at 2-2-2-5? Its rated only 200fsb at those, maybe I can run 240s at 2-2-2-5? what about 2.5-3-3-7? The cheapest gig is $250, is this still good enough for 280+ 1:1 at 2.5-3-3-7 if my ondie controller doesnt hold me back? 256mb sticks will only be good for 3dmarking, I need a gig for gaming. Seeing ill probably get held by my ondie controller before the ram holds me back, I might just take my chances with a gig. If I get the pc4800 stuff, I can always run 300fsb at 3-4-4-8 and if it crashes, I know 100% certain its my ondie limiting me. I will initially leave the timings at 3-4-4-8 and get the highest fsb I can. Only than will I tighten the timings. If I dont lose any fsb, thats more proof its my cpu limiting me. What if my winchester can do 290x9 for 2.61GHz but the ondie controller can only handle 270fsb which will mean 2.43GHz on the cpu? I will lose either way by running my ram async or clocking my cpu lower to run 1:1 would I be able to rma the ram for a 100% refund if it cant do its rated speed for any reason? I suppose I can save up and give it a try, if I dont hit 300fsb 1:1 its going back cause if I have to run async, any cheap ram can run async, no use running expensive ram async.

I would go with a 2 x 256MB kit of Mushkin PC3200 LVL II V2 myself..

Link

enter code 'ANAND' at checkout and you'll save 10% off the price and they probably have a free FedEx shipping deal.

Well honestly, probably about the same as any other TCCD that's in a 2 x 256MB DC Kit. Still, it's Mushkin and it's a good price. I think finding memory that will do 300FSB is going to be very tough to do.

pc4800 ram is rated for 300fsb but very few winchesters or a64s for the matter have ondie controllers that can go this high. expect 250-270 for the average ondie controllers. I have $130 gskill 2x256 in mind but its gonna be an all or nothing approach, not sure if ill even bother. $130 is alot just to score a few hundred higher then id need to ebay the ram for whatever I can get back and it may be for nothing if my ondie controller cant do 270+ 1:1 ill have to run async and my corsair value can do async anyway!

if you don't

get better ram you will not be able to test any of your lofty therories out, that Corsair Value is not what you want to test the high limits of your new 939 setup.

then, when you get the better ram, KEEP IT, jeesh, and get rid of the lower performing Corsair Value stuffs.

it really doesn't make any sense that you would want to backtrack to lesser quality ram after testing...................................

baldy :santa2:

I dont feal like looking back in the thread so i will ask this when are u getting yourem otherboard cuss you made this thread like along time ago and we havent see any oc's

Back