• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh thats just great...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
So I gathered up a few different drives I had spare and decided to make a single DVD ripping rig this weekend.

I kept running into non recoverable GRUB errors (I would fix the error and it would still fail).

Pop in the Live CD again and JUG for fixes and come to find out that linux doesnt play well with a mix of SATA and PATA drives amongst other things.

I can install XP on this machine without an issue, why does Linux have issue with a mix of SATA and PATA?

Epox 9NPA
3800x2
4gb PC3200
3x SATA 320gb
1x SATA 500gb
1x SATA 160gb
2x SATA 250gb
1x SATA dual layer burner

I have tried every combo and for whatever reason it will NOT work if there is any SATA involved reliably.

i used a mix of SATA and PATA on my old server and it worked.. ummm try to install linux with only one drive connected, then connect the other ones and make sure the initial drive is 1st in the boot device

I had issues adding additional hard drives to my ubuntu jaunty rig. All were SATA but it refused to boot when I added an additional hard drive to the system. It was just a data drive that was full of MP3s and AVIs and such. Finally I switched to AHCI mode, I never would have considered that on a windows rig but ubuntu fired up with all the drives without issue in AHCI mode.

I have fought this one before. They way Ubuntu sees the drives, thus how it installs and configures GRUB is different from how GRUB itself will see the drives. It takes some trial and error to figure out which drive GRUB should be pointing to in relation to which drive Ubuntu is actually installed on.

I had issues adding additional hard drives to my ubuntu jaunty rig. All were SATA but it refused to boot when I added an additional hard drive to the system. It was just a data drive that was full of MP3s and AVIs and such. Finally I switched to AHCI mode, I never would have considered that on a windows rig but ubuntu fired up with all the drives without issue in AHCI mode.

I also had to switch to AHCI mode after passing the 3 hard drive mark. No problems here whatsoever. Lucky for me I got it right on my first try so it didnt even seem like an issue for me.

I also had to switch to AHCI mode after passing the 3 hard drive mark. No problems here whatsoever. Lucky for me I got it right on my first try so it didnt even seem like an issue for me.

:thup: AHCI mode is the way to go—be warned, you will break your Windows install's boot process. And at least when I was doing it, Vista's installer couldn't unbreak it.

I am using both SATA and PATA hard drives on this PC and it works fine. However, initially, it took some screwing around in the kernel because Linux is transitioning its hard drive drivers from the older style PATA drivers to the newer SATA drivers. The problem is that many drives were supported under the old and are now supported under the new, so there are issues with priorities (i.e. which driver should be used for a given drive). I did rebuild the kernel several times trying different combinations until I got it to work. My problem actually wasn't the mix of SATA and PATA but rather just getting the SATA to work reliably.

This is the kind of thing you expect when you use a distro like Gentoo where you get cutting edge software and are expected to sort out the bugs. Right now, none of it compares to my hatred of hal/evdev/X.org 1.5. Sometimes you have to wonder why they go and break something that works perfectly fine.

:thup: AHCI mode is the way to go—be warned, you will break your Windows install's boot process. And at least when I was doing it, Vista's installer couldn't unbreak it.

I switched it to Native IDE mode on my new HTPC and was able to work with SATA and PATA.

Im working on figuring out what I am doing wrong with ripping dvds and once that is fixed I am going to go back to the rig with issues and look at it to get it working (want it to be a small fileserver/bedroom PC).

I switched it to Native IDE mode on my new HTPC and was able to work with SATA and PATA.

Im working on figuring out what I am doing wrong with ripping dvds and once that is fixed I am going to go back to the rig with issues and look at it to get it working (want it to be a small fileserver/bedroom PC).

dmesg output's always good :cool:

Good to hear that some measure of progress is being made.

Linux is awesome.. you can tell it everything, pretty easy...especially if you know your installer package name... I thought RPG was an adventure people took in person with dice to decide fate...not a way toinstalll files (sorry if I am wrong here... not that into linux)

Its actually RPM not RPG for package type. The installer varies from distro to distro. Yum is the most common though

well not going to have any issues with this later today.

Got my Perc5i yesterday, going to migrate ALL the sata drives to my rocketfish, all the PATA drives to LiL-CuB3 and figure out what I am going to install in the Mini-CuB3

Lil (YY-0221) Athlon 64 X2 3800 939 rig
Mini (M40) Phenom X3 Am2 rig
Rocketfish (no odd name yet) e6600 rig (os undecided).

Back