• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official 7900GT Volt Mod Thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

Official 7900GT Volt Mod Thread.

I think the picture speaks for itself, but a little information to avoid confusion.

All that you need to do is connect one of the two points, or both to achieve an overvoltage on the card. ***NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED***

Connecting Yellow point to ground will give you +0.1v or 1.3v vGPU, can be verified at the red point marked out on the card.

Connecting Orange point to ground provides +0.2v or 1.4v vGPU, can be verified at the red point marked out on the card.

Connecting both the Yellow and Orange point to ground provides +0.1v & +0.2v or 1.5v vGPU.

7900GT.jpg

Personally I would not run more than 1.4v on stock cooling, temps will be rather high, and I wouldn't expect the card to scale well at all.

It is possible to achieve 0.05v as well, but to keep this simple I have left it out. Most people will be modding to 1.4v on air, and 1.5v on water. It is also possible, with the removal of componets to achieve grater than 1.5v. I would highly suggest not going over 1.5v unless you are running water cooling at a minimum.

1.4-1.5v with good cooling should provide the ability to clock up to, or over 700mhz core on these 7900GTs.

7900GT 1.5v Hard Mod.

First locate this area on the top left of the card. This is where we will be working.

stock.jpg

Once you locate that area, the resistor in the top left above u502 needs to be removed and replaced with a 50k resistor.

modded.jpg

This mod can be used in conjunction with the above 'ink' mods to increase voltage beyond 1.5v. There are also OCP resistors, and a bucket mod. I'll add those on later today.

Last edited:
Rock on! Can't wait to see what these score when nVidia decides to start stocking like they should be!!

:cool:
cant wait to see some results
as im wondering if i should keep my 512mb x1800xt or get one of these

You know what I didn't even realize? I can't believe no POTs are required!!

That is just SO EASY!

What kind of temps are you guys getting when your at 1.5v and on what type of cooling? How safe do you guys think 1.5v is? I feel comfortable with 1.4v on water cooling, but I don't know about 1.5v especially with summer coming up.

I'm running about 45C load at 1.5v watercooled

I would also recommend putting sinks on these ICs

HotICs.jpg

Pic taken from the XS thread

Mine were extremely hot after the mod

I'm getting an Asus TOP version, does anyone know if any of the memory modules are covered w/ anything that would still work w/ my waterblock? for example, I didn't have to use all my ramsinks on my 7800GT bc there was a stock heatsink I could use for 4 of them.

img2022110lo.jpg

I want to do this volt mod, but if the 7900GT doesn't have anything I'll have to use all my ramsinks on the memory and will have to buy extra for the two IC's on the back of the card.

also, what is best to use, a pencil or one of those pens?

seein as you have to connect to ground... i would say you need to solder on a wire. it should be a piece of cake, even for beginners. just alittle archofwire, and connect to whichever one you want to use, or you can stick it across to both if you desire the 1.5V.

soloz2 said:
also, what is best to use, a pencil or one of those pens?

you can use a conductive pen / paint for the Vgpu mod...many have done it already. A pencil can be used for the Vmem mod, but be extremely careful as it is not exactly an "accurate" method

Codeman05 said:
you can use a conductive pen / paint for the Vgpu mod...many have done it already. A pencil can be used for the Vmem mod, but be extremely careful as it is not exactly an "accurate" method

Yup, that is exactly what I did. I should have taken pics, but I didn't. Here is the pic I used as a guide. It is easy to do. Only thing is the pen costs like $13 if you don't already have one at your disposal.
7900vmod_diag.jpg

Last edited:
four4875 said:
are the pads beside the points grounded? i figured that they werent, caus nothin was mentioned about bein able to just bridge them

No, they are not.

Alchemy1 said:
What kind of temps are you guys getting when your at 1.5v and on what type of cooling? How safe do you guys think 1.5v is? I feel comfortable with 1.4v on water cooling, but I don't know about 1.5v especially with summer coming up.

My watercooling is in my sig. I never get over around 41-42 with 1.5v. I ran 1.55v for a while and temps were around 46-48. Idle and load don't change much though, idle is around 39 and load 41-42.

Marlon

is there a volt mod for the memory?

Also great job with the 1.4 voltmod guys :thup: 700mhz on the core is sweet.

7900_1_5mod.sized.jpg

Slightly different to the "normal" mods, due to the this card not loving high voltages and a little more control being required.
1.5 VID "hardmod" with VR's to decrease/increase vGPU (1.37 - limited by UVP -> ~ 1.57-1.6 (limited by OVP)
vDD mod, 1.9 -> 2.4v

Currently card runs 660/850 on 1.415/2.03 benchable (tho totally clean) rams clean at 1010mhz w/ 2.15 vDD as well, but can't hit those speeds with high GPU speeds (yet ;))

-aDaM^ said:
is there a volt mod for the memory?

Also great job with the 1.4 voltmod guys :thup: 700mhz on the core is sweet.

There is. You can hardmod, or pencil. I prefer hardmod.

My card will be hardmodded to 1.5v vGPU & 2.2v vDDR tommorrow.

Codeman05 said:

Wanna ask: is it possible to "erase" the line made by a conductive pen? :shrug:

Back