• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oily Residue on WC loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeke1389

Im feeling some oily residue in one of my tubing bends. At first i thought it was a leak, but after a couple weeks with a paper towel under the spot in question there are no drip spots, just the same light oily residue. Advice? Suggestion?

It sounds like chemicals leaching out of the plastic. Does your case internal temperature get high (50C+)? And how long have you had the tubing? Lastly, how tight is the bend?

Whole rig is only a month. Case temp stays pretty low. Only 10 degrees f over room temp which is 72. Bend is pretty tight, even by my standards and I work on oil rigs and wrenches for hands. You think it may be leaching through the tubing? Its only in one spot, nowhere else in the loop is having the problem.

If it's leaching at the sharp bend, I was thinking it might be the "zit effect", just squeezing the material too tight.

I work on oil rigs

Any chance you got something on it from your hands during install and it soaked in, and it's now leaching out as the tubing warms up?

No i come home pretty clean. It is a pretty sharp bend though so this leaching "zit" effect sounds likely. What can i do about it?

More gentle bend. If you can't move the components to relieve some stress on the bend, maybe a hose clamp at the crease to try to force it into a more round shape?

Im gona gona put an elbow on that connection to take the stress off of the tubing.

if you have that problem again use zip ties to squeeze the tubing back into a round shape.

Back