• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd overclocking a q9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

The specifications of GAK-CORE2 are

Biostar TP45HP
Core 2 QUAD q9650 (Thanks gsrcrxsi!)
g.skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 8GB total
NZXT RC-RST40-01 Heatpipe cooler (looks like i can change out the fan for a better one if i wanted to)
Corsair CX500 power supply

Q9650 comes in the mail and i install it in GAK-CORE2, reset bios, and push it straight up to 445mhz. No go as i get a blue screen. So after adjusting voltages here and there and eventually getting it to boot at 3.8ghz. While trying to get to 4ghz, i found that if i had left speed step and cie support disabled, only cores 0 and 1 would be at 3.8ghz and cores 1 and 2 would be at 2.5ghz. re-enabled the two power saving features and now its a processor fully running at 3.8ghz. As i type this, i currently have prime95 stress testing it to see if its stable. I also enabled thermal throttling too but i dont see it throttling down speeds...yet.

for voltages, i have the processor sitting at around 1.3v vcore and around 1.2v FSB. MCH(1.18v) and DDR (2.0v) are on auto since i see no reason to adjust them myself and since they are already in the safe limits.

Does anyone know what the max unsafe temperatures are for this processor? one of the cores just hit 72c and i read that 45nm processors can degrade at those temperatures while others say 80c or 90c.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE

prime95 just crashed. increasing vcore*

Also, does anyone know which voltages i should change speficially? or what order i should go in? i am able to boot into windows but some programs or even windows crash/bsod so im not sure if i need more vcore or more fsb or mch voltages.

As you push the FSB higher the MCH/NB voltage becomes quite important also drop the memory down to keep that out of the equation

i set the memory to the lowest the board will allow which is 1.9v. currently the vcore for the q9650 is at 1.280v with the fsb at 423...although i am certain that i did change it but im not sure...

also, i will be constantly updating/editing my posts on this thread. as long as the mods are okay with it...

No, I think Johan45 is referring to the memory and NB freqencies, not voltage. Those two frequencies are tied to the BCLK and as you increase the BCLK not only does the CPU frequency increase but those other two do as well and will cause instability. You need to start the set the memory frequency at a lower notch to compensate for that and if there is a separate control for the NB lower that too when it gets to high, though with the NB extra voltage can help you get overclocked considerably higher than stock. Memory can be overclocked past stock frequency with extra voltage as well but not as much room there.

Check the guide as to know what to change...

I wouldnt go back and edit posts. Add to them if nobody has replied, sure. But after someone rellies, just make a new post. :)

On that old platform there's no adjustment for the NB. There are memory straps but that's it at some point the only thing that will stabilize the NB chips is more voltage. A good place to check the current seeting is in monitoring section of BIOS if it shows it or any software that comes with the board. I've never had BIOSTARbut I never thought they had a lot of extras. If that fails you'll have to guess for P45 1.5v is a good starting point but be aware that you can kill the NB chips with too much voltage and would want some active cooling on it as well.

i already read the guide. So far i have it at 4ghz and i just started prime95.

Yes i know about the strap (which i set to 1333 and then set ddr2 667 which rose to 890mhz).

UPDATE

ok so i just saw that workers 2 and 3 stopped working. but workers 0 and 1 were still working. raised vcore to 1.33...although hwmonitor is showing 1.320-1.35

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, the document says you are good past 1.35v... so there is that.

You can also try to isolate and see what the issue is by lowering your cpu multiplier and rasing fsb. This will tell you kf its a board/fsb limit.

The memory you listed is rated to 400 mhz, so if your memory divider is at a 1:1 ratio, you are good to 400 mhz fsb assuming the board can handle it.

I am certain that the board can handle 445mhz FSB and possibly even higher. This memory is known to go up to 914mhz max. It had a core 2 duo e8400 running at 4ghz perfectly fine so im certain it should also handle a q9650 fine.

But i will do as you advised.

The board will reach a higher fsb with a dual than with a quad, note. May need to add some VTT or NB voltage...

If the memory good that high on your board, then you are set on that front. You can also pull two sticks and see if that is playing tricks on you. 8gb was a lot back then. ;)

But yeah, if temps are under 75c load, then id raise the vcore more at this point.

Last edited:
So far everything is working fine. FSB is at 445mhz with ratio set to 6. temps are between 60-70c.

Temps did reach between 75c-80c when i was at 3.8ghz though. maybe i need a better cooler?

And since it looks like FSB is fine, then should i work on adjusting NB or VCORE voltages?

As i said above, try vcore first... :)

A better cooler could help.. even though tjmax is at 100c, i vaguely recall these hitting stability issues above 80c. Perhaps someone still benching with it could help clarify that point.

Cool the NB off too of its getting hot. ;)

So i started over from scratch and by scratch i mean CMOS RESET.

I set cpu ratio down to 6 and raised FSB to 445mhz and stressed tested the processor for about 15 minute. all pass. raise the multiplier to 9 FSB left at 445 with vcore set to around 1.375 and hwmonitor and cpuz is telling me that the processor is only taking in 1.320v even at full prime95 load.

Disable Intel speed step and now only cores 0 and 1 are at 4ghz while cores 2 and 3 are at 2.5ghz. even at full prime 95 load but nothings crashing.

right now im turning off c1e and rerunning prime95...will keep you all posted.

EDIT: also no changes were made to vtt or nb/sb or ddr. only vcore.

missed that in the guide. whoops.

So i guess 3.8ghz is the max i can hit then.

Weird thing is, if i disable c1e and enable speed step, i get all cores at 4ghz with vcore at 1.368. if i put down some load though, then voltage drops and prime95 workers stop.

Looking around for vdroop mods on this board but im not finding much other than doing actual soldering. and i can solder, but i am just not sure about that level of soldering.

There isnt an LLC setting? Otherwise, you need to compensate with using a higher idle voltage.

Back