• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OEM Motherboards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skimyy

Hello.

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading OEM computers?
I am trying to do a budget build and the only things that I need upgrading are the Mobo, CPU, and RAM.
So I thought instead of starting from scratch, why not use what I already have?

So I have decided to upgrade my Acer AM5100 Desktop (Over 4 years old).

I have built computers from scratch before, but this OEM upgrade is a whole new ball game to me.

I have done some research and it turns out that Upgrading the Mobo from OEM computers are a big pain in the butt. (Mainly because my Windows Vista Home Premium is a OEM version).

IF I had a spare $100 to burn, I wouldn't waste any more time, and just go ahead and buy a Windows 7 Retail for my upgrade. (Rather be investing the $100 for better CPU/GPU).

I do have a factory settings Recovery disk that I can burn to reinstall my OS. But the question is: Can I reactivate my OEM Vista with a new motherboard?

Nope. I think its tied down to your hardware... specifically the motherboard in OEM case. You may be able to call MS and have them activate it, but...... not sure.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It depends, I had an Acer loaded with windows vista and I was able to reinstall it on a Gigabyte mobo. Just had to call microsoft and enter in like a 40 digit key they gave me.

It depends, I had an Acer loaded with windows vista and I was able to reinstall it on a Gigabyte mobo. Just had to call microsoft and enter in like a 40 digit key they gave me.

40 digit?

I do have a 25 digit key that came with the Desktop.

Can you tell me more on what it "depends" on?

40 digit?

I do have a 25 digit key that came with the Desktop.

Can you tell me more on what it "depends" on?

The agreement the OEM made with Microsoft.

I entered in the product off the side panel of my Acer, then it prompted me to call a Microsoft number and a new box popped up in which I entered the new code Microsoft gave me.

Hope this helps.

The agreement the OEM made with Microsoft.

I entered in the product off the side panel of my Acer, then it prompted me to call a Microsoft number and a new box popped up in which I entered the new code Microsoft gave me.

Hope this helps.

Upon further research, it looks like Microsoft will allow a transfer of OEM OS to a new motherboard if the reason for a new mobo is a replacement for a faulty mobo. Was this your case?

Upon further research, it looks like Microsoft will allow a transfer of OEM OS to a new motherboard if the reason for a new mobo is a replacement for a faulty mobo. Was this your case?

Nope. I wanted to overclock.

Nope. I wanted to overclock.

Hmm. Alright.
I think I will go ahead and order my new Mobo.
I hope this will work with Microsoft.

One more question.

Did you use the Acer Recovery Disk to install Vista? Or did you have to get an official Vista Install disk?

It was Windows 7 for me and I used a windows install disk.

I did a clean install and entered in the product key from the sticker that gets attached to the computer (generally side panel). Then went through the steps I had in my previous post.

Back