• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing a AMD Phenom II X4 945, Help New User/Overclocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
is 66c is till to high while using prime95 what temps should it be close to roughly?

With Deneb processor the Core Temps should be less than 55c as has been the norm
for as long as I can remember the Deneb core type processor.

The Socket/CPU Temp should be no more than 62c as a norm for the Deneb type core procesor.

UNTIL the FX processors that were first released in Fall of 2011, the standard and common rule of thumb was for the CPU_NB to be greater than or perhaps equal to the HT Link Speed.

Now with the advent of the FX processors their HT Link Speed is stock at 2600Mhz and in the case of this newer cpu, the CPU_NB can be slower Or faster than the HT Link Speed.
RGone...

Ok so I should be fine with CPU_NB at x10 2400 MHz and the HT Link frequency at x9 2160 MHz ? also how are other people able to overclock there phenom II x4 945's to 3.8 GHz is it my motherboard/cooling limiting me? I know I'm talking about old discontinued products here but I'm a poor student trying to squeeze extra performance out of my rig without spending much $$ :)

First of all, max temp for Phenom II is 62C period. 55c is the max you want to see when overclocking. If you want to continue down the path of Overclocking you need to do 2 things to get great success.

Step 1: Buy an aftermarket CPU cooler. This will keep the temps lower and allow you to OC more. Cooler Master Hyper 212 is the best bang for your buck for an upgrade. $35 with .99 shipping at newegg right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Step 2: Start off by reading Dolks Phenom II overclocking guide. All of it. I used that same guide to push my old 965 to 4.1 stable. You can find that here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

That should really help you get started. First get a better CPU Cooler.

Can anyone explain to me or tell me why HT Link frequency needs to be close to 2000 when my CPU-NB frequency is at 2400, I thought HT Link frequency was ok as long as it was = or > then CPU-NB frequency

That's only true for the FX CPU family. On the CPU you are currently using the HT Link frequency needs to be equal to or less than the CPU/NB frequency.

I cant find any model or make on my PC Case its a standard one I got about 5 years ago from a build your own PC course I did It has 1 large ARX PC BRUSHLESS FD121-S3133E DC 12v 0.32A ZP fan at the back underneath the PSU not 100% sure but I think its the fan that takes the air out the other 2 fans are just my stock amd cpu fan and the fan on my GPU, the side part of the case that comes off has a circle and square with grates over it I think the circle is a spot where another fan can be put, the front has a silver mesh stuff with small holes in it all over it and small square grill at the bottom for air ventilation, all the slots where your GPU goes in are closed over no unneeded spots are open but I did mention that when I did those test the side of my pc case was open.

If the fan in the back is so weak you can't tell if it's pushing or pulling then you need to get a stronger fan, especially since it seems to be the only case ventilation fan on your system. My friend, you have inadequate case ventilation.

my motherboard has a built in red msi easy overclock thing with two switches, when they are turned on all my overclocking in bios is done by just upping the multiplier to x14 x10 x10 etc and the FSB is at 200 and greyed out and unchangeable but if the easy overclock switches are off I still have the x14 x10 x10 multiplier just the maximums are lower as in 3360 GHz as opposed to 3600 GHz but the FSB is changeable when the easy overclock switches are off

my question is, is my CPU a black edition and should I have the motherboard easy overclock switches off so that I can use the multipliers and be able to change the FSB?

Last edited:
Black edition or not, you should have the switches off.
945's are not black editions.

Ditto. You should have all auto overclocking genies/wizards turned off! The will conflict with any manual overclocking steps you take. Auto overclock wizards are for sissies. Besides, they don't work very well. Too many compromises built in like lowering the ram frequency way down.

I see NO listing of 945BE cpus so it has NO upward unlocked multiplier and will have a 15 multiplier and ALL overclocking will have to be done by raising the FSB aKa HT Ref Freq.

Overclocking Genies may not be for sissies exactly but if you are going to use an OC Genie you don't need help in a forum. We overclock with as much control of the Overclock in the bios as we can get. So no Genies for us. Genies just set numbers by a preset forumula in bios and should not need forum posts. They go or they don't and that is it in general.
RGone...

Back