• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCF Alt. DC Teams Revitalization?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

khiloa

Open Source Senior
Hello guys.

A year or two ago, this forum was active and a relatively small but dedicated group of guys worked on many Alt. DC Projects and recruited others to join in the various causes. Now, there is virtually ZERO activity in this forum, and I believe that is rather unfortunate. I admit, I have not been helping out myself in terms of actual production in any Alt. DC Projects lately myself, but mainly due to the fact that my computer crashed last summer and I didn't need it badly enough to get it fixed. Now I have a few computers back and I can start helping out again with NetDIMES, Majestic-12, Rosetta, etc. We still do have a few guys helping out, but only a tiny percentage of the help we had 18 months ago.

Some statistical proof:

Majestic-12
http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/teaminfo.php?id=54
http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/teams.php

It appears as if Hammer is the solitary contributer to our MJ12 team these days. Team #22 in the world.

NetDIMES
http://www.netdimes.org/new/data.php?team=802
http://www.netdimes.org/new/data.php?getAll=GroupsByMeas

Search "netDIMES" on Google and the original OCF 'DIMES Thread is the 3rd result listed. Our team is currently number 13 in the world, but participation is still down considerably, we need more help in this primordial of our major Alt. DC efforts here. We currently have 6 daily users according to this. We will not stay at #13 for long with only 6 participants!

I do not know which specific Alt. DC projects are popular these days, but I know we can do better, we just have to reinvigorate ourselves. According to this page, we are #43 in the world as a combined overall aggregate ranking, taking all DC projects into consideration.

Tell your friends about some of these projects, advertise them in your signature like we used to do and some of us continue to do. Remember, NetDIMES, MJ12, and one or two others use virtually zero CPU cycles, so you can install them on your SETI or Folding rigs and you will only gain production for new projects, without any loss in production in your previous DC projects.

I know that with the big F@H contest starting in just a few days, this is not the best timing for me to post this, but I know we can do this. You guys can get your plans ready during the F@H contest so that as soon as it is over you can dedicate one of your rigs to one or two of these alternative projects.

Let's go!

Still waiting internet to get turned on at my new house, they're taking their sweet *** time with it. I'll have a nice farm up soon enough though, dedicating some of it to Alt.DC :thup:

I'm doing Einstein@home and Rosetta@home

e3110 @ 4.2 (Einstein, not running yet)
Q6600 @ 3.4 (Rosetta)
X2 6400+ @ 3.4 (Einstein, not running yet)
e6850 @ ?? (Einstein, not running yet)
Core Duo @ 2.0 (Einstein)
Core2Duo Woldale @ 2.6 (Coming today!)

I haven't got all the computers working yet since the air conditioning is not on yet and that room is a solid 80f with the computers idling.

Lets see what YOU GOT!! :D

I just installed xp x64 a few days ago, thanks for reminding me about dimes. I'm using agent version 0.5.0, I can't figure out how to tweak the settings. (I remember having to change the measurement rate, upload rate, etc.) I tried installing the agent as a service, non-service, launched manually, automatically, everything I could think of, but it doesn't go to the tray and I can't see the gui.

Any ideas?

I just installed it myself as a service, stopped the service to start the regular agent to tweak the settings, then restarted the service. When I started the agent it showed up in the tray and I opened it from there. It did seem rather buggy, though, with a few strange messages when I started and stopped the service.

Still no luck with it. The service seems very buggy in general, and if I manually start the agent I see the splash screen and that's it. It's not showing up in the tray. I'm using the java x64, maybe it has something to do with that. As long as it's running I'm getting some points though.

I agree that we should push others to install it, with only 5 more people we could double our output.

I tried MJ12 again yesterday and even with the bandwidth settings turned way down, it kept killing my internet connection for some reason. :shrug:

sorry guys. i've had lots going on in life which makes dedicating time to a DC project near impossible.

I lost everything when my wife ...well... now ex-wife... went insane and kicked me out of the house we had just moved into. No we are in the midst of a nasty custody battle and divorce battle that is sapping all my money and energy.

I can't even remember how to set-up boinc or optimize it. I'd do boinc, but our internet service has been acting up severely with all the bad weather and trees constantly knocked down and snapping our phone lines in the area.

Back