• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing a QX6700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, wow.

Some real history there. I remember seeing an interview with the bassist of "War", when they re-united in the late 90's, and he paid tons of tribute to Bootsy, and his back slapping technique. This was after the interviewer initially credited the War bassist with backslapping, ca. '70. That's when I found out Bootsy was the bassist for the JB's. Some real early funk iconic history there. Nice choice of an avatar, my friend.

The problem is: none of the programs you mentioned work with Vista...

^^^

Ahhh...tough break.

I'm a poor example (sig's out of date), but you could add your system info to your sig, and get more relevant responses. Plus, there must be some programs the Vista peeps are using.

Maybe inquire in the s/w section, or start a new thread here with "Vista" somewhere in your thread starter title?

~ Strat ~

yeah, I'll have to see... according to quite a few overclockers, the QX6700 can go up to 3.4 GHz using aircooling... and frankly I'm happy with 3.3GHz.

I've hit 3.46 on air, but not in the summertime! That's the stock air cooler though. I'm working on getting some Zalmans. All four of my quads will run 3.2 on stock air though. Some are hotter than others under load. (65-70C)

Yeah, so I wasn't wrong... I'm sure I can get 3.33GHz... I SERIOUSLY need to understand how to use the multiplier etc... I've no clue about the voltage... all I tried was 1.5v but obviously it was wrong... your help would be much appreciated.

Dambuster said:
Yeah, so I wasn't wrong... I'm sure I can get 3.33GHz... I SERIOUSLY need to understand how to use the multiplier etc... I've no clue about the voltage... all I tried was 1.5v but obviously it was wrong... your help would be much appreciated.

the multiplier is a snap.

its in your bios settings.

Easiest way to overclock IMO

I meant the way to modify the multiplier... I'd like to give it a try...

^^^

Here ya' go -

This link might be easier than manually listing BIOS options and their paths, while cross-posting back and forth in here:

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41

Link provided courtesy of Tony @ The Tech Repository Forums

I realize you have a P5W-DH, but yours and the P5B-Dlx BIOS' are somewhat similar in the basic funtions, and this guide is a pretty in depth listing of BIOS features and options.

The description of changing the CPU's multi option starts in the 6th pic down, from the top of the link I provided.

For your board speciffically, here's a review that has a lot of BIOS pics and info:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/asus_p5wdh/3.html

Link provided courtesy of neoseeker.com reviews

The above link is simply a mobo review, and isn't as in depth as the 1st link I supplied, but it is specific to your mobo. It's not an optimaization guide, but simply a mobo review that contains a lot of BIOS screenies. You maybe be able to play them both against each other to get both optimaztion and BIOS path info.

Use the optimization and review guides as references, and don't hesitate to ask further questions here, if you'd like. If you have specific questions regarding motherboard options, there is a mobo section here for Asus, where you may get more specific and timely answers. Your mobo is very popular here, and in w/i the overclocking community as a whole.

HTH,

~ Strat ~

yeah thanks, I found it... the only problem is that the maximum is 10x which is already active... so the multiplier isn't a choice... I tried with 8*350 but the pc didn't even start... I don't get it... I started out with a soft frequency and it didn't work... I'm doing something terribly wrong... I'd love to know how to start properly.
Thanks.

:bang head Now, I don't know what to do anymore... no matter what my pc won't even boot up... at least when I chose the OC profile in the BIOS, it'd work but crash when using programs such as FSX... (it was like 333 FSB, 3.33GHz and DDR2 667)
I'm sure I can reach 3.3 GHz with stability, I only don't know what to do... I can go gradually with the voltages but don't have a clue as to what to set it to...

my problem is that the multiplier only goes to 10x... very strange...:shrug: But yeah if I get to 12x, then I'll set to voltage to 1.376. Thanks!

I have it running 3.33 GHz with 333 FSB and 1.375v + 667 MHz ram... I don't have a proper temperature program as there seems to be nothing that's vista cimpatible... so no torture tests for the same reason.

do you think I can OC my ram to 1333 Mhz? cause it's default 1142MHz... would it work with 1111MHz? Do I have to change the voltages?:shrug:

I fail to make it work... it gives me this strange error: "the driver has failed to load".
Other than that, I tested my QX6700 with prime95 and it gives an error (not warning) 51 minutes trough the torture test (I do it custom: min FFT 1024 max FFT 8192, run FFTs in place and 15 mins time to each FFT size).
OC is: 3.33GHz, 333 MHz FSB, 1.375v and DDR2-834Mhz. all ther other voltages are set to auto.
Anyway, as I'm a noob, I was just wondering if there was anything wrong with my settings... cause obviously I'm getting an error upon torture test.
Thanks for helping me out! :)
Oh yea, I was wondering whether increasing my ram frequency would have any impact on performance… it can at least go up to 1142Mhz if not more…

Back