• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official: What Have I Killed Benching Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I killed a P5B Deluxe and an Abit Quad GT.....both were killed by me for not insulating well enough. The single stage did its job however :D

This was a while ago though....the boards were about 150$ a piece at the time.

Gigabyte 965P-DS3
wanted to bench, so I went water, and it got wet..
:p

8600GT
used it for a benching competition, got it to 1100mhz core and 900 mem(100% oc on core on air), it was also my first ever vmod

still worked when the contest ended, got it home, but it was dead

8800GTS 640MB
Same story, the waterleak that got my mobo also got to my gfx card, which meant a dead card :(

The bad part about this thread is that it makes me want to volt-mod more :shrug:

Luckily nothing for me, but I might kill my E7200/E8400 soon...

Oh oh oh I got a good one and an OK one. First one goes back a few years

Abit Intel Mobo (forgot model back in 2003)
Fried DDR Memory Voltage Regulator... Nice poof of smoke, suprisingly it was working for a while even after it went. Overall mobo failed.

Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi edition.. (May 2007 right when the 2900XT came out)
I know I have pics somewhere on the forums on this. Some how during my water cooling phase, it was working for a while nice and smoothly, couldn't figure it out loadded, unloaded and even turned off I was picking up residual voltage on the waterblock. When the system was off I was picking up less than a volt, and on I was picking up full 12 volts. I could not figure it out one bit. Board looked good, no contact issues, the slots where the bolts when through where totally fine.
One morning just before I was leaving for work after I was going to let the PC run all day it happened. Loud bang, flames shooting out the back side of the PC, yet the whole system was still running perfectly fine. Took a look at the damage, it blew a hole through the motherboard on one of the slots, melted the threads togeather on the bolt, charred the back of the case, smelt horrible. Basically no visible damage on the front side of the board.
This had to be my best hardware death :) Right before gaming weekend (friday morning) and I had to get it replaced ASAP. No other hardware was damaged in this incident.

Here goes:

ATI 9600XT killed with a magnetic screwdriver. doh'
ATI 9600Pro killed removing Ramsink
P5AD2-E killed reading mem voltage
36GB raptor went poof one day due to an overloaded unstable 12v line.
2 sticks of OCZ Platinum Rev 2 6400 from overvolting.
Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R NB fried from too much MCH.

updated my killed section unfortunately....:cry:

I bought it in Akihabara (Tokyo Japan)...I don't know if they'd do an exchange or not..hmmm maybe I'll PM Miahallen and ask him to swing by there and check that out for me. I'm scouring the net now looking for another of the same batch...hard to find for sure:(

And don't feel bad about it, these chips are expensive and designed for overclockers. Over-volting and whatever are totally within reason and expected. After all, they're 'Extreme Edition' chips. Intel would not have invited FUGGER to IDF last year and displayed a 5.5GHz frozen York during the keynote if they didn't expect to see guys doing every crazy thing in the book with them.

lol Mark,

I'm totally clueless as to how it started to die...I mean one day I'm running 5.7 at -140c and everything is fine...the next thing you know when I'm on air at stock everything and the darn thing loses two cores..and now it is completly dead :confused: Yep I'll do the RMA thing for sure....:beer:

It's happened to other quads, lets face it we punish them pretty good :D

Denny lost a core in LA on his, I have no idea why he didn't get another chip ;)

Well , I killed a pair of very nice DDR2-1066 Ballistix (D9's double sided) tonight in my quest to hit 500 FSB on my Q9650...I think it is a sign to go over to DDR3 for good:screwy:

I fried my P5Q Deluxe P45 good, and I'm afraid I killed one of my 4850's as well,
Here is what happened...
I was trying to reset the CMOS with a jumper and I did not look properly what I was doing, so I stuck the jumper accross a fan header that was like right next to the CMOS pins, I pushed the power button and just saw sparks and I heard a pop, when I looked I saw that the short arced across to an adjacent MOSFET and actually chip that black stuff covering the mosfet away expsosing the undelying bare mosfet. The vid card fan connector was right next to it and I think it jumped across there somehow as well....what a waste

Last edited:
See the mosfet in the middle of the pic, chipped away by the force of an electric arc created by the sort. The blue jumper is the CMOS reset, the whit header fan to the lower left of the blue jumper is where I put the jumper thinking it was the CMOS reset pins...let that be a lesson for all, don't fiddle with jumpers in poor light in your case.

Attachments

• DSCF1246.JPG
    DSCF1246.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 946
Back