• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

offset voltage not dropping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

SPECS OF THE MACHINE

AMD Ryzen 2700
Asus Crosshair VII x470 HERO
G.SKill 16GB of DDR4-3200MHZ CL14

The problem i am having here is that when i overclock the board using offset voltages, the offset voltage does not drop but the clock speed does.

Yes, balanced power mode is enabled.

eCLK Mode is in "async mode"
CPU CORE VOLTAGE is set to offset coltage + 0.33750 (total 1.337 lol)

CPU LLC is at level 5 althogh if i drop it then vcore drops during load and then goes back up when idle

PSS support is enabled

Global C-state control is enabled
power supply idle control is currently set to typical current idle.

I know that on intel i can do offset overclocking with both clock and voltage dropping down when idle and then go up when load is applied. how do i apply these same rules to Ryzen all within the bios?

It really should be working with your settings. Did you alter the minimum processor state in Windows PP? This is done to prevent core parking and will display those traits.

I made sure minimum was set to 5 percent with Max at 100 percent. Not sure what that had to do with my vcore offset though.

That should work?
Also put the eCLK in Synchronous mode unless you're messing with BCLK overclocking, async slightly affects the memory bandwidth and latency

You have a crosshair VII johan?

If so, can you try testing this yourself and see if the same thing happens?

if not, you think i should try to report this on the asus support forums? is there anything else i can try before i do?

EDIT: I mean im under the impression that this might be some bug in the bios...

Last edited:
Which BIOS are you using?
Yes I do have one but it's not set up right now. I'm using a 2600 in my CHVI and it downclocks/volts like it should with just a multi OC
Have you tried resetting the BIOS and plugging the numbers in again? Possible some switch got flipped in there which is causing this

yes i did but still not doing what its supposed to.

What are your bios settings exactly? maybe i could try that and see if it works for me.

post when you can. not in a big hurry here.

EDIT: bios version is 804. will be flashing to 702. stand by...

Last edited:
I'll see what I can do. The CHVII has been torn down since I did LN2 a few weeks ago
You might want to try BIOS 601 or 702. I haven't heard this specific issue but i have heard complaints about 804

trying bios 702 so far. still showing me the same issues. Pressed the bios reset button while the board was off and retried again. Still same issue...moving down to 601*

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder if it's a windows thing?
I thought I had a pic of it working. This is Wi7 though but still it shows downclock/volt BIOS 702 on CHVII WiFi

3d11 23553.JPG

Is that a fresh Windows and chipset drivers installed. What does it say if you check the motherboard section in HWInfo?
I'm getting something set up right now but might not finish tonight have company comng
Win 10 I assume?

went nuclear and reinstalled windows 10. Allowed asus grid to install all the neccessary drivers and punched in the same numbers as before.

I found that the ryzen power plan was also installed and set minimum in that plan from 90 to 5 percent minimum. Now i am seeing several cores jump between 0.750 to 1.356 but cpu clocks will not go down. not sure where i screwed up there...

I don't think it's you. I installed win7 and 10 on my CHVII last night and initial findings, Win 10 isn't down volting. Can possibly test a bit more tonight

You think you could try testing on other am4 mother boards? If not, that's cool. I'll try emailing asus about it and link them this thread instead.

I have enough time to do a quick test on Win7 since I installed both last night. I'll report back in 5

EDIT: OK it has to be the BIOS. Both Win10 and 7 stay at full voltage and I know for a fact that this board down volted previously. I do know that ASUS has been having some sensor issues. They started a different type of monitoring in one BIOS then took it away in the next and it's quite possible they have broken something along the way. I'm sure they know already especially with all the whining in the CHVII thread at another forum. IMO it'll likely take a new BIOS to fix it again and they are working on one based on the latest AGESA released from AMD a while ago. My advice would be to be patient. If you look at the monitor the power usage(W) goes down and it won't hurt the processor.

Last edited:
I have enough time to do a quick test on Win7 since I installed both last night. I'll report back in 5

EDIT: OK it has to be the BIOS. Both Win10 and 7 stay at full voltage and I know for a fact that this board down volted previously. I do know that ASUS has been having some sensor issues. They started a different type of monitoring in one BIOS then took it away in the next and it's quite possible they have broken something along the way. I'm sure they know already especially with all the whining in the CHVII thread at another forum. IMO it'll likely take a new BIOS to fix it again and they are working on one based on the latest AGESA released from AMD a while ago. My advice would be to be patient. If you look at the monitor the power usage(W) goes down and it won't hurt the processor.
So even if the voltage and freq are reading at Max and the watts is reading low, it should be fine?

Edit: just got my hands on my dad's multi meter. Tested vcore and same thing as software. Offset Voltage not lowering when idle.

Last edited:
Back