• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing an i5-2500k to 4.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silk186

Registered
I'm upgrading from a i5-750 paired with an OCZ vendetta 2 to an i5-2500k because i got a great price selling my old parts. I hated the cooler, it was difficult to install with the little plastic push pins and I think that I would feel much safer using a cooler with a back plate. I will use a GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and I don't want something that will block DIMS. I also don't think it is worth paying over $50 as I won't be doing an aggressive OC, I will push the 2500k as far as it will go on stock voltage. My main priority is reducing noise.

I also noticed that I can get a corsair h50 for $60, how would this work for my needs and how is noise relative to the other cooling options?

Last edited:
An H60 is less capable than a top HS. The ONLY good premade Bestbuy watercooling experiance is the H100.

The H60, if you read around and search for the H60 threads, it will be evident thats it's not anything special, unless you don't want a huge HS sticking out in your case. And then it's just as good or less than run of the mill heatsinks. And it isn't quiet under high loads.

I'm upgrading from a i5-750 paired with an OCZ vendetta 2 to an i5-2500k because i got a great price selling my old parts. I hated the cooler, it was difficult to install with the little plastic push pins and I think that I would feel much safer using a cooler with a back plate. I will use a GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and I don't want something that will block DIMS. I also don't think it is worth paying over $50 as I won't be doing an aggressive OC, I will push the 2500k as far as it will go on stock voltage. My main priority is reducing noise.

I also noticed that I can get a corsair h50 for $60, how would this work for my needs and how is noise relative to the other cooling options?

Im using a MUX on that same board/cpu and i can use all ram slots. it all depends on how big you ram is.

otherwise a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ is great for the $ just swap the stock fan out with something a lil smaller/quieter.

here is a pic of my board with the MUX push/pull config

IMG_0821.jpg

im using ripjaws and could fit another in the first dimm.

Looks good as I will likely be using ripjaws as well.
Thanks for the pic

Stock cooler might still be pretty quiet at only 4.2GHz, all 2500K's I've had will do that speed on stock voltage +/- a few mV.

If not, I second the Hyper 212+ which you could run the fan barely spinning and it would be sufficient for a 2500K @ 4.2 :)

I'd definitely use a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ for the money.
How many DIMMs are you using?

If just two, look into the VenomousX like I have. Great cooler and only blocks one DIMM slot.

But, in all honesty, you'll be fine with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+.

Back