• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ocz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're looking at OCZ units, I would say go with the powerstreams. Otherwise you could always get a Fortron(AX500 or FSP550), a Seasonic (S12), a Zippy, or if you really want to go high end, a PCP&C Turbo Cool. The Fortron really is the best bang for the buck however.

Blkout said:
Again, I thought we were talking about reliability.

We are talking about that.

the voltage regulation on the best PSUs that Antec has to offer is 3%

TrueControl550

OCZ Powerstream is 1% regulation.

Which by my math makes it 3 times as good as Antec.

Which places a tier above Antec and close to being alongside PCP&C. Which says a lot.

Antec still makes a good PSU that is better then most however they have been slipping lately especially in controlling their 12 V line under loads.

I had a problem with my Antec Trupower which I dumped in favor of an OCZ 520 Powerstream. My voltages would consistanly drop to 11.6 when under a heavy load. Since I have upgraded to this PSU I have not had a single issue. My +12V power is rock solid stable and is always above 12V

It is confusing how many people recommend different power supplies. When replacing my TTGI 320 I had to go through an Enermax EG425, True480, and True550 before finally returning them all and settling on the OCZ Powerstream 520. I am finally happy. I was ready to buy a PCP&C except the noise is a problem for me. the OCZ is quiet, and ROCK solid.

The only thing I DON'T like about it is the lack of the fan on the bottom in favor of the rear fan. This is better for the PSU since it doesn't suck up hot air and reduce max output capability, but if you are air cooling your temps will rise quite noticably.

FWIW I loved the TTGI 320 watt, it was just too small once I got the Prescott and starting OC'ing (actually, It wasn't too bad - no restarts until 3.8GHz).

My other PC has an older Enermax EG365FP and THAT is an awesome power supply. Rock solid, and runs my 3.4 Northy, Radeon 9800 pro, 2 HD, 2 optical, bus powered card reader, 2 blue CC lights, and 6 fans (not including power supply fans) without losing rail stability. I think Enermax, like Antec, used to have better products. I know the EG701 is highly regarded though.

I did not like the Antecs. they seemed to me the least of the lot, and the rails (even on the 550) were way weak under load. FWIW, the True550 has 30A on 12v (not 24A, that was the old one). i think the Antecs perform poorly when hot...and mine seemed to be quite hot most of the time.

Everyone here seems to like Fortron too, but the low price may have something to do with it. For style, power, reliability, and warranty I'd go OCZ again in a heartbeat. I think the only better choise is probably the PCP&C. I chose the 520 over the 600 because I think it is better to have the 12v amps availble wherever you need it, rather than limiting available amps by splitting the rails.

Shane

Category 5 said:
FWIW
Shane

Sorry shane, But what the hell does FWIW mean? :p I see you mentioned that a few times on your post, I just can't break it into words :bang head :p

The Fortron/Sparkle are recommended because their rails are very steady and the psu is very reliable. Well not all models ofcourse. But in my humble opinion the 530W/550W have godly internals. :p

OH! Sorry. I hate it when I can't decipher an abbreviation. It means For What It's Worth.

I am inclined to try the Fortron on a future build, at least where I am being more budget minded. I'd love to have the PCP&C in the studio workstation, but I am already fighting fan noise as it is.

Shane

Thanks for clarifying FWIW...hehehe..Now it's all clear :p How does the 700W zippy sounds for your budget? It's priced almost the same as the PCPnC but will obviously much more quiet coz it can produce a ton of power. You'd be hard pressed to heat that unit and make the fan spin really fast. The unit has 45amps/12V alone. lol :p

Zippys are loud! If you can't stand the noise of the PCP&C I wouldn't get a Zippy. Also, if you are running a DFI NF4 don't get the Zippy due to compatability issues.

Last edited:
well their prices have come down since rthey first came out, they are considered good quality for what they are as well..520 is fine,,, check the rails and most systems anyways dont use more that 300 watts anyways..

Back