• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Office 365 is a BUGGY MESS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
My company moved from an earlier version of Microsoft Office to Office 365.

Office 365 is very pretty, and has some great online collaboration capabilities...but it's a buggy mess.

Spreadsheets that ran fine in the earlier version of office will now just "do stuff" (with the hourglass spinning) for up to 1 minute...and this isn't even something complicated...like typing a value in a cell.

Oh - and let's not even get started on how with Office 365 the DEFAULT is to open multiple spreadsheets in the same instance of Excel...so, when 1 spreadsheet decides to just "do stuff" or eventually Excel crashes, all of the spreadsheets get taken out...I hoped you saved them!

Of course, you can get around this by:
- Right clicking on the Excel icon in the task bar
- Hold the ALT key while left clicking on the Excel icon on the popup menu
- Clicking on "Yes" on the next popup windo

Of course, I had to scour the internet to figure this out...and there is not an option to force Excel to open in a new instance.

Microsoft quality control has taken a major nose dive in the past few years...

/Rant off

Oof, that sucks. I suppose I've been lucky (and likely work with more simple spreadsheets, etc) as it's worked flawlessly for me.

The ALT thing I knew (I think other apps do this too?), but thankfully, never had to use. That's good to know. :)

I'd reach out to MS and ask WTF is going on with this version and see why it won't work with that spreadsheet nice.

If you Google my symptoms, you will see many people having the same complaint. Their answer is to run the repair tool...which does nothing to fix the problem.

I mean, you can google just about anything and get hits... but, I hear ya. I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't run into it, that's for sure!

Hopefully they find the common denominator and get it fixed for ya. :)

Doing a quick update here for folks that might find this doing some "Google-Fu".

I was able to improve the "random" Excel 365 hanging by fixing Conditional Formatting.

• There seems to be a bug with Excel 365 when it opens a spreadsheet created with earlier versions of Excel
  • This bug causes it to totally FUBAR conditional formatting in some circumstances
  • For the spreadsheets that were causing me problems, #REF appeared in the conditional formatting equations
  • In other cases, Excel 365 took conditional formatting of a column, and created individual entries for each row...in one spreadsheet there was like a billion entries for conditional formatting on a sheet
If you are having my issue, go to the each sheet in your workbook:

Conditional Formatting --> Manage Rules --> This Worksheet

If you are having the same problem, this list make take a while to populate, so give it a few minutes. From here, you can either correct the offending rules (like I did with the #REF) or you may have to entirely delete the formatting rules from the sheet:

Conditional Formatting --> Clear Rules --> Clear Rules from Entire Sheet

Now, this didn't solve all of my problems, but did help some.

We're getting emails in waves/batches instead of as they should be received on Outlook 365 at my work... it's not great so far...

Back