• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official iPhone 5 Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the second mic was added on 4/4s on top next to headphones jack.
read just now on gizmodo
"The new iPhone now has three microphones, instead of two. One on the front, one on the bottom, and one on the back. The handset also features what Apple calls an “improved speaker design.”"

My mistake, I hadn't realised that the 4S had two so reading comments about an extra mic made me think that it meant a second one.

Unlimited for $29.99 is only available to those that were grandfathered in, but Verizon does not allow you to be grandfathered if you buy a subsidized option with the 2-yr renewal plans on new phones...

Do you still get 4G service, or will the Verizon not let the phone connect to the 4G towers? If you would be stuck on 3G, upgrade. If you can keep unlimited data and receive 4G signal, I think it would be worth buying the phone full price.

It's not 2GB/month technically anymore, Verizon is moving everyone to shared data plans.

Do you still get 4G service, or will the Verizon not let the phone connect to the 4G towers? If you would be stuck on 3G, upgrade. If you can keep unlimited data and receive 4G signal, I think it would be worth buying the phone full price.

It's not 2GB/month technically anymore, Verizon is moving everyone to shared data plans.

I was told that if I paid full price for the iPhone 5 I could keep my unlimited data plan and I'd receive it even at 4G LTE...

There is a loophole in Verizon's unlimited plan. If you buy the phone on contract on a different line then your unlimited one. You can then go and have them switch the phone to your unlimited line, keeping your unlimited plan and not paying full price. Of course it only works if you have multiple lines and one of them is up for upgrade.

If your one of those though and you plan to stay with Verizon, its a way around paying full price.

I can't confirm this myself, my 2 unlimited lines are At&t and they let me keep my plan with the new i5.:shrug:

I heard this on the latest episode of the "Cell Phone Junkie" Podcast. A listener or emailer called it in.

These 2 carriers (At&t and Verizon) are neck and neck for greediest Co.'s in the world. IMHO:(

The bonus of the Verizon model though is its unlocked, as of right now you can pop an At&T or any GSM(Rogers, etc.) sim in and connect to 3G/FauxG...but not LTE.

Last edited:
There is a loophole in Verizon's unlimited plan. If you buy the phone on contract on a different line then your unlimited one. You can then go and have them switch the phone to your unlimited line, keeping your unlimited plan and not paying full price. Of course it only works if you have multiple lines and one of them is up for upgrade.

If your one of those though and you plan to stay with Verizon, its a way around paying full price.

I can't confirm this myself, my 2 unlimited lines are At&t and they let me keep my plan with the new i5.:shrug:

I heard this on the latest episode of the "Cell Phone Junkie" Podcast. A listener or emailer called it in.

These 2 carriers (At&t and Verizon) are neck and neck for greediest Co.'s in the world. IMHO:(

The bonus of the Verizon model though is its unlocked, as of right now you can pop an At&T or any GSM(Rogers, etc.) sim in and connect to 3G/FauxG...but not LTE.

Thanks for the info. As far as the "trick" you mentioned... the problem with that is the family member of mine that uses a non-smart phone doesn't have a data plan. Wouldn't it opt her in?

You cant hold onto the unlimited plan from VZW forever. If carriers and ISPs can stretch the word unlimited now, what makes one think they won't take it further by next year?

Sorry but the iPhone is a joke. Everything "new" on that phone has been out for generations already. I had the iPhone 2G, the 3G, the 3GS, and the 4 and then I realized I bought the same dumbed down and locked up phone 4 times.

I have learned to despise Apple, especially after these recent lawsuits. Apple blatantly copied Android notifications among other things they apparently pioneered - at least thats what the zombies think.

HTC One X is still a superior piece of hardware , with a far superior operating system, AND a better screen.

Unlimited for $29.99 is only available to those that were grandfathered in, but Verizon does not allow you to be grandfathered if you buy a subsidized option with the 2-yr renewal plans on new phones...

I was grandfathered in with my Droid X phone, and i just got the new Droid Razr MAXX and DIDN'T lose my unlimited data. So i would check to see whats going on there. As far as i know as long as you dont change the phone plan your good to go, just changing the phone doesn't affect the data / grandfatherhood (<- Yes i made a new word today cause im tired, deal with it ;))

I'm glad to hear this, as it is exactly what I intend to do. I'm waiting for that Galaxy Note 2 though.

Worst comes to worst, I just wind up telling them that I'm going to drop my service and pick it back up with a competitor.

Sorry but the iPhone is a joke. Everything "new" on that phone has been out for generations already. I had the iPhone 2G, the 3G, the 3GS, and the 4 and then I realized I bought the same dumbed down and locked up phone 4 times.

I have learned to despise Apple, especially after these recent lawsuits. Apple blatantly copied Android notifications among other things they apparently pioneered - at least thats what the zombies think.

HTC One X is still a superior piece of hardware , with a far superior operating system, AND a better screen.
I love Android. I miss Android. I love Apple and I hate Apple. I also have no choice but to stick with Apple because of work. They don't support Android for work email and I have to have work email with me at all times for what I do. If I go with an Android phone, they will have to give me a BlackBerry. I carried both phones for over a year and got sick of it. At work, the iPhone is fully supported so the majority of our 2600+ employees use it.
I was grandfathered in with my Droid X phone, and i just got the new Droid Razr MAXX and DIDN'T lose my unlimited data. So i would check to see whats going on there. As far as i know as long as you dont change the phone plan your good to go, just changing the phone doesn't affect the data / grandfatherhood (<- Yes i made a new word today cause im tired, deal with it ;))

Who's your service provider? It wouldn't let me choose unlimited when I tried to order through apple.com and through Verizon Wireless online... it made me choose one of the tiered data plans. :(

If it means anything, I canceled my order for the iPhone 5. If I'm going to get it, I'm going to pay full price if that's the only way to keep my unlimited plan...

HTC One X is still a superior piece of hardware, with a far superior operating system, AND a better screen.

This is a little bit OTT. Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. I would say that IOS is still the clear winner for many consumers and the market reflects that.

Sorry but the iPhone is a joke. Everything "new" on that phone has been out for generations already.

The CPU is a new arc that seems faster than anything except ARMs A15 which hasn't made it into devices yet. Yes some quad core designs equal its performance in geekbench, but in the real world I imagine that few mobile games will be optmised for more than two threads.

The camera also seems to outdo those on the current crop of Android phones, I don't recall which site posted it but I recently read a roundup where it clearly outdid every phone camera except for that of the Pureview 808.

As for LTE, I can understand why they waited, it wasn't until the current crop of giant screened Android handsets that anyone managed to do 4G with decent battery life. Coverage has been pretty spotty too. Until 2-3 months ago, citing 4G support as a major advantage for a phone was the same as citing 802.11ac support in your tablet.

The lawsuits anger me, and I don't like Apple as a company. Also Android offers certain interesting options for geeks which would require jailbreaking on IOS. However, none of these have anything to do with which phone is best for my mum, dad or girlfriend. In fact, even as a geek myself I prefer IOS over Android. I don't really wish to tinker with my phone and I want it small, powerful and user friendly. Vast screens and custom ROMs interest me not at all because I do that sort of thing on my tablets which are less essential day to day pieces of kit.

You cant hold onto the unlimited plan from VZW forever. If carriers and ISPs can stretch the word unlimited now, what makes one think they won't take it further by next year?
Yeah , but why drop it on your own? If it saves money over a shared plan, keep it as long as you can.

Thanks for the info. As far as the "trick" you mentioned... the problem with that is the family member of mine that uses a non-smart phone doesn't have a data plan. Wouldn't it opt her in?

Yeah G Man , this is only going to work for a limited # of folks. It also can't be done online,.

Last edited:
I dont know why people are so excited about this phone everything they have done to the iphone 5 android has been done. Galaxy III here I come. I have tested the 5 and SGIII and see no real reason to switch to the I5. Guess I just like android . Just my opinion tho

I dont know why people are so excited about this phone everything they have done to the iphone 5 android has been done. Galaxy III here I come. I have tested the 5 and SGIII and see no real reason to switch to the I5. Guess I just like android . Just my opinion tho
Yeah but you have brand new hardware. I would think most of the upgrades will come from i4 owners who skipped the 4S.

Thats what I'm replacing, its a huge upgrade from the i4. The younger crowd my daughter communicates with are all in the ios eco system. Use the imessage all the time, and prefer the smaller screens to fit in their pockets. Screen size doesn't matter, because their eyes are so good.

So this isn't a phone to sway Android users at all. I'm looking forward to testing it around my area for our LTE coverage, lots of speed tests. I think just the fact we are on these forums means we are not typical consumers. We are all power users pushing our phones to the limit.

Personally I'm patiently waiting for a new Nexus, with LTE.;)

I do agree with the ios comments, the i5 would be perfect with Key Lime Pie on it. The look of ios is simply become ancient.

Last edited:
Back